What's new

New bill changer ideas

3lakesguy

Reaction score
Howdy, I’m new to this site but I’ve owned a 4 bay SS in Deep South Texas for the past 5 years.

Our current bill changer Is really showing it age.
We’d like to get a new or newer unit and integrate Credit cards to the machine, in lieu of adding credit cards to each bay.

I have a Hamilton with XE validator now.
I’ve read that Mar validators are supposed to be the best.

Could i get someone $.02 on this? Looking for brand, model, etc recommendations
Thank you

p.s. trying to keep this budget friendly. We are a relatively low traffic location

Roz

Reaction score
We upgraded one changer and two paystations to a Mars bill acceptor with a Hamilton conversion kit. You need to check that your changer can accept the kit. Mars acceptors are much better than the XEs which jam often. If looking at new consider a Hamilton DRS if the same size footprint as your existing changer.

MEP001

Reaction score
We’d like to get a new or newer unit and integrate Credit cards to the machine, in lieu of adding credit cards to each bay.
Don't do it. Your customers won't want to buy tokens with their card. I've seen several try it and they would always pull it out after a couple years. Adding CC to bays and vacs is so much cheaper now, and with it set to count-up your customers only have to swipe once and they can wash until they're done. They'll spend 15-20% more that way, but with tokens bought from the changer not only will they spend less, you'll also pay high CC fees.

Randy

Reaction score
We have add on ePort credit card readers on all of our bill changers along with credit readers ion the bays. We give extra tokens for a credit card transaction. We use Mars validator in all of our bill changers and ACW’s. We’ve removed all of the bill validators in the bays due to the increase in vandalism. Business couldn’t be any better.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I was one of those with credit card to token machines. I installed them at three washes. I was very disappointed in the amount of use they got. I sold my washes and advised the new owner to just eliminate them whenever they broke.

soapy

Reaction score
I tried a token via credit card dispenser once instead of adding Credit Cards to the bays. Big failure. Get credit cards in the bay and soon 80% of the revenue will be by CC.

3lakesguy

Reaction score
Morning and thank you for all the replies/input!

To be clear, I do not want anything to do with tokens. Wanting to stick with quarters.

I know that the ideal solution is adding CC to each bay. Definitely in our long game.

But for the short game, we think a CC acceptor that will dispense quarters is going to be a big step forward.

I had a forum member PMed me requesting serial #'s. I'll post them here too.

As I explained to him, I'm having issues with my validators, stackers, coin hoppers and power supply. Everything but the power supplies have been sent off for repair in Florida more than a few times. Each time they get returned with notes like "good luck, hope this holds" o_O

3lakesguy

Reaction score
Additional info: Our SS is located in a very small rural town. Locals hardly use it due to the avg income level of the area... Building on that note, vandalism is HIGH. I've had to repair booms used as jump ropes over the years. Brush and guns stolen monthly, excessive trash left on site, etc. My true favorite is the local (i've looked and cant find him) tractor mechanic, that brings over his client's machines for "washing".....Usually ends up with me spending 30 minutes cleaning up after him.

From what we've noted, most of "good" business is from traffic passing through (we're dead center of said small town, right where a state highway (not expressway, just a heavily trafficked FM road) has a "dog leg" through town.

We have 3 standard sized vehicle bays and 1 tall/wide for 18 wheelers. Cue small town perks: when the farmers are harvesting grain, we're shoveling mud daily. :confused:

P.S. I have 1000 gallon "mud" tanks in each bay. I'm having to pump them down at least once a year, what is everyone else averaging? Note: this SS grosses SOUTH of 50k/yr

MEP001

Reaction score
To be clear, I do not want anything to do with tokens. Wanting to stick with quarters.
You can't dispense quarters from a CC-based machine. Your merchant processor will not allow it. On top of that, you will gain NONE of the advantages of taking CC and you will lose about 6% every time someone gets quarters. You could start with two CC acceptors in bays for the cost of adding something to your changer.

It also sounds like you need to install a good surveillance system and internet access so you can get motion notifications and watch remotely.

MudMoney

Reaction score
3lakesguy
I had a 3 bay in town of 2500 and pumped 750 gallon pits between 20 to24 times a year. I had my own ring-a -matic, very rural town other than main hi-way all other roads were mix of gravel and dirt. Famers and ranchers are cheap by nature as they are on their own government welfare system.when I sold that wash 3 years ago start up was $ 3.00 for 4 minutes, new owners lowered start up to $ 2.00 to get more volume they say. The outcome is a wash that is neglected and always broke down.

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
Ok so here is my take on the original post. You want to update your changer due to really showing its age. Your thought process is to add credit cards to that changer at the same time, in lieu of adding them to the bays at this time.

You have 2 separate things your trying to do, but doing it with 1 solution. That solution will cost you money instead of make you money, as people will begin to use you as an ATM. Me personally I'd replace what you have to on the changer to make it functional for its intended purpose, giving qtrs. for dollars. Spend the money and time from finding how to put CC on the changer and get them on the bays. If budget is the restraint put 1 cc reader (the one you'd be spending money on for the changer anyways) on your most used bay. I guarantee you will be putting readers on your other 3 bays within 6 months from the additional revenue collected.

Now if your original post stated changing to tokens my outlook would be completely different.

I only dispense tokens on my site, Tokens for cash or CC. I also have cc readers in all my bays, vacs, and laurel vending and it is very successful either way. I also take "customer supplied" quarters. Im in the business to make money and by gosh ill take it any way they want to spend it.

Reaction score
Morning and thank you for all the replies/input!

I know that the ideal solution is adding CC to each bay. Definitely in our long game.

But for the short game, we think a CC acceptor that will dispense quarters is going to be a big step forward.

I had a forum member PMed me requesting serial #'s. I'll post them here too.

As I explained to him, I'm having issues with my validators, stackers, coin hoppers and power supply. Everything but the power supplies have been sent off for repair in Florida more than a few times. Each time they get returned with notes like "good luck, hope this holds" o_O
Let me know where this CC to quarters machine is, I would love to rack up free airline miles or cash back infinity money glitch.

Reaction score
I recently switched to tokens, and I am absolutely loving it. My customers love it too as they're 1$ tokens. I'm able to keep an accurate account of our daily revenue as every quarter is profit. I have yet to have to refill the hopper, a hand full of tokens is a bucket of quarters. The hopper has yet to jam, and I'm not spending countless hours sorting clean quarter for the hopper only to find a stack of 20's the next day and dry bays. I found out after the laundry mat never has quarters. There also been a surprising amount of tokens sold and unspent. $$$ and less headaches, plus less risk of smashed changer.