What's new

New Bucket Washing Tactic Observed

Red Baron

Reaction score
Last weekend I went home to my hometown, Dodge City, KS for Dodge City Days. I tried every IBA in town, naturally, and observed a whole new level of stupid at one of the washes. Some goober was in a SS bay using the foamy brush, but dipping it in his own bucket of soapy water rather than paying for the time. That is premeditated stupidity and should warrant the firing squad.

I just about ran him off, then I remembered that little detail that might matter: It wasn't my carwash.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I've seen that many times-- I'm Not sure if you guys know what a snow brush is, but i've seen many customers dip it thru the grate into the pit water to wash the car, and why do they still have it in the car in the summer.

Reds

Reaction score
I've never seen that but I have caught people rinsing car with weep water in winter, then using dry foam brush, then trying to weep the water off. Thats usually the point where I catch them and run them off. Cheap idiots. Can you imagine what that does to your paint?

Red Baron

Reaction score
Yeah it's frustrating to have to explain to people all the reasons why bringing their own bucket from home isn't fair to us.

When I was young I used to lift the gas pump hose to drain the last 1/2 gallon of gas into my tank after the pump shut off. Eventually I realized I was just cheating the next customer out of 1/2 gallon that he paid for so I stopped. I can understand stupid, but when the customer argues with you after you explain the rationale behind something, that goes beyond stupid.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Years ago a gas customer asked my dad to check his oil. (Remember full serve gasoline stations? ) He needed a quart. So, he gets out of his car, opens his trunk, pulls out a quart of oil and asks my dad to put it in for him. My dad say we only put in oil purchased there for free and if h wants us to put it in we will charge him a dollar.

Customer says "But I bought gas from you?"

My Dad says "Would you go to the diner, buy a cup of coffee and then hand them 2 eggs and ask that they cook it for you?"

Customer says "You sell eggs here?"

Red Baron

Reaction score
Yeah it's just crazy. So many customers think their 6 quarters entitles them to occupy a bay half the day.

I don't think it's about car washing - it's a lazy entitlement society that has been conditioned to a big box mentality that says to always seek the most bang for the least buck. I just returned from Home Depot so I guess I'm part of the problem.

MEP001

Reaction score
The biggest abuses I see with the foam brush are people with a muddy truck using it to knock or scrub mud off to cut down on the money they spend with high-pressure. I've also seen the weep washers and tell them they have to stop. I can't imagine how bad it must be for operators who weep water through the brush.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I've seen that many times-- I'm Not sure if you guys know what a snow brush is, but i've seen many customers dip it thru the grate into the pit water to wash the car, and why do they still have it in the car in the summer.
John & others,

Another scary thing is during the winter on days when both doors are needed to be shut --- parties parking themselves in there with no equipment being used excessively drying their vehicle. Ever been caught in that yucky situation when people just happen to be waiting? We do have a sign that we firmly point to though. We have a way to lock the entrance door open so any chance it is above 32 Farenheit we tend to run it that way.

MJ