What's new

New flojet causing foam brush issues

Knight01

Reaction score
I noticed my foam brushes were not working, just air blowing out of them. After tweaking around I realized the flojet was not kicking on. I bought a new one and installed it. Worked like a charm nice thick foam after a few seconds.

But now, the new flojet is doing the same thing. The foam brush gets turned on and nothing but air. I did, mostly out of frustration, learn that a sharp "rap" with a screwdriver handle onto the front of the flojet makes it work again.

Is there something that may be sticking inside the flowjet? What could cause a new one to "stick"? Or could there be some loose connection somewhere? The air line seems to be connected well. I do notice a puff of moisture coming out of the bottom, when it does work, whnever it clicks on to pump.

I just changed out the foaming chemical from JBS with a new container, so I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Attachments

Martins

Reaction score
All of the bays, the flojet pumps for all of the foam brushes.
Right right, what i mean is, is the pump not activating when called up on all bays or is it only not working with 1 specific bay.

Knight01

Reaction score
When the pump is not working, it does not work for any Bay. Regardless of which is calling for the foam brush.

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
It's most likely water or oil in the air. The shuttle valve doesn't like that. The muffler is missing, which is more evidence.

Knight01

Reaction score
It's most likely water or oil in the air. The shuttle valve doesn't like that. The muffler is missing, which is more evidence.
The muffler? I didn't know there should be a muffler, that is all that came with the new one. Is that something I need to purchase separately?

Randy

Reaction score
If you have to tap the back of the pump to get it to work I would think that you might have a bad pump. I'd probably replace the pump again. Do you have a oil water separator on the air line feeding your pump?

MEP001

Reaction score
The muffler? I didn't know there should be a muffler, that is all that came with the new one. Is that something I need to purchase separately?
There was a muffler on it, but it's a very dense foam rubber. If it gets wet it can't flow air and blows off. That is the indicator that you most likely have water coming out in the air. Do you have a water separator on the air line?

Knight01

Reaction score
There was a muffler on it, but it's a very dense foam rubber. If it gets wet it can't flow air and blows off. That is the indicator that you most likely have water coming out in the air. Do you have a water separator on the air line?
I found the black foam rubber muffler on the one I replaced and put it on the new one. It seems like it should come with one, but did not.

The only thing I have between the compressor and the flojet is a regulator. (Pic) I found several on kleenrite, is one needednfor each air line or would I just put it on the compressor line prior to this regulator that feeds all the flojets?

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
If you’re getting any water in your Flojet pumps you need an inline air filter water separator on your main airline coming out of your air compressor. How often do you blow down the air tank on your air compressor? I forget to drain the tank so I have an automatic drain valve on my air tank that blows the tank down once a day.

Knight01

Reaction score
I hate to re-visit this, but I took advice and got an inline filter from Lowes (pic). After about a week there is no water, oil, or anything in it. The Flojet is still 'sticking' until I give it a 'rap' on the front and then it work for several hours.

Also, I reduced the air pressure to be lower than the chemical pressure and while the foam is still doing well (pic), that also had no effect on the flojet not kicking on when called by the system.

Is there anything else I could try or could be suggested? Did I need to do anything more than just reduce the air pressure and put the inline filter on the compressor?

@MEP001 @Randy @soapy

Attachments

Randy

Reaction score
The spool or shuttle valve inside the pump is hanging up. About the only thing you can do is replace the pump.

MEP001

Reaction score
That filter is better than nothing, but you need something much more substantial that you can drain (or that has an auto-drain).

Whenever I install a new Flojet I go around and tighten the screws as tight as I can by hand. I've had a lot less trouble with them since I started doing that.

soonermajic

Reaction score
That filter is better than nothing, but you need something much more substantial that you can drain (or that has an auto-drain).

Whenever I install a new Flojet I go around and tighten the screws as tight as I can by hand. I've had a lot less trouble with them since I started doing that.
Tighten the FloJet screws? I've never thought of doing that. Im guessing that's been an issue?

MEP001

Reaction score
I had problems with them leaking, so I started tightening the screws. I've had no leak issues and it seems like a lot less problems with them stalling until they're five years old or more.

Knight01

Reaction score
I had problems with them leaking, so I started tightening the screws. I've had no leak issues and it seems like a lot less problems with them stalling until they're five years old or more.
Tighten the flojet mounting screws to prevent leaking of air? I think there is actually 1 screw missing, I didn't think it would matter since there are 3 holding it. I'll find a screw in the morning and see if that helps.