What's new

New Cat pump 310S leak

Etowah

RAATCB

Reaction score
I just installed a new Cat Pump 310S, I noticed there is a oil leak that's coming from the shaft where the pulley connects. I thought it was normal but after running for about 2 days there's a small oil puddle. I looked at the Cat pump service manual and looks like there is a seal that goes inside the bearing called the "crankshaft oil seal" part number "43222"

Has anyone had this issue before on a brand new pump? Also can that be the only seal that is causing the leak from the bottom of shaft?

Thank you.

Randy

Reaction score
I've never had a oil leak on the shaft seal. Are you using Cat pump oil?

RAATCB

Reaction score
Yes Randy. It is slowing dripping down from the shaft and the pump is brand new. Do you know if that's the seal that will solve the problem?

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Had the exact same thing happen about a year ago. Took the crankshaft seal out and you could see it was oval shaped instead of round. When you take the cover off to replace the seal, I would go ahead and replace the o'ring that is on the cover while I had it off. I replaced both the o'ring and crankshaft seal and it hasn't leaked a bit since.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've never had that happen on a Cat, but I've had numerous General pumps leak oil when new, and you can usually see that the seal was folded out when it was installed.

Cat will warranty it, but it's so easy to replace the seal vs removing the pump and shipping it back that I'd just buy a seal and replace it. Examine the shaft where the seal rides and make sure there isn't a nick or low spot there.

RAATCB

Reaction score
Had the exact same thing happen about a year ago. Took the crankshaft seal out and you could see it was oval shaped instead of round. When you take the cover off to replace the seal, I would go ahead and replace the o'ring that is on the cover while I had it off. I replaced both the o'ring and crankshaft seal and it hasn't leaked a bit since.
I have never replaced or opened the shaft/bearing area. Does the shaft seal come out easy when you remove the 4 screws?

I am going to just order a new shaft seal and o-ring like you said from kleen rite.

MEP001

Reaction score
The shaft seal is friction-fit into the cover. It's pretty easy to remove, just make sure you drive the new one in straight with something big enough to drive it near the edge, and be careful not to roll the seal out when you reinstall the cover.