What's new

New Display for Laurel 3 Column

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
hi everyone.

I have an almost 20 year old Laurel three column electronic vending machine. The display is going bad and I need a new circuit board which includes the display. The new display is larger than the old display by a little bit and would not all be shown in the existing cut out in the door if installed as is.

They sell a replacement door with a larger cut out for the display but it adds a considerable expense to this upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with this on their own machine? How bad is the display obscured if I keep the original door? Is it possible to remove some material neatly from the door in order to see more of the new larger display? Thank you.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
My experience is with single column electronic vendors.
The new board's display is completely hidden behind the old door. I'd expect the 3-column vendor to have the same issue.

No offense Waxman but...that 20-year-old vendor has served you well. Fix it right with a new door and decal.

You're welcome. :LOL:

DiamondWash

Reaction score
We just covered up the led display and rely on 3"x3" yellow price decals above each product button for customers. Especially for $917 for the retrokit just to see the new led display, when the circuit board dies then I will invest in the retrokit but for now she's working and making money.

1698451102654.png

Last edited:

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I have a 20 year old 5 column tree vendor with the old style electronic display, Im considering upgrading it this coming winter so I can add a credit card swiper to it. I see no reason to replace the door - it is stainless steel, looks virtually new, and is 90% covered by a sticker. So I was expecting to cut out a new window for the new display, weld in some new metal if necessary and put new stickers on it. I have the tools and skills to do that in an hour or less; unless there's something I dont know it would be indistinguishable from a new door.

But the incremental cost to replace the 5 col door is a little under $200, so to be honest for me the repair vs replace decision will probably come down to how busy I am.

Oh, to answer your question about neatly removing material - I have cut pieces out of my old 5 column vendor door (pull knobs...) to make various plates & adapters. Easy to do with my dremel, either cut with a cutoff wheel or a milling style bit (Ive done both), then sand and polish a little, also with the dremel. Its not factory perfect, but the polishing makes it hard to notice. I usually clamp on a jig/straightedge to steady my hands a little to ensure straight cuts.

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
hi everyone.

I have an almost 20 year old Laurel three column electronic vending machine. The display is going bad and I need a new circuit board which includes the display. The new display is larger than the old display by a little bit and would not all be shown in the existing cut out in the door if installed as is.

They sell a replacement door with a larger cut out for the display but it adds a considerable expense to this upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with this on their own machine? How bad is the display obscured if I keep the original door? Is it possible to remove some material neatly from the door in order to see more of the new larger display? Thank you.
I may have 1 of the old style boards, ill check later and see when i get there.

Mchas

Reaction score
Edit: nevermind, my comment only applied to the 5 column version

soonermajic

Reaction score
I got a 3 column electronic vendor, about 7ish yrs old, but only used for 4 yrs. I'll sell it for less tham half a new one, if anybody wants it.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My experience is with single column electronic vendors.
The new board's display is completely hidden behind the old door. I'd expect the 3-column vendor to have the same issue.

No offense Waxman but...that 20-year-old vendor has served you well. Fix it right with a new door and decal.

You're welcome. :LOL:
I understand the philosophy of getting your moneys worth out of some thing and I definitely have. But the practical part of me can't make sense of throwing away a perfectly good door that looks and performs like brand new just because a rectangular window for the display is a little too small. I'm handy enough to be able to remove some material in order to allow the new display full view.

I'm also interested to see if I can buy the new display without buying the whole circuit board. A friend of mine is an expert at soldering and I may go that route if I can find the correct part for the display .

chip@laurel

Manufacturer
Reaction score
To clarify a few points made - the retrofit kit that has the new circuit board and new door is in the $460 range, if you add Cryptopay then it goes to $860. The LED display on the new ( 8 years now) circuit board for the 3 or 5 column is in the exact same position as the old one, purposely done so we didn't force you to buy a new door. Single column is different, we had to move it down on the board so a door is needed.

You can't swap in the new LED display on the old boards, just not possible. When we found out the old display was being discontinued many years ago we bought as many as we could find to be able to repair the old green boards but those are gone now.

Etowah