What's new

$$$ NEMA 4 Operator $$$

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Called my garage door guy to 'PM' my door operator. Entry side gets some spray from underbody at times. It is a standard, chain-type operator and has had some moisture troubles in the past. I built a box around it to keep water off, but you know water spray; it finds ways in.

Operator is working fine, but a little preventative maintenance can keep me washing on busy days, so I called for an appointment.

Owner tells me what I really need is a NEMA 4, fully waterproof operator with a t.e.f.c. motor.

Price tag $1920!!!

What would you do?

soapy

Reaction score
If you have a equipment room next to your automatic the best thing to do is run a shaft through the wall and mount a regular operator in the equipment room to open and close the door. You will get a little longer life out of the electronics of a NEMA 4 opener but you still have the chains that will rust up. Keep them lubed your self and a regular opener will usually work for a few years.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
As suggested above, we have IBA on each side of Equipment room and operators including chains are completely inside--just a shaft through wall. Torsion spring is on shaft inside bay and need some occaisional spray with that sticky chain lube.

Ted

Randy

Reaction score
My son is commercial door guy. He said that $1920 installed wouldn?t be a bad price, not the best price. Who ever installed the door to begin with didn?t know what they were doing. His suggestion would be to install the door opener in the equipment room and run the shaft to the door like suggested by Ted and Soapy. The car wash inbay environment is not the best place to install an opener. He also said if you want commercial type door installed call a commercial door installer.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The guy was a commercial installer.

He went on today about the builder not telling him it was a carwash, etc. These guys love to pass the buck. Lots of fast talking basically trying to convince me to spend 2 g's.

No to mention he has made plenty off me on other service calls over 3 years.

I understand the benefits of moving the operator inside the pump room. Logistically, it's complicated and probably a job that'd be better to do in the summertime.

But I get it and like the idea.

Randy

Reaction score
Was the car wash equipment in the bay when they installed the doors? He knew it was going to be a carwash, if he didn?t he?s wearing blinders. I just love how these guy?s will lie too cover there own back side when they screw up. I wouldn?t ever call the guy back. There are many commercial door companies around. A lot of them here do work after hours and on weekends.

Reaction score
Instaling the saft is not that hard you could do it your self i think, i have done them before, you dont have to fool with the springs so there is no danger. The kit is nothing more than a coulping and a shaft and sprockets.