What's new

Need permits?

ScottP

Car Wash Owner
Reaction score
If I convert one of my self serve bays to an automatic do i need to get permits from the city? I realize that it depends on the city, but what have other operators found. I won't need to change anything structurally. My electric, water, and drains are good to go. My distributor says I don't need to. He's never put one in my town but he does live in the same town.

Gabriel

Reaction score
It definitely depends on the City, but if you are not making structural changes in the building, installing equipment probably will not require a permit. No structure changes, no water or sewer changes, and no electrical changes usually means you are putting equipment in place.

Still under an assumed name and number I would inquire with the city. Ask about installing a new air conditioner or air compressor. Better to be safe than sorry as in many areas a permit is very inexpensive.

MEP001

Reaction score
You should be good as long as you have a licensed electrician and plumber do the work. As long as the existing water and electrical are sufficient and you won't be changing anything major (don't need more amperage or a bigger water main), you should be ok, but a discreet phone call won't cost you anything. I've been involved in a few improvements like that, and since the city doesn't keep records of what you had before they have no way of knowing what you've changed or added. They can only inspect what they see and request to see receipts from a licensed pro.

bneckrock

Bill Neckrock
Reaction score
Besides public safety, the driving issue for most taxing bodies (e.g., cities, townships, counties, etc.) is taxing us. The permit is supposed to pay for the inspections and cover the building department's overhead.

The permitting process also puts the taxing authority on notice that you have made improvements to your property which is the basis for raising assessments. I not only pay real property taxes, but personal property (equipment) taxes.

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission" - Grace Hopper

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Besides public safety, the driving issue for most taxing bodies (e.g., cities, townships, counties, etc.) is taxing us. The permit is supposed to pay for the inspections and cover the building department's overhead.

The permitting process also puts the taxing authority on notice that you have made improvements to your property which is the basis for raising assessments. I not only pay real property taxes, but personal property (equipment) taxes.

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission" - Grace Hopper
You have to love those personal property taxes in the great state of Michigan! After I pay my 6% sales tax on my property, the great state government taxes me for as long as I have it. It almost feels like they are discouraging businesses from even attempting to run in Michigan! *end rant*

I would make sure everyone that is working for me is fully licensed and insured and do as much of it as possible without having to get any permits.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
A person once pointed out to me that I didn't really own anything, but rather was just renting it from the government.

AdamA

Reaction score
Might need structural calculations if the IBA is wall mounted. I did. Also traffic impact fee's are a possibility, but I argued inbay didn't create any more traffic than self serve bay. My city was easy to talk to, so that helped. Good luck.

Reaction score
You will probably have to pay an additional utilities impact fee, if the city determines that your water and sewer consumption will increase. Good Luck!
ANO