What's new

Need input on a good snow plow

sparkey

Reaction score
So winter is upon us once again. I am shopping for a snowplow for a ford F350. I don't have any experience with any brand of snow plows, however I believe I want a V plow. I have boss, western, and snow dog dealers in my area. Looking for input on the pros and cons on each and any to stay away from.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I've had all the brands over the past 35+ years. My favorite is the Boss V plow. The V plow is great for cleaning out bays because you can invert the v and it becomes a big scoop.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I own a boss v and love it. The ability to go from v, to side, to scoop, etc is incredible. I don't know how others do it with just straight blade. Too difficult for this guy. I have the handheld joystick for it.

I think I spent 5k which included installation.

Kirb

Reaction score
Boss DXT!!! I have a boss VXT currently but would definitely got with the DXT if it was available when I got mine.

sparkey

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. So what is your opinion on a trip edge verses a full trip plow?

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Not sure what this is. Is it where the side opens up when full?
Only the cutting edge trips. Something new but it seems all the plow manufacturers have some version of it. I have no experience using it. I think the idea is to keep from losing the load of snow your pushing when you hit an obstruction. My first thought was...how will I know when I hit an obstruction and trip the edge? By feel? At least with a full plow trip I can see when I smack something and can back off quickly.

wash4me

Reaction score
If you figure the number of hours you're saving against the additional expense how much per hour of operation is the v plow costing versus the straight plow?

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
If you figure the number of hours you're saving against the additional expense how much per hour of operation is the v plow costing versus the straight plow?
You'll forget all about the additional cost of the V once you use one for a while. Invert the V and you can make one swipe thru a bay and clean it out. A straight blade takes 2-3 passes. You can direct the snow where you want it and stack it as high as the truck. Western now makes a straight blade with "wings" on each end that extend outward to contain the load and/or give added width. That may be worth looking into. Look around craigslist, etc. We found a nice used Boss V plow and saved a couple grand. Our second one.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I like my Hiniker C plow I got last year. $6k installed. It is poly with a trip edge and scoops well, as it is a C shaped. Seems to go fast with 5 washes, and 6 apt buildings.