What's new

New Car wash on septic tank/city water

Reaction score
I've searched all the threads I could find on what I'm looking to ask without finding a answer. Sorry if I've overlooked it as I always try to search before I make a post.

I currently have a 6 bay self serve. I had purchased some commercial zoned land a couple years ago with intentions of building storage units there. My city has shot me down on the storage units because it's not properly zoned and can't be rezoned per there rules. However they did tell me I could build a wash there. Beyond stupid yeah I know.. my problem is that it has city water but no possible sewer. Not interested in the reclaim water as of now. In Alabama has anyone built a new wash on a septic in the last couple of years that could tell me what I'm looking at expense wise and or some guidelines to the restrictions. Are they anyone specific I could call and find out this information other than just jumping on board and paying for a PERC test?

Keno

Reaction score
I've searched all the threads I could find on what I'm looking to ask without finding a answer. Sorry if I've overlooked it as I always try to search before I make a post.

I currently have a 6 bay self serve. I had purchased some commercial zoned land a couple years ago with intentions of building storage units there. My city has shot me down on the storage units because it's not properly zoned and can't be rezoned per there rules. However they did tell me I could build a wash there. Beyond stupid yeah I know.. my problem is that it has city water but no possible sewer. Not interested in the reclaim water as of now. In Alabama has anyone built a new wash on a septic in the last couple of years that could tell me what I'm looking at expense wise and or some guidelines to the restrictions. Are they anyone specific I could call and find out this information other than just jumping on board and paying for a PERC test?
I have no idea about your question, but did you get a lawyer to try the rezoning or do it yourself? Hiring the right lawyer that has experience rezoning in your area is key to all rezoning attempts. Just my 2 cents

Reaction score
I normally try not to jump on that band wagon we are in a smaller town and Lots of us believe the rules definitely don't apply to everyone but they sure do like to hold grudges where they can $$ when you go over there heads.

Keno

Reaction score
I normally try not to jump on that band wagon we are in a smaller town and Lots of us believe the rules definitely don't apply to everyone but they sure do like to hold grudges where they can $$ when you go over there heads.
I know what mean about small town politics, going through that at 1 of our sites. But I also have had experience in rezoning where our lawyer used to be pretty high up at the county zoning department before returning to private practice, so knew most of the staff and could get things done that a normal citizen or even another lawyer normally would have a hard time doing. It was a big who you know vs what you know situation

eckert16

Reaction score
Hire a lawyer to rezone. Both your scenarios are going to require legal representation for one reason or another. The simplest task would be to lawyer up to rezone the lot for storage units. May take a little time, and a few meetings but more likely to be successful.
The more complex task, get a lawyer on your side ... lawyering up when you want to use city water for a carwash, and then try to push that quantity of now dirty water through a sewage system ... someone will point out and mention something about the EPA and clean water regs...
www.epa.gov/laws-regulations/summary-clean-water-act

and since there is some reference to it:

https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/tiff2png.cgi/P100QOLW.PNG?-r+75+-g+7+D:\ZYFILES\INDEX DATA\95THRU99\TIFF\00003173\P100QOLW.TIF

you
have to control where dirty water goes following a wash..

Last edited:

Trishale

Reaction score
I am in Alabama and I have had a 4 bay SS on septic for about 15 years. All the required work was done before I purchased the car wash so I can't help you with that part. Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) can tell you everything you will need to do to get a permit to operate with out sewer. The permit is 4290.00 every 5 years plus about 200.00 every year to send water samples to a lab for testing. ADEM is very easy to deal with and will be happy to help you.

Trishale

Reaction score
One more thing.... the cost of my permit is about the same cost as my other 4 bay SS that is on sewer.My sewer bill is based on my water usage. Financially speaking the car wash on sewer costs about the same as the car wash on a septic system every year.

mac

Reaction score
Generally having waste water not going to city sewer is illegal in all 51 states. Federal regulations. Be very careful here. Could be BIG fines. If a lawyer says it might be fine get another lawyer.

Debra Gorgos

Reaction score
Hire a lawyer to rezone. Both your scenarios are going to require legal representation for one reason or another. The simplest task would be to lawyer up to rezone the lot for storage units. May take a little time, and a few meetings but more likely to be successful.
The more complex task, get a lawyer on your side ... lawyering up when you want to use city water for a carwash, and then try to push that quantity of now dirty water through a sewage system ... someone will point out and mention something about the EPA and clean water regs...
www.epa.gov/laws-regulations/summary-clean-water-act

and since there is some reference to it:
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/tiff2png.cgi/P100QOLW.PNG?-r+75+-g+7+D:\ZYFILES\INDEX DATA\95THRU99\TIFF\00003173\P100QOLW.TIFyou have to control where dirty water goes following a wash..
The EPA link didn't work for me. Is there a different one you can post?