What's new

New Car Wash - Water and Traffic Counts

carwashbg

Reaction score
Hi- I'm in process of buying a self serve car wash. Current owner states car wash does 100K annually in revenue (there is a separate lube/inspection business at the left side of car wash, but that revenue isn't included in the stated 100K of carwash revenue). The carwash is currently all cash, no cards accepted, and the current owner only claims part of revenue on tax statements so trying to get as much info as possible. The carwash has 6 bays, vacuums, traffic count is approximately 26,497 vehicles/day, diverse demographics (50% african american, 35% white/hispanic, 15% asian), all cash currently but I'd like to add card readers. Can someone please tell me if their stated revenue of approximately $100,000 annually seems right for 6 bays with that traffic count? Regarding water usage, is 15 gallons of water usage per wash about right? Or how much water is used? Going to review current owner's water bills. This is my first car wash and I'm trying to get as much info as possible. Attached is a photo of the car wash. Thank you!

Attachments

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
A 100k a year gross for a 6 Bay SS only is kinda strong makes me raise a eye for sure it has to be very busy to support that and cash only not saying it's not possible but I would defiently investigate more needs to be using 40-55,000+ gallons of water every month as a baseline to support this

carwashbg

Reaction score
A 100k a year gross for a 6 Bay SS only is kinda strong makes me raise a eye for sure it has to be very busy to support that and cash only not saying it's not possible but I would defiently investigate more needs to be using 40-55,000+ gallons of water every month as a baseline to support this
Great- thank you so much. I wasn't sure how much water should be used if seller claiming 100K revenue. Thanks.

washnshine

Reaction score
Hi- I'm in process of buying a self serve car wash. Current owner states car wash does 100K annually in revenue (there is a separate lube/inspection business at the left side of car wash, but that revenue isn't included in the stated 100K of carwash revenue). The carwash is currently all cash, no cards accepted, and the current owner only claims part of revenue on tax statements so trying to get as much info as possible. The carwash has 6 bays, vacuums, traffic count is approximately 26,497 vehicles/day, diverse demographics (50% african american, 35% white/hispanic, 15% asian), all cash currently but I'd like to add card readers. Can someone please tell me if their stated revenue of approximately $100,000 annually seems right for 6 bays with that traffic count? Regarding water usage, is 15 gallons of water usage per wash about right? Or how much water is used? Going to review current owner's water bills. This is my first car wash and I'm trying to get as much info as possible. Attached is a photo of the car wash. Thank you!
I’m guessing the lube/inspection business on the left used to be and IBA - In Bay Automatic Car Wash. Your number of 100k would seem more realistic if it still was functioning as and IBA and he counted that revenue as well.

What he told you (100k per year) would mean about $1388 per month, per bay. That might be happening, but I’d check to see if you can get some more information that will help confirm that number.

carwashbg

Reaction score
Yes, it seems like the left part was previously an IBA- at some point before current owner bought it. I agree about the seller’s revenue of 100K for just the 6 bays and vacuums seeming high. I’m going to go and spend some time counting cars at the car wash. Besides that and looking at water bills, are there other things I should try to look into to see if I can get a somewhat accurate number for revenue?

I’m guessing the lube/inspection business on the left used to be and IBA - In Bay Automatic Car Wash. Your number of 100k would seem more realistic if it still was functioning as and IBA and he counted that revenue as well.

What he told you (100k per year) would mean about $1388 per month, per bay. That might be happening, but I’d check to see if you can get some more information that will help confirm that number.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Like realistically quite frank it has to be so busy to do that number people would be waiting in line to use the SS bays busy Saturdays & Sundays all the bays would be full all day and it would have to stay busy during weekdays also no such thing as dry concrete at this wash only at night literally to support the high sales & high water usage and this is gonna be at $2.25 or more start up pricing in the bays. If its like $1.50 to start up he would have to do so much business at that price someone would build another one nearby or he would never sell it. sounds sketchy. Now I aint saying there no such thing as a BarnBurner 6 bay that does 100k or more a year yes there out there but they are well oiled carwashes that true operators run and not owners that collect quarters once a month and own some Real-estate there's a big difference be careful

carwashbg

Reaction score
Ok got it- thank you. The current cost is only $1.25. So thank you for info. I do need to be careful and not make a mistake. Good point about the dry concrete too.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Ok got it- thank you. The current cost is only $1.25. So thank you for info. I do need to be careful and not make a mistake. Good point about the dry concrete too.
At $1.25 start up maybe in 1979 when you where the only self serve carwash within 50 miles you could do 100K a year in sales and they where lined up 3-4 cars deep in each bay to wash all day long the pumps never ever cut off. Ya i would bet my life and my entire career he aint doing 100k gross at $1.25. hope this helps buddy good Luck.

carwashbg

Reaction score
Yes thank you. It’s located in Houston, TX on a busy street with lots of traffic (26,000 vehicles per day), so was thinking maybe. I’m going to spend time counting cars, but can tell you it’s not always busy. So thank you for info.

OurTown

Reaction score
Buy it based on what he's reporting to the IRS. How many minutes do you get for $1.25? I agree that $100K seems a bit high for $1.25 start time.

Etowah

OurTown

Reaction score
At 63(ish) cents per minute with an hour of bay time per day is over $80K per year. Add vacs and vending and I could definitely see $100K total.

carwashbg

Reaction score
Thanks- appreciate the info and math perspective. Yes going to spend some time there.

Twodose

Reaction score
At 63(ish) cents per minute with an hour of bay time per day is over $80K per year. Add vacs and vending and I could definitely see $100K total.
I agree, I had a 7 bay 8 vac that was doing 100K per year including vacs and vending items, and it was all cash, no cards, it was busy all the time.

carwashbg

Reaction score
Thank you. The one I'm buying is all cash now. If you had yours now, would you add card readers?

Twodose

Reaction score
Thank you. The one I'm buying is all cash now. If you had yours now, would you add card readers?
Definitely, I just added cryptopay to a 3 bay wash I own this year.
Post a picture of your boxes with the dimensions and you will get comments on weather the boxes are big enough to accommodate a swiper.