What's new

New Flex Serve (Not So Easy)

iwashcars

Reaction score
Just swithced from fs hand wash to flex serve 1 mth ago. Reaction from customers has been mixed. Negative feedback is that we no longer hand wash the cars & stay in the vehicle while it is washed. I think this will change over time but the overall operation of the flex serve is much more difficult than I had hoped. Although our labor costs are down by about 40% there are some definite downfalls to having less labor. For instance:

-Greeter is now also cashier so average process time is long. He has to explain services, ring up the sale, collect cash or swipe credit card and explain what to do with their vehicle. As a result I have customers backing off the line because it is so slow. We used to process cars faster and we were vacumming the cars before they went onto the conveyer

-some people are hesitant to stay in their vehicles b/c they are claustrophobic, scared or whatever. We try to accommodate which means sending a car through the tunnel with an employee or unattended

-we do not have a cashier anymore so simple tasks such as answering phones & giving change for tips is left to management. Who answers the phone if there is no cashier or receptionist? It cannot be the greeter as he already has too much to do.

-customers are idiots when it comes to riding through the tunnel. Although I've eliminated drive on and drive off labor it comes at an expense of always worrying what the next customer is going to do. In three years as a full serve at this location I never had an insurance claim. In less than three weeks as a flex serve I already had one claim because of customer stupidity.

Simple solutions would be to add a receptionist to answer phones and give out change. I can add a second greeter/cashier on the entrance to speed up process time. But if I do that what have I actually saved in labor and I still have the issue of the idiot customers riding on the conveyor.

Any advice is appreciated....

Paul

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Simple solutions would be to add a receptionist to answer phones and give out change. I can add a second greeter/cashier on the entrance to speed up process time. But if I do that what have I actually saved in labor and I still have the issue of the idiot customers riding on the conveyor.

Any advice is appreciated....

Paul
You may need to do this initialy 6 mos or ore during the learning curve / changeover period . Try a fast food drive thru sustem. First person takes order and $ during busy times. The loader only loads.

iwashcars

Reaction score
You may need to do this initialy 6 mos or ore during the learning curve / changeover period . Try a fast food drive thru sustem. First person takes order and $ during busy times. The loader only loads.
Thanks for the reply Earl. We currently are doing that type of system. The loader only loads but that is not the problem. The greeter/cashier has to explain, up sell and take payment from the customer. This is not a quick process. I'm sure it will get quicker with time as customers get used to it. But there is always going to be some type of issue like a declined credit card or some type of issue with their car. I don't know how I could ever do more than 40-50 cars per hour threw accepting payment like this.

Thanks,
Paul

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
What type of POS system do you have? I think you need to be more realistic about your staffing levels. I have found that a single greeter can handle about 50 CPH effectively. If you are losing customers because of problems with the greeters you need to add a greeter. As your % of exterior only customers rises, your labor rate will be better.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Characteristics of “satisfied” customers are enthusiasm about a company and repeat purchases.

Customer satisfaction index used by carmakers to rate performance of franchisees (dealers) is prepared by analysts who use industry-determined model.

Customer satisfaction = business performance minus customer expectations

Customer expectations = perceived quality plus perceived value

If customer’s expectations about quality and/or value are not met, outcome is customer complaints and less repeat business.

Assess your CSI by evaluating the comments.

“Negative feedback….no longer hand wash….stay in the vehicle while it is washed.” “…customers backing off line because so slow” “…people are hesitant to stay in their vehicles…claustrophobic, scared or whatever.” “Who answers the phone….?”

“-customers are idiots….riding through the tunnel.” “….still have the issue of the idiot customers riding…conveyor.” “….claim because of customer stupidity.” “….always worrying what customer is going to do.”

Using the equations, business performance less than customer expectations = customers are not satisfied.

Experts find factors that contribute to CSI for Jiffy Lube, AAMCO, MACCO, Goodyear Tire, and other auto service businesses are employees (42%), facilities (17%), services (10%), image (9%) and cost (9%).

So, my first question (advice) have your employees received professional training in the operation and marketing of flexible service?

Second question is the facility easy to use? Based on the comments, it doesn’t sound like it.

If employees don’t have the knowledge and skills and the facility isn’t easy to use, 59 percent of the factors that constitute customer perception is impacted.

If all you are interested in is saving labor cost, then flexible service isn’t for you.

There are a great many ways to squeeze significant labor expense from the traditional full-service format without making the conversion to flex serve.

Etowah

iwashcars

Reaction score
Jon,
So your saying over 50 cph I should add a second greeter. I can live with that. We have a Micrologic POS but that is not a problem. The problem is the amount of time it is taking for the greeter to explain and up sell the customer. Probably mostly because it is a new operation but throughput is slower now than it used to be.

Robert,
Our facility is very easy to use it is just new to everyone. My market is made up of 100% full service car washes. There has not been a car wash within 30 miles for the past 20 years that has had customers drive thru the tunnel. So that in itself is a huge learning curve for the customers. The quality of our wash is excellent which is the most important thing. The biggest problem is the amount of time it is taking to process a sale on the entrance. Our employees have been trained, it is the customers that need training and we can only do that one customer at a time. Also there is a lot more for management to do now which leaves less time for quality control and customer interaction. Cutting labor was not my only reason for the conversion. But my point is that the less labor results in less service. I will definitely add labor if necessary but I will soon be back to where I was with traditional full service. So at that point what was the reason for the conversion. I will just be a full service wash with an express exterior option.
Maybe I just need to give it more time and things will fall into place. But right now the overall operation is much more difficult than I anticipated. Although I do like several aspects of the flex serve mode

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I switched from all fullservice to having the customers ride through about 6 years ago. Yes there was a learning curve for the customers but after a few months most of them were glad we switched. Even the old ladies who insisted we send their car through the wash without them are now happily riding through. What I gained were lots of customers who had no interest in a fullservice wash and wanted a cheaper alternative. Stick with it and in the long run you will be better off.

iwashcars

Reaction score
I switched from all fullservice to having the customers ride through about 6 years ago. Yes there was a learning curve for the customers but after a few months most of them were glad we switched. Even the old ladies who insisted we send their car through the wash without them are now happily riding through. What I gained were lots of customers who had no interest in a fullservice wash and wanted a cheaper alternative. Stick with it and in the long run you will be better off.
Thanks Jon,
That is promising to hear. I'm sure after a few months the same will happen here. People don't like change and we made a big change. Hopefully after a few months they will realize it is better and it will get easier to manage.
Thanks Again,
Paul

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Paul,

I’m very aware of what you face. I cut my teeth on full-service (100%) and have worked with developers and operators throughout N.Y. including Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens.

I also have worked with people making switch to ride-thru including myself.

As for advice, your contradictions remind me of when Juan Martinez was cross examining Jodi Arias.

First you sidestepped by not directly answering what kind of training or the “other” reason(s) for making switch.

“Cutting labor was not my only reason for the conversion.” What was???

Also in express model, substituting capital for labor doesn’t result in less service rather if done right it results in more efficient service.

In the flexible service model, management has far more time, not less time for customer interaction and quality control.

“The quality of our wash is excellent which is the most important thing.”

Quality is a must have, but the service companies mentioned in another thread find employees and facility are most influential in terms of customer satisfaction.

“But right now the overall operation is much more difficult than I anticipated.”

I’m sorry, I can’t help you.

iwashcars

Reaction score
Robert,
We made the switch for the following reasons:
1) cut overall labor expense
2) cut number of employees to keep us from having to provide mandatory health care coverage
3) longer hours, we used to be open 9.5 hours per day we are now open 13 hours per day. the additional hours we are open for express exterior only with only two employees
4) cleaner cars, the hand wash was very inconsistent whereas the machines are much more reliable
5) faster service for the customers
6) stay in your car service
7) overall convenience for the customers
8) no employees driving customers vehicles
9) centralization of all interior cleaning

As far as training goes we were closed for two weeks to do the conversion. We spent the better part of one week training our employees on site. However that is difficult when there are no actual cars going through. My crew is doing a very good job but like I said before this is just completely new to every single customer going through.

As far as management having more time for customers I just don't see that right now. Like I said we spend more time now answering phones, giving out change and directing traffic more than ever before. Of course I will probably end up hiring a part time receptionist and some type of traffic control person but right now that is all falling on me. My signage I think is very good but some people are just blind to signs.

Not sure what you mean by me contradicting myself. Maybe I just didn't answer all your questions completely.

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.
Paul

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Jon,
So your saying over 50 cph I should add a second greeter. I can live with that.
Some ideas. What is the "Car gap between Greeter and loader? We find that some customers are easy and some not so much. For max througput we need a gap of 6 cars or so (that means 6 cars that have finished with the greater just waiting to load) . If one customer takes a long time, and a space occurs between greeter and loading point the greeter walks toward the loader so the car follows him takes that order, collects and then works down the line until you have 6 cars or so stacked waiting for the loader.

Another idea I have seen recently at McD's is a leapfrog order taking. Where there is a single order kiosk a customer is giving the order to the Kiosk while a human is stationed 2 car lengths behind taking the order from another car simaltaneoulsy. Your loader and greater could do this.

iwashcars

Reaction score
Some ideas. What is the "Car gap between Greeter and loader? We find that some customers are easy and some not so much. For max througput we need a gap of 6 cars or so (that means 6 cars that have finished with the greater just waiting to load) . If one customer takes a long time, and a space occurs between greeter and loading point the greeter walks toward the loader so the car follows him takes that order, collects and then works down the line until you have 6 cars or so stacked waiting for the loader.

Another idea I have seen recently at McD's is a leapfrog order taking. Where there is a single order kiosk a customer is giving the order to the Kiosk while a human is stationed 2 car lengths behind taking the order from another car simaltaneoulsy. Your loader and greater could do this.
Hey Earl,
Thanks for your comments, they are truly helpful. Right now I can stack three cars between the greeter and loading point. I do have a second point of sale about three cars further down the line which would give me six. The POS is currently not working but I plan on getting it up and running and was going to do just that. I would have someone greet the customer at the first POS and then have them pay at the second POS. I think that would really speed things up.
When you say Kiosk are you referring to a paystation or some type of automated greeter?
Thanks,
Paul

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Hey Earl,

When you say Kiosk are you referring to a paystation or some type of automated greeter?
Thanks,
Paul
With the McDonalds Drive thru it's usualy a screen with microphoen and speaker. Lots of McDs are now built with 2. Some that have one now use a human as the second. They are tyicaly set up for a single cashier and then you get your food at another window.

We are low tech No Pay stations. Our loader is our greeter and cashier. It's not unusual for this person to process 100CPH if demand calls for it. (Sadly, not often enough) If demand exceeds this and we have the help we place a greeter / order taker down the line with a bar of soap. Except for credit cards this person takes the order and $ and writes the order on the windshield with the soap. They then proceed to the loader and thru the tunnel. If you have work that is done at the exit you can give the customer a receipt that they show to whoever does work at the exit end. (If the POS is with the loader he can look at the wndshield for the order, and hand it to the customer altough this exchange will slow things down. At one time we used colored cards. The customer got a colored card. The color varied with the service(s) they paid for. Just make sure the exit guys get the cards back.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You mentioned 'answering phone calls' a few times as something taking up your employees' time. Why? I can see an operation that includes a detail shop, oil change or similar requiring more than a few calls per day but how much time is really required on the phone at a flex-serve wash??? Can't the owner or general manager handle all calls in less than an hour per day?

Maybe I am sidetracked a bit with this question, but it stands out to me.

DavidM

Reaction score
If it is like our business, it isn't the duration of time spent on the phone as much as it is answering when it rings. It always seems to ring at the most inopportune time, too often it is a sales call, but every call is important because it may be a customer on the other end. We have detailing as well so there are many calls related to that.

David

DavidM

Reaction score
If your wait times are too long you are losing one of the major customer benefits of your changeover. I would recommend focusing on that first. It can be corrected by technology or systems but either way, customers have to learn that the new process is faster. That will make a big difference in long term acceptance.

David

Last edited:

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Skilled Service Advisors Are Essential Profit Generators

One of the fundamental precepts I used when developing flex-serve is the focus on adaptability and its easily adjustable format to meet market demands with a full spectrum of options available from which consumers can choose. Essential washing and drying complemented with a variety of hands-on services under the universal umbrella of "detailing". The cornerstone of its marketing concept is merchandizing these optional services with dynamic sales tools such as service advisors that engage customers with warm & courteous face-to-face dialog explaining the many things available during each separate visit that cater to their needs. Skillfully crafted menus, self-branding premium products, innovative use of signage and tunnel lighting and subliminal-sensory subtleties that distinguish "your operation from everyone else". Operations that utilize touchscreen interaction are also well served by a "human presence" offering further assistance in this quality service business.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
The flex-serve paradigm is fully scalable so it can be tailored to fit in most any site with wide ranges of volume demands. The bottom-line is to format your carwash operation with the greatest versatility for optimizing net profitability through superior customer retention efficacy. Therefore, you can provide a high-value people-friendly express operation that also offers all of the services of the best full-service carwash and freestanding detail operations with a significantly lower overhead; a true one-stop shopping experience.

Skilled service advisors with customer face-time is an essential profit generator. Invest in them and reap your best ROI!

Many have succeeded greatly utilizing this operating format by customizing it to suit their personal taste while serving the needs of their particular marketplace demands. And repeat business is typically robust because the format is strategically designed to optimize net profitability.

I'd be happy to help any operator on how to achieve maximum flex-serve efficacy.

Last edited:

iwashcars

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions, they have been very helpful. I am almost 6 weeks in to the flex serve conversion and it is getting somewhat easier. I have lost a significant amount of my regular customers due to the increase in price on the full service washes and also not being a hand wash anymore. Also I have heard from many people that the new system is much less personal. They are used to hanging out in our store chatting with the cashier while their car wash being washed. But I have not began to promote the low priced express exterior washes yet because I want everything running smooth first. I am sure that it will help boost volume when I begin to promote. I am still amazed though by how many people do not want to stay in the car while it is washed. The biggest complaint is that they feel claustrophobic, one customer even compared it to being inside a MRI machine.

Still working though on speeding the greeting and payment process up. Will most likely set up a leap frog system as someone suggested with a greeter and then a cashier a few cars down the line and then finally the loader. Right now it is just a lot for one person to do on a even moderately busy day, there is just too much to explain.

Thanks Again,
Paul

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
exterior . I am still amazed though by how many people do not want to stay in the car while it is washed. The biggest complaint is that they feel claustrophobic, one customer even compared it to being inside a MRI machine.

Thanks Again,
Paul
MAke sure the tunnel is really bright. Good lights. White glassboard walls. etc.