What's new

New Cars with Auto Braking- Increasing Problem

jfmoran

Reaction score
Any operators out there doing anything with signage to address some of the newer vehicles that have these auto-braking systems? We have had maybe half a dozen experiences with them over the last year, but just this past two weeks had two tunnel collisions because vehicles "auto braked" about half way down our tunnel. In one case, the owner didn't even know that his car had this capability and was completely confused as to what happened. Since more and more manufacturers are adding this feature to their cars, it's going to become an increasing problem for car wash operators, both exterior ride through and full-service. Anyone out there addressing it yet?

John

washnshine

Reaction score
Any operators out there doing anything with signage to address some of the newer vehicles that have these auto-braking systems? We have had maybe half a dozen experiences with them over the last year, but just this past two weeks had two tunnel collisions because vehicles "auto braked" about half way down our tunnel. In one case, the owner didn't even know that his car had this capability and was completely confused as to what happened. Since more and more manufacturers are adding this feature to their cars, it's going to become an increasing problem for car wash operators, both exterior ride through and full-service. Anyone out there addressing it yet?

John
What is causing the vehicle to auto-brake, a wrap around brush or some other piece of equipment that is positioned in front of the vehicle?

Can the auto-brake system be overridden, and if so, perhaps signage or a verbal command to disengage it while in the wash? Maybe right next to "Put car in neutral"
It might also be good to have signage at the exit to remind drivers to turn the auto-braking system back on.

jfmoran

Reaction score
I don’t operate a wash anymore, but would it be too simple to suggest shut off ignition?

No power, no activation?
While that is an option, it would not work in our case. We are a high volume express exterior, people already have a hard enough time shifting into neutral, let alone having to start their vehicle too.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Systems can be shutoff, assuming the customer knows how or even knows they have it. Systems vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, some are activated by a wrap or a mitter, some have an auto parking brake that is activated when it senses the car rolling in neutral. From what I've learned, some can't even be deactivated when the car is off, especially the auto parking brakes on certain models.

JustClean

Reaction score
A few years ago I had a rental car and drove it into a conveyor. I wasn't aware of the auto breaking system. Great! That car just hit the brakes and the attendant screamed to get the #$%@ing foot off the break!!
Nice! I turned the engine on and that helped. They probably wondered what I was doing for a living....:p