What's new

Need your opinions

mparker1975

Reaction score
We have had an ongoing issue of customers leaving mulch, manure, mud, rocks, etc. in our self serve bays. I am thinking about having signs made that say Please Be Courteous To The Customers Behind You. Clean Up All Heavy Soil Left In Bay. Do you think I am wasting my time and money? Does anyone have any suggestions or is just part of the game?

Thanks!

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
IMO, yes. Those kind of people that do what your describing, could care less if you had a 100 signs in the bay telling them not to do it or clean up their mess.

MEP001

Reaction score
Agreed, about all the signs are good for is for you to point at when the customer says "Well, you need to put up a sign." The only thing that seems to work is catching them and explaining that it's not allowed. I'm always quick to give them their money back, or if they continue to wash the rest of their vehicle I put some extra time on for them. I do have a list printed right on the meter decal that includes no truck bed washing, livestock trailers, etc., but they still do it.

Surely someone will come and say to let them do it and just clean up behind them, and that may work for those who are on site most of the day and can get the bay cleaned and usable again, but it doesn't work for those of us who only come in and clean up once a day.

chaz

Reaction score
Sounds like your S/S is priced too low, or you have a low start point. My start is $3.00 for four minutes, I still get some slobs, but most have moved on.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Try posting a yellow sandwich sign (3' x3') in driveway between bays 1 & 2 (closes bays to where customers are entering stating:

All Mudders, Landscapers, Pickup Trucks MUST use Bays 1 & 2 ONLY
Extra 200 lbs. pressure (Maybe add to sign)
You MUST wash down all debris into grate before leaving
Please be courteous to the next customer
If you won't comply with this please go to another car wash.

After I did a sign like this it worked for me about 80% of the time. There's always an a$$hole. Worth a try.

Randy

Reaction score
The ones I like are the ones who pull in see us and leave. Then drive by a few times waiting for us to leave before they come in and do what ever they want. Signs don't help much, they don't read them. Raising the price helped some, but we still get them.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
The ones I like are the ones who pull in see us and leave. Then drive by a few times waiting for us to leave before they come in ...
I HATE THAT!
I occasionally make a point of leaving, and circle back a few times. Caught a few buggers that way.

Signs don't help much, they don't read them.
I know I'm in the minority on this subject, but I disagree, many do read them. In fact with the new signs I'm designing & installing, I'm seeing a shocking number of people reading them.

Yes I agree that the dumpers ignore the ones the want to ignore, but for the ones that argue with my polite explanations I snap a photo of their license plate and the mess, and I point out that the cops & judge do read the sign. They get a little more cooperative.

wash4me

Reaction score
Lets see those signs!

I HATE THAT!
I occasionally make a point of leaving, and circle back a few times. Caught a few buggers that way.

I know I'm in the minority on this subject, but I disagree, many do read them. In fact with the new signs I'm designing & installing, I'm seeing a shocking number of people reading them.

Yes I agree that the dumpers ignore the ones the want to ignore, but for the ones that argue with my polite explanations I snap a photo of their license plate and the mess, and I point out that the cops & judge do read the sign. They get a little more cooperative.