What's new

New Cherokee/Durango coasting in neutral?

vondy4625

Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with brand new Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Durangos coasting when in neutral? My conveyor is rear wheel push and as soon as the roller touches the tire the vehicle takes off as if it were in drive, yet the dial will be in N.

vondy4625

Reaction score
I've noticed it on several different vehicles (grand cherokees/Durangos). They have all been 2017 models and I don't have this problem on any other types of vehicles. I feel like other washes have to be having this same problem...

madstack

Reaction score
Damned if it didn't just happen with a Grand Cherokee. First, the customer was in drive which caught my attention then he put it in neutral. Watching it go thru, however, it took very little impetus for the vehicle to run a good foot ahead before the roller caught up. It looks very much like the car's in drive. No brake lights so the driver wasn't managing the speed.

vondy4625

Reaction score
I wonder why they are doing that. The ones I've seen will go 6 or 7 feet before the roller catches up. One almost hit the car in front of them. I don't know what to do about it, I feel like its only a matter of time before there's a collision.

madstack

Reaction score
Having at least 2 trailing rollers should give you adequate space to avoid a collision.

jfmoran

Reaction score
I have seen this many times not only on Jeeps, but Honda's are notorious for this as well. Making sure that you have two trailing rollers as someone indicated above is important and training your staff to distinguish between a rolling vehicle (by pointing out which ones are the problems) and a vehicle that is still in drive.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Had the same problem with Honda's too.
We bought 4 thick red rubber mats (4x4)from Sam's, tied two together with thick plastic straps
Placed them on the driver and passenger side floor in front of the car.
For a short time fix it works

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Older washes like mine that had a drag chain conveyor were built with floor having a slight incline to keep chain tight. When converted sometimes cars would roll forward and back. So many used a "Ladder" I think Sonny's sold a prefab at one time. Today with flatter floors this can be an issue, The ladder is 1" x 1" angles 24" long placed every foot or so, corner up in problem areas. They can be welded together with a piece along the side but this will tend to dig into the floor and fail more easily. It's simpler to lay down a 24" wide length of diamond plate and weld angles on top securing the diamond plate at the corners.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
I've seen it too and I've never seen a Jeep roll that well until recently. I've only seen Honda's do it in the past. No idea why.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Most likely an attempt to increase fuel economy by reducing rolling resistance.

mac

Reaction score
Interesting topic. Just to complicate matters a little, have you operators heard that starting with next year's cars, that when in neutral the brakes will automatically be applied? Am curious as to how that will affect things. Any thoughts?

mac

Reaction score
From what I've heard, from one of the people that was there, was that around Jan of this year a top auto exec met with a bunch of the wash manufacturers and said there would be no way to disable the system in the future.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
From what I've heard, from one of the people that was there, was that around Jan of this year a top auto exec met with a bunch of the wash manufacturers and said there would be no way to disable the system in the future.
So, they are making a car that 1. Is impossible to tow; and 2. Although it says neutral it really means something new.

mac

Reaction score
Wish I knew more. Will try to get more hard facts.