What's new

need installer ?

agent

Reaction score
So I am considering adding an IBA to my 4 bay SS. I live in a fairly rural town but my traffic count is around 12,000 daily with minimal competition. (its a friction wash at a gas station 5 miles away with the speed limit of 55mph and gas price higher than anyone else around).
I have narrowed down my choices to washworld and PDQ and have bids from both of around 120,000 completely installed and turn key...
My delema is that I recently found a website called carwashconsignment.com and found some screaming deals on slightly used equipment like for about 40% of new, but since I have no experience with the IBAs, I am sceptical about buying one and installing myself.
Would you guys suggest I go and find a quality installer, take on this myself, or bite the bullet and order a brand new one....

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Go with new. Good factory support may be an important factor for you to consider since you are in a rural area and your distributor may be some distance from you. It's comforting to know you can reach a competent factory tech quickly if need be.
I too, am in a rural area. I am fortunate to have both an excellent distributor and super factory support. I chose WashWorld.

vinh

Reaction score
The questions is: are u good at fixing things on your own (with help from forum)? Being in rural town, If u buy a auto from consignment there is not warranty during the first year. It can get expensive just for distributor to drive to your location. U want to have a good impression the first few years auto is installed. So a new machine would be ideal.

I have a 3SS + 1 (Ryko OHD) in rural town about 55 miles away from major city. If my OHD was to break down today, I would replaced it with a used but good auto from consignment. I feel like I have a customer base now. As long as the car come out clean at an affordable price people will come to your wash. If you buy a used machine u can price your wash a dollar or two cheaper because of the initial investment. The ROI on an mahcine from consignment will be quicker assuming you don't buy a lemon.

Final answer: Buy from consignment if you are a handyman.

bneckrock

Bill Neckrock
Reaction score
Vinh-

I agree with you. I would certainly look at a used unit if I was very familiar with it and I knew my local service company would support it. I have two OHDs and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another if it met certain criteria, e.g., reasonably low wash count.

If I had no IBA experience, I'd want to make sure that I had a source for parts and service. I don't count on factory support because I have good local support.

I agree with Agent, some CarWashConsignment offerings are outstanding.

bneckrock

Bill Neckrock
Reaction score
BTW- Check with your local distributor. He may well install a used unit. It adds to his service base. You will pay, but at least you will be ahead of the game by having someone who knows what the end products is suppoded to do.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
From my experience, unless you are some genius, I wouldn't go that route the first time. After you have operated an IBA then installing a used one wouldn't be that big of a deal. I installed my own new one, but it only worked because of the great help from the manuf. Powerain.

lag

Reaction score
I have to agree on the above advice. Even though ,buying used is cheaper. You may very well have to do some work on it to getting it running correctly,(potently added costs).the used one may not come with all the options you are looking for, so you may be required to add equipment(there is some more added cost).

Another costs to consider would be basically ,you are self warranting it

Another down side with the used machine is it may not have up to date options, (like washworlds virtual attendant).

So even though you can buy it cheaper ,there may very well be some hided costs ,that could drive up the final price.

agent

Reaction score
I understand what you mean. In the 12 yaers we have had our carwash the only work I hire out is to have the pavement sealed. I do everything else my self, change moter starters, pumps, filters. etc...
I work in a 240 megawatt power plant as an operator but have moved up the ranks through maintenance and was an apprentice electrician.
I just dont want to dilly dally around when it comes to a expensive investment like the IBA. I am sure when I watch the installer do his thing, I'll wish I bought a slightly used machine and put it in my self but like I said, I want to have the thing up and running by summer....By the way, I am in Northern California...maybe I should try to find a installer out here and talk to him...thanks for the response...

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I understand what you mean. In the 12 yaers we have had our carwash the only work I hire out is to have the pavement sealed. I do everything else my self, change moter starters, pumps, filters. etc...
I work in a 240 megawatt power plant as an operator but have moved up the ranks through maintenance and was an apprentice electrician.
I just dont want to dilly dally around when it comes to a expensive investment like the IBA. I am sure when I watch the installer do his thing, I'll wish I bought a slightly used machine and put it in my self but like I said, I want to have the thing up and running by summer....By the way, I am in Northern California...maybe I should try to find a installer out here and talk to him...thanks for the response...
Just as an example, and because you are in CA, you could purchase a used Ryko and have the factory trained direct area techs install your wash. If you have the skills (sounds like you might) you could have them guide you and supply the parts you will need to reinstall the wash. Every used wash I have ever installed needed parts that were either worn or destroyed during the removal. If you are to attempt it yourself, I would first check out a working wash of the same brand and type. Used installs can be very challanging but can also save A LOT of money up front. For example we installed a Ryko Monarch 2 HIGH IMPACT (touchless) that had sat idle for over three years. The wash had froze once, but was not damaged too bad. We installed the wash in a new bay with little problems (it did need some new parts of course) and it has ran for three years with less than 15 service calls. Most issues they have either fixed themselves or we have helped them on the phone. Originally the wash was bought to "Just get through" untill he could afford a new wash. At this point I see no reason for him to think about a new wash.
The nice thing about used brush machines is you often have more upgrade posibilities. Most older Rykos brush rollovers can be upgraded to foambrite. Even the old Ultra clean work horse can be retofitted with foambrite, along with the R7b, Voyager and Voyager2. Many of these older washes can be bought for next to nothing (if you can find them) and then upgraded to the newest brush technology.

Etowah