What's new

New bays with a twist

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
Bay tour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaPni54XzLc

Here is a rough tour of our new self service wash location in Vestal, NY. We also have a 3 bay dog wash and a 150' tunnel. We built the coin box ourselves, based on Gary Baright's original idea, put in four Mosmatic Z booms, based on Gary Baright's idea,.... come to think of it there are quite a few "Gary Baright" ideas here. These bays face north so we installed an AirLift door at the entrance of each bay. The customer can put them down so their experience is more comfortable. The door automatically raises when they're done. We put three 10hp AVW dryers in the bays too. If the customer spends more than $5 the "Blower" button starts flashing. When they are ready to leave they can push the button and they have 90 seconds to drive out. Works pretty good. It also helps promote waxing or it works pretty crappy. We have signage for that. We swapped the two end ones to put the nozzles more in the middle compared to the YouTube video below. Pressure boosts button on the video changes the pressure from 1000 to 1400psi immediately which guys love. We don't have hand held dryers we have a compressed air nozzle for blowing out cup holders, vents, mirrors, etc. Functions on the dial: Stop, Salt Off Presoak, Wheel Scrubbing Brush, Engine Degreaser, Presoak, High Pressure Soap, Foam Brush, Rinse, Spray Wax, Triple Wax, Spot Free Rinse, and Compressed Air. We are using Dixmor's LED9 Multi-Function timer and we have 4 different price points. Spend more time, save more money. We are using Micrologic's self service credit system so we can sell gift cards (in the tunnel cashiers or the gift card dispenser) that work in the tunnel's cashiers, the self service bays, the dog wash, and the self service vacuum cleaners. They are the only POS company that can say "YES" to any car wash operator by the way. One last "Gary Baright" idea are the LED lights in the bays. They are water proof and very bright. They use about 6 watts per foot and should last between 5 and 10 years. They are launching at www.gangled.com soon.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Tom, you continue to amaze me with your innovations. Wish we had more guys like you in our industry.

Reds

Reaction score
I have been watching them build that wash. I have to go check it out this week

bigleo48

Reaction score
Tom,

I love the coinboxes and the door idea. Wondering about some of the other options and have the following questions if you don't mind?

Why the brick finish and not something cleaner like plastic (Extrutech or Nuform)?

Do you have a link to G&G LED and the lights you use? You mentioned the "launching soon" at gangled.com, but that site seems to only be a placeholder.

What kind of door did you use? Do you close it at night to keep the ice down or is it just a customer comfort thing?

The Hydraflex 3x foam (saw it on another of your videos). That's something you guys put together? What kind of pump (seems higher pressure than with flojets) are you using for that? I guess its also another hose you need to weep from?

Also looked at the SS/Petwash delivery systems. I noticed you provide heat to the petwash dryer by sticking a commercial hairdryer on the intake side of the blower. How is that working for you?

Big

Earl Weiss

Reaction score

We don't have hand held dryers we have a compressed air nozzle for blowing out cup holders, vents, mirrors, etc. QUOTE]

Could not see in the video. What type of hose and nozzle do you use for the compressed air?

What type of wall hanger?

Do you have it regulated down to a certain PSI?

Did you increase your compressor capacity to handle this? If so, How?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I note in the SS you have the osilating top nozzle but not in the tunnel video.

Is it because you have more producers in the tunnel?

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
Tom,

I love the coinboxes and the door idea. Wondering about some of the other options and have the following questions if you don't mind?

Why the brick finish and not something cleaner like plastic (Extrutech or Nuform)?

Do you have a link to G&G LED and the lights you use? You mentioned the "launching soon" at gangled.com, but that site seems to only be a placeholder.

What kind of door did you use? Do you close it at night to keep the ice down or is it just a customer comfort thing?

The Hydraflex 3x foam (saw it on another of your videos). That's something you guys put together? What kind of pump (seems higher pressure than with flojets) are you using for that? I guess its also another hose you need to weep from?

Also looked at the SS/Petwash delivery systems. I noticed you provide heat to the petwash dryer by sticking a commercial hairdryer on the intake side of the blower. How is that working for you?

Big
Brick finish: We have used it since '78 and it holds up well. I do like the new finishes, like Extrutech, but the brick works well for us.

G&G LED Website: It will be up very soon.

Entrance door: It is an Airlift Door. We don't have the safety eyes since the customer can press and hold the button to bring it down. After the bay time expires or if they leave early the raises automatically. It is, at the moment, for comfort. The reaction from the customer when we point it out is great. They love it.

Hydraflex: Yes we put it together. We have it in our tunnel and we have a 2hp hot pump, a 3hp cold pump and a 3hp spare pump. The self service is tied in with the 3hp cold pump. So the pump simply turns on when a self service customer uses a function and could be at the same time we are washing cars in the tunnel. Watch these videos: http://www.hydraflexinc.com/chemical-dispensing-videos/ to understand the Hydraflex system. Simply put the inlet pressure is 200psi and the flow is restricted at the valve with their injectors.
Anti-Freeze System: We build a system that doesn't require weeping in our foam brush, wheel brush and triple wax. For each function there is a solution line, air line and anti-freeze line. They all are running in our heated trough and meet in the attic where each flow through a check valve then to the hose in the bay. One minute after use we blow down four times every minute for ten seconds. After that we open a 1/4" valve that pumps windshield fluid in the line for 3 seconds. Works down to about zero degrees. We don't need anti-freeze soaps or solutions.

Pet Dryer Heat: It is barely noticeable and works just okay but more importantly it is a unique feature the customer won't find anywhere else. I also found that I had to limit it to working during the first three minutes of use. The Kleenrite blowers heat up on their own and heat the air. We found that the vacuum hose on the blower was overheating.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
I note in the SS you have the osilating top nozzle but not in the tunnel video.

Is it because you have more producers in the tunnel?
Correct. The tunnel has all 10hp fans. One right after the first rinse arch, which is a high pressure arch, and before the protectant, drying agent and spot free rain bar. By the way, that fan is working great. We are running is slower at 50hz and it knocks off the water so the protectant and drying agent hits an almost dry car. Those solutions are not being diluted by the rinse water now. This single fan isn't causing as much turbulence as I thought it would either.

After the spot free rain bar in the tunnel we have 11 more 10hp fans without oscillation.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score

We don't have hand held dryers we have a compressed air nozzle for blowing out cup holders, vents, mirrors, etc. QUOTE]

Could not see in the video. What type of hose and nozzle do you use for the compressed air?

What type of wall hanger?

Do you have it regulated down to a certain PSI?

Did you increase your compressor capacity to handle this? If so, How?
Compressed air: We are using the same hose we use for the high pressure soap and rinse, an orange synflex 5/16" high pressure hose. The nozzle is just a cheap gun from Tractor Supply intended for a home shop compressed air blow gun I guess.

Wall hanger: Even cheaper. An "Eye Loop" that the handle hangs on. Not in love with it but it works.

Regulated down to 40 psi running through a simple 1/4" solenoid. I did not do anything to the compressor but I do have two 10hp compressors.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Anti-Freeze System: We build a system that doesn't require weeping in our foam brush, wheel brush and triple wax. For each function there is a solution line, air line and anti-freeze line. They all are running in our heated trough and meet in the attic where each flow through a check valve then to the hose in the bay. One minute after use we blow down four times every minute for ten seconds. After that we open a 1/4" valve that pumps windshield fluid in the line for 3 seconds. Works down to about zero degrees. We don't need anti-freeze soaps or solutions. .
That's a great idea! Is your system also setup to just blow air and not add WW Fluid until it gets colder.

For example,
Range 1: 33F to 23F, Air Blow Downs only
Range 2: 22F to 5F, Air Blow Downs Followed by WW Fluid Solenoid for 3 secs
Range 3: 4F or Lower, Turn On Weep

You could use this module for the the temp control and weep solenoids, along with a Logo PLC to control the air & WW fluid solenoids. http://www.controlbyweb.com/temperature/

I have eight bays, so I would need 8 inputs from the FB control, 3 inputs from the temp module and 16 outputs for the bays and 1 output for my weep solenoid.

Or do you have a favorite PLC that does both?

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
That's a great idea! Is your system also setup to just blow air and not add WW Fluid until it gets colder.

For example,
Range 1: 33F to 23F, Air Blow Downs only
Range 2: 22F to 5F, Air Blow Downs Followed by WW Fluid Solenoid for 3 secs
Range 3: 4F or Lower, Turn On Weep

You could use this module for the the temp control and weep solenoids, along with a Logo PLC to control the air & WW fluid solenoids. http://www.controlbyweb.com/temperature/

I have eight bays, so I would need 8 inputs from the FB control, 3 inputs from the temp module and 16 outputs for the bays and 1 output for my weep solenoid.

Or do you have a favorite PLC that does both?
We have been using Omron PLC's since '87 and they have been great. We use one CJ2M to run everything at the site: The tunnel, bays, dog wash, lights, air compressors, HVAC, prep guns,... etc. Basically anything you would want controlled. Sure you could just blow down and skip the anti-freeze at certain temperatures. The PLC has a universal analog input module that we use to connect our RTD temperature probes so we get to the tenth of a degree accuracy. It seems endless what you can do with these things.