What's new

New coin changer recommendations

MEP001

Reaction score
I’m just looking at it from the standpoint that I would need something that alarms the police upon opening a door, not motion from a camera. A camera’s motion would cause false alarm fatigue.
It could. If I do that, I'll have it on a schedule to only go off late at night, and probably only text me. I'd also put signs all over the door stating "WARNING: Do not approach door, alarm will sound and police will be dispatched". It would probably be enough to just have a loud alarm go off.

Mattwash

Reaction score
We don’t lock our changers for the simple reason the cost of replacing the cabinet is more than the amount of money that’s inside the changer or have someone pry the $hit out it and damage the components inside. A Hamilton DRS cabinet is $2750 plus shipping, there isn’t that much money inside it. The little ER-60 cabinet is $1425.00 plus, it only holds $800 so why lock it. I’ve fixed god only knows how many bill changers that have been destroyed by thieves cutting and trying to pry them open. Our back doors are all gated and the door it’s self is alarmed. You’re dreaming if you think the police are going to get notified when your alarm goes off. The police don’t get notified until the alarm company calls the police that can be upwards of 5 minutes, you have to pay a monthly subscription for that service. Our alarm in the equipment room is so loud it hurts your ears. We pull the coins and cash from all the equipment and coin boxes every day. I’ve watched videos of the thieves come and drop a coin into the coin slot and listen to the sound it makes, you can hear a different sound when it’s full of coins.
As much as I would like to empty my change daily, this is impossible for me. I work at the hospital daily. The coin changer is separated from the pump room and the backside is open to the general public to see.

Randy

Reaction score
As much as I would like to empty my change daily, this is impossible for me. I work at the hospital daily. The coin changer is separated from the pump room and the backside is open to the general public to see.
So you don't go there every day? You need a front load changer not a rear load changer. Sometime like a Hamilton SS-1 stainless steel door, then beef up the security on the front. I have a ccustomer here who's changer had rear access to the public and they beat the changer out of the wall from the back, they made a pretty good mess of the wall.

Mattwash

Reaction score
So you don't go there every day? You need a front load changer not a rear load changer. Sometime like a Hamilton SS-1 stainless steel door, then beef up the security on the front. I have a ccustomer here who's changer had rear access to the public and they beat the changer out of the wall from the back, they made a pretty good mess of the wall.
It’s near impossible. I’m actually working out of state right now. I managed to meet the neighbors who lives close by and one of them helps me out with trash and minor repairs. I recently remodeled the wash early in the year.
However, I like the idea of front load changer, it’s a fairly busy street and heavily lit up so would at least stand out if someone was trying to break in.

Keno

Reaction score
I know for sure you can get a large HSH-Q hopper in a Rowe BC-1400 cabinet. I'm sure you can get the smaller one into a BC-200. Hamilton does make a version of the ER-60 with a taller faceplate to cover the opening left by removing a BC-1400, but I believe the standard ER-60 fits with a little cutting into a BC-200 opening.
I already have a spare smaller hopper out of an ACW that I'm going to try to get in the bc200. I already have a mars validator in the bc200 with the associated mounting hardware. From some quick measurements, I think I can move the validator over a few inches and the hopper should squeeze in there. I don't think I'll need a new faceplate, but probably will need a bigger coin cup, the rowe doesn't hold many coins and hamilton spits quarters out way faster than a rowe. Hopefully with some slight modifications to the current faceplate, and a new decal should do the trick.

Keno

Reaction score
When are you going to tackle this project? I’m planning on upgrading mine in August, when I have a week off from my work at the hospital.
Probably going to be sooner than I thought, I just bought a new hopper and motor about 6 months ago for the bc200 and already having issues with jams and short changing customers and machine going out of service. Have a few other projects that are going to take priority, but hopefully within a month or so.

MEP001

Reaction score
I already have a spare smaller hopper out of an ACW that I'm going to try to get in the bc200. I already have a mars validator in the bc200 with the associated mounting hardware. From some quick measurements, I think I can move the validator over a few inches and the hopper should squeeze in there. I don't think I'll need a new faceplate, but probably will need a bigger coin cup, the rowe doesn't hold many coins and hamilton spits quarters out way faster than a rowe. Hopefully with some slight modifications to the current faceplate, and a new decal should do the trick.
The BC1400 I modified has the same coin cup as yours. I never tested it with a $20, but it was easily able to hold #10 in quarters. I believe it's bigger than the Hamilton DRS cup which can handle 80 quarters. Hopefully you can get it to fit without moving the bill acceptor.

Randy

Reaction score
I looked at the BC-200 that I have on the floor it looks to me that if you’re going to try to put the guts of a Hamilton changer into the BC-200 you’re going to have to move the validator over and then use a shoe horn to get everything else into the cabinet.

Keno

Reaction score
The BC1400 I modified has the same coin cup as yours. I never tested it with a $20, but it was easily able to hold #10 in quarters. I believe it's bigger than the Hamilton DRS cup which can handle 80 quarters. Hopefully you can get it to fit without moving the bill acceptor.
We change $20 bills, so will have to check that, currently the machine pauses briefly every $5 to let the coin cup get emptied. If the cup isn't emptied, quarters start piling up behind the door.

Keno

Reaction score
I looked at the BC-200 that I have on the floor it looks to me that if you’re going to try to put the guts of a Hamilton changer into the BC-200 you’re going to have to move the validator over and then use a shoe horn to get everything else into the cabinet.
I hope it will fit. Seems like the bc200 inner dimensions are bigger except for width, which is only 0.25" more narrow, than an er60 according to the post in this thread?

MEP001

Reaction score
We change $20 bills, so will have to check that, currently the machine pauses briefly every $5 to let the coin cup get emptied. If the cup isn't emptied, quarters start piling up behind the door.
Then you'll have a problem with a $20 for sure. Sometimes people wait for it to pay out completely before the take out any of the quarters.

Keno

Reaction score
Just an update on this, I got guts changed out of the bc200 to the hamilton stuff. Using an acw hopper and mars validator. I didn't have to move the validator. It all fits, just had to make a custom chute to direct the quarters from the hopper to the coin cup. Had to cut a lot of the interior mounting metal out of the bc200 that's no longer needed anyway with the hamilton guts

Last edited:

Mattwash

Reaction score
Just an update on this, I got guts changed out of the bc200 to the hamilton stuff. Using an acw hopper and mars validator. I didn't have to move the validator. It all fits, just had to make a custom shoot to direct the quarters from the hopper to the coin cup. Had to cut a lot of the interior mounting metal out of the bc200 that's no longer needed anyway with the hamilton guts
I just installed a new Hamilton FL1200. But that’s good to know if I acquire another unit with a BC200.

Attachments

Keno

Reaction score
That's a nice install, new machine looks really nice. I am about $600 all in on this retrofit, I already had the mars validator and hamilton acw hopper, found a used c2000 controller on ebay and misc install harnesses and hardware. Took about 3 days of my time. Which is worth it to me, as a new ER-60 to replace this would have been easily $4k+ including removal and installation costs

Mattwash

Reaction score
That's a nice install, new machine looks really nice. I am about $600 all in on this retrofit, I already had the mars validator and hamilton acw hopper, found a used c2000 controller on ebay and misc install harnesses and hardware. Took about 3 days of my time. Which is worth it to me, as a new ER-60 to replace this would have been easily $4k+ including removal and installation costs
That’s a really good deal. I decided to lump mine in with the new concrete work I was having done.

Keno

Reaction score
That’s a really good deal. I decided to lump mine in with the new concrete work I was having done.
Yours looks really nice, curb appeal is definitely much improved with a new changer and concrete work. I got lucky being able to find the controller and wiring on ebay, don't know if a retrofit is worth it if having to buy all new hamilton parts - at that point, I would probably be looking to just replace the whole unit