What's new

Need some advice on hoses

CentralTex

Reaction score
Thanks advance for reading and any potential advice. The issue: we currently use 1/4" 130 PSI Poly Tubing that we get from KR (https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-38...ck-polytubing-1-4in-x-100-ft.aspx#description) that we run from our mechanical room to all 5 of our SS bays. The hose runs out of the mechanical room to the roof to each one of the bays. Sections of the hose become brittle and springs leaks from time to time because of the heat / cold / elements. We are in TX. Today, when that happens, we get on the roof, cut out the bad section and replace with a new section and use quick connects to connect the old with the new. As you might imagine it is pain to get up there and replace sections of the line. As of late we are doing it more often. We are considering just replacing the entire line and using some type of material to shield it from the elements. The other thought is using a different hose: High-quality reinforced chloroprene and nitrile rubber hose with a 300 PSI rating and a 1/4" diameter. This other hose is more expensive, but I am wondering if it would do a much better job than what we have. We could not use quick connects to splice out bad hose as we do today, but the assumption is we would have less failure with the new hose. Besides the expense of the new hose, we would have to replace all of the hose on the roof and the mechanical room. We are trying to figure out if there is a way to connect the poly tubing to this potential new hose and just replace the section on the roof and leave the current hose as is in the mechanical room since we don't have many issues there.

Questions:

1. What type of hose do you to get your soaps etc from the mechanicals room to the bays?
  2. Assuming you run them on the roof do you have issues with hoses cracking breaking etc?
  3. Any thoughts on the new hose we are considering? Is there an even better hose?
  4. Are there any thoughts on materials we can use to shield the current hose from the elements?
We don't mind paying more for the new hose, but I'd like to know how others handle this issue before we move forward.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

washnshine

Reaction score
Thanks advance for reading and any potential advice. The issue: we currently use 1/4" 130 PSI Poly Tubing that we get from KR (https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-38...ck-polytubing-1-4in-x-100-ft.aspx#description) that we run from our mechanical room to all 5 of our SS bays. The hose runs out of the mechanical room to the roof to each one of the bays. Sections of the hose become brittle and springs leaks from time to time because of the heat / cold / elements. We are in TX. Today, when that happens, we get on the roof, cut out the bad section and replace with a new section and use quick connects to connect the old with the new. As you might imagine it is pain to get up there and replace sections of the line. As of late we are doing it more often. We are considering just replacing the entire line and using some type of material to shield it from the elements. The other thought is using a different hose: High-quality reinforced chloroprene and nitrile rubber hose with a 300 PSI rating and a 1/4" diameter. This other hose is more expensive, but I am wondering if it would do a much better job than what we have. We could not use quick connects to splice out bad hose as we do today, but the assumption is we would have less failure with the new hose. Besides the expense of the new hose, we would have to replace all of the hose on the roof and the mechanical room. We are trying to figure out if there is a way to connect the poly tubing to this potential new hose and just replace the section on the roof and leave the current hose as is in the mechanical room since we don't have many issues there.

Questions:

1. What type of hose do you to get your soaps etc from the mechanicals room to the bays?
  2. Assuming you run them on the roof do you have issues with hoses cracking breaking etc?
  3. Any thoughts on the new hose we are considering? Is there an even better hose?
  4. Are there any thoughts on materials we can use to shield the current hose from the elements?
We don't mind paying more for the new hose, but I'd like to know how others handle this issue before we move forward.

Thanks and Happy New Year!
So the hose actually runs on top of the roof - outside and exposed to the open air/elements? I would think that once you replace your lines, an enclosure would be your best defense against future problems. Any metal chase should do to enclose - the uv rays alone are going to really beat up hoses. You could even fabricate some type of enclosed trough, similar to a heat run in a forced air system. Probably a good idea to insulate it as well.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Are your bay supply lines simply lying on the roof? Exposed to the elements?

Some method of protecting them from UV rays and freezing conditions will solve your problem. 4” PVC conduit/DVW piping, painted plywood enclosure, metal duct for example.

We fabricate 20ga galvanized ductwork, insulated with polyiso. Secured to the roof with zip screws and penetrations using electrical nipples and such.

Freelin-Wade or John Guest 1/4" LLDPE tubing, inside the duct will typically last 15-20 years.

IMG_1219.jpg IMG_1217.jpg IMG_0983.jpg IMG_0979.jpg IMG_1223.jpg

washnshine! Brothers from different Mothers??? ;)

CentralTex

Reaction score
Gents, yes the lines are simply exposed. That is the way we bought it, but as time goes along we continue to upgrade items and this is next on the list. Cantbreak - thanks for the photos! Washnshine, thanks as well. This is the type of insight I was hoping to get,

Randy

Reaction score
I hate to say this but the tubing that you buy from Kleen-rite is not the best quality tubing that you can buy, in other words it’s garbage. You need to install better-quality tubing, we use nylon tubing, it’s expensive but it will last a long time. You also need to build yourself an enclosure up on your roof to protect the hoses from the weather, anything you can lay your hoses into will work.

About 30 years ago we installed nylon tubing at our car wash, it’s still installed. About the same time we remodeled a car wash and the owner wanted to cut costs so he bought the cheap tubing and he had nothing but problems with it breaking. Being the cheapster he is he just kept replacing the tubing with the cheap stuff, I guess he likes fixing cheap/replacing hoses. To this day he’s replaced his hoses a couple of times.

CentralTex

Reaction score
I hate to say this but the tubing that you buy from Kleen-rite is not the best quality tubing that you can buy, in other words it’s garbage. You need to install better-quality tubing, we use nylon tubing, it’s expensive but it will last a long time. You also need to build yourself an enclosure up on your roof to protect the hoses from the weather, anything you can lay your hoses into will work.

About 30 years ago we installed nylon tubing at our car wash, it’s still installed. About the same time we remodeled a car wash and the owner wanted to cut costs so he bought the cheap tubing and he had nothing but problems with it breaking. Being the cheapster he is he just kept replacing the tubing with the cheap stuff, I guess he likes fixing cheap/replacing hoses. To this day he’s replaced his hoses a couple of times.
Thanks Randy. We are definitely going to upgrade the tubing.

Buckeye Hydro

Reaction score
PE (LLDPE)Tubing is great, but not in applications where it is exposed to UV rays or freezing temps. We use it in other applications with great success.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Got Poly tube from Windtrax 15+ years ago. In a heated metal insulated trough - no isues. Hd to replace it because previousoperator left covers off the trough and UV made old stuff brittle.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Central TX

I'm in DFW so I know the conditions your lines and wash are exposed to first hand. I will reiterate what everyone has already said:

1. Putting the lines in a covered trough getting them out of the heat will extend the life of the lines.

2. Would highly recommend switching to nylon lines as well as putting them in an insulated trough.

I've done this with my washes and haven't had to replace lines in 10 years and few leaks.

Our troughs are made of galvanized sheets folded into C channels, one for the bottom and one for the lid.

Attachments

CentralTex

Reaction score
Rfreeman, thanks for the wisdom and the photos (can you post a photo of what it looks like inside the trough)! I really do appreciate feedback from you and everyone else. I will post photos of before and after at our location, once we change everything out. This forum is a fabulous resource! Thanks to all.