What's new

Negotiating a business

Johny Risk

Reaction score
Hello,
I am meeting with a seller and his broker next week to discuss and negotiate a carwash that is for sale. I have studied many in this area, and this stands out to me to be the best in terms of location, traffic volume, equipment, cash flow and potential. I have not owned a carwash or any other business before. It's 2 automatic / 6 SS in midwest suburb.

Any tips or suggestions?

thanks in advance,
JR

MEP001

Reaction score
If you're considering it as an investment, there are better ways to do it. Most of us that run successful washes do it with lots of "hands-on." A self-serve car wash isn't as simple as coming in once a week and picking up money - it takes a bare minimum of 20-30 hours a week of care to make a decent income. If you're not willing to spend that kind of time on it or have someone you trust to do it, you'd likely fail.

Jony82

Reaction score
Some of this might be common sense stuff, but I thought I'd write it out anyways:

1) Get a financial history of the wash. Don't buy it without. If he's not willing to show you what the wash is bringing in, then he has overpriced the business and/or it's not making any money. He should be more than happy to show you the income to facilitate the deal. (It sounds like you have this already, but it is the most important)

2) Talk to a business lawyer that can write up a rock solid purchase agreement.

3) Try to negotiate atleast a month of training from the previous owner in your purchase agreement. This will save you a ton of time and trouble when problems arise.

4) Talk to an accountant on how to breakdown the purchase. X amount of dollars for the equipment, X amount of dollars for the building/land, X amount of dollars for goodwill. This is invaluable come tax time.

5) When looking over the wash, check for any major expenses that may lie ahead. (Is the parking lot in good shape, is the floor heat working properly, does the bay equipment need to be updated, etc)

6) When going to the bank for financing: Go to every bank in your area. I went to 10 or so banks when trying to get my financing. I got really good offers from some, terrible offers from others, and a "not right now" from another. Come up with a financial spreadsheet that proves that you will be able to make your payments even in the worst of months, this will help the commercial lender and it shows you are prepared.

7) Finally, ask yourself if you are willing to commit to the 7 days a week schedule that a car wash requires. Days of continuous rain are your only days off. Ensure you can physically and mentally handle this schedule. If you plan on having employees, ensure that you can put in a system that prevents employee theft or find someone you can trust that will be reliable.

There's more, but that's the jist of it. Good luck!

Alan Bussey

Reaction score
Johny -

I have been involved in many, many, car wash purchases over the last fifteen years as a lender. I suggest that you take a very close look at the potential for an exterior-only or flex-serve car wash to be built within four miles, paticularly two miles, or so of the subject car wash. I have financial statements for self-serves and combination ss/iba's that have gotten new competition from exteriors. Exteriors and flex-serves can really kill the revenue of a nearby ss or ss/iba.

To see if any other car washes are planned within five miles or so check with area conveyor equipment dealers, ss/iba dealers, the city permitting department, area real estate brokers, other car wash owners, and retail shopping center developers, and drive the area major streets. Many times the permitting department will let you look through the written permit applications - I've done it. Speak with the clerks and engineers to see if anyone has made any verbal inquiries about building a car wash in the area, but that may not have yet submitted anything in writing.

Determine whether your seller owns more than the subject car wash. Make sure that your seller is giving you tax returns and other information that is solely for the subject, information that does not pertain to any other car wash or any other business.

Also, check for planned road or utility construction or repairs in front of, or near, the car wash.

Johny Risk

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. These are great suggestions. I'll keep you posted on what I find and how it works out.
Thanks,
JR

Louise

Reaction score
I'm on the other side of the equation. I have met with a potential buyer and am now providing information. As far as I am concerned, all my records and financial information are all open to him for inspection.

Is there anything I should hold back??

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Before you show him anything, get a non-refundable deposit, and a non-disclosure signed. Also, have him sign a copy of everything that you show him, so that later he can't claim that he never saw something.