What's new

Need some advice please

jsoriano

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to business. Was hire few months ago as a manager for a 6 ss bays and 2 in bay automatic car wash.
Didn't have much experience really before but I think I'm good turning wrenches and learn fast. Already things are working much better...
When I started one SS bay was down, not all functions werent working at all bays, air shammees weren't properly connected to electric boards, etc.

First thing I found strange was former manager was buying hoses for foam brush, triple foam and high pressure cycles through a local hose distributor. Price was so expensive that I knew that wasnt right. He as paying $300 for a 15' 3000psi hose or installing a 5300psi hose for foam brush for even more.

It took me a couple of days to find in Kleenrite correct hose, super cheaper comparing with he was paying.

My question, I am using a swivel at the end of the hose to connect the foam brush/ gun but I am sure it will work better with a swivel at the beginning of hose, at the boom. someone told me to use a non working swivel....

Second question, all our hoses are 3/8" but he as using 1/2" for high pressure cycles between boom and gun. I am sure thats not right...correct?
Since I changed hoses, my chemicals (high pressure soap and pre soak) looks like if there is coming more, at least visually. Since I havent changed tips or concentration.
Third question, one my pumps when you turn it on takes like 5 seconds to reach 1100 psi (that's the pressure I am using). IT have like a delay, first reach 600 and then jump again to 1100. Before i rebiuld the catpump want to try to replace the paraplate regulator, could this be the issue?

Thanks
Jose

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
1/2” hose to the gun! That’s like using a fire hose to rinse your dishes. Reduce everything from the boom manifold to the gun to 1/4”. Some of your lag may just be filling that gargantuan hose.

MEP001

Reaction score
I prefer a swivel at the foam brush handle. I never use one at the top from the boom and never have issues with hose kinking. I like the Spraying Systems 3/8" breakaway swivel, they're very smooth and last a couple years. Whoever said to use a non-working swivel doesn't know what that means. That's a fitting that swivels for installation but no longer turns once it's tight. That would be useless.

If the pump runs smooth with good pressure once it comes up, it's probably not the cause of your delay. It's definitely not the regulator.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Before replacing anything, check for leaks in the bay supply plumbing. Look especially at any swivels which can leak air when not under pressure…and, not leak water when pressure is applied.

With the weep system off, does the wand continue to trickle after the pump is cycled off?
Is there a “whooshing” sound in the bay before the pressure stabilizes?

If yes, any supply side leak will allow the bay hose/gun to drain after just a few minutes of idle time. (Like the thumb on the straw thing)
Since the supply plumbing is now empty, the pump must now clear all the air before pressure builds to the setpoint.

3 to 5 seconds to build pressure? Look at hose and boom swivels.
6 to 10 seconds? Look in the plumbing trough.
More than 10 seconds? It likely leaking in the engine room.

Ditto I.B.'s 1/4" hose suggestion. You can either add a bushing for all those 3/8" connections or simply have the hoses made with 1/4" hose by 3/8" MPT crimps.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
My Opinion differs on a couple of items.
1. I use non working swivels where the hose attaches to the boom swivel, and working swivels at the gun / foam brush end. The non working swivel makes the install easier than no swivel. Working swivel t gun / foam brush handle makes use easier.
2. I use KR HP hose for FB since the lighter weight can kink and stop the weep leading to freezing.
3. I use 1/2" HP for the guns and FB. Tried /4" and it didn't seem to hold up as well.

txheat

Reaction score
I tried it both ways. I put one at the handle brush and one on top at the arm. From experience, the one on top of the arm always leaks after period of time then you end up replace it often. The cause is customers yank on hose which eventually loosen the swivel breakaway part. So i end up just putting one on the handle. Nonworking swivel doesn't swivel so it defeat the purpose and your hose getting twisted and bend which end up cuts and eventually leaks.

3/8" single steel braid is factory standard. I found local that has double braid so using that since.

In my opinion, if its an old pump, replace it. Cost of rebuilding is not too much of difference to justify rebuild. I rather have new pump last me at least 7 more years than risking to rebuild again and/or breakdown.

MEP001

Reaction score
In my opinion, if its an old pump, replace it. Cost of rebuilding is not too much of difference to justify rebuild. I rather have new pump last me at least 7 more years than risking to rebuild again and/or breakdown.
You're probably paying too much to have pumps rebuilt. I rebuilt a Cat 5CP2120W which included replacing every oil seal, o-ring, connecting rods, bearings, seal kit and valve o-rings and it was only about half the cost of a new pump.

water guy

Reaction score
Where do you order your parts from ? I just shipped 4 pumps off yesterday to be rebuilt.

Randy

Reaction score
Where do you order your parts from ? I just shipped 4 pumps off yesterday to be rebuilt.
We get all our Cat 310 pump parts from Kleen-Rite. We don't do crank cases any more, when they go bad we toss them, in 35 years I think we've tossed maybe 3 or 4 crank cases. What was wrong with your pumps that you had to send them in to be rebuilt?