What's new

Need help: scratched windshield claim

soonermajic

Reaction score
My sons are detailing cars for spending money, this Summer. Guy who owns an oil company, comes back a week later, & says we put swirl marks in his windshield. I can see em, but don't know that we did it (maybe a Scotch Brite pad does it)? Any clue how you can get those swirl marks out? Text me if you can 409 ) 200-hoop (4667)

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I’ve been involved in detailing cars since 1969 and swirl marks on windshield are not a common problem.

Cure depends on cause. What do the marks look like – circular or oval, do they overlap, straight line or curved like wiper marks, etc?

Are the marks swirls that can be seen in different angles of light or are the marks actual scratches into the surface of the glass?

Although there is no reason to buff windshield with rotary or orbital, if so, swirls may be wax or polish residue.

So, you may want to try cleaning glass with water/vinegar solution (2:1) and old newspapers?

If the marks are scratches, they may be able to be removed by polishing.

However, polishing glass requires a considerable amount of talent and skill. Otherwise, the risk is deforming surface and vision through glass becomes distorted.

MEP001

Reaction score
Did they buff the windshield?

soonermajic

Reaction score
No buffing. Just cleaned it. I'm worried it's either a scouring pad (to remove bugs), or we didn't actually do it.

MEP001

Reaction score
A scouring pad like a Scotch-Brite sponge will definitely scratch a windshield, but if they used something like a teflon-safe scrubber it wouldn't have caused it.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Go on Amazon and search for Griots Window Polish. I've never personally used it, but the review all seem positive and it's worth a try.

I actually bought some to try to clean my windows in my IBA's.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Don't use newspaper as suggested, it won't solve the problem. I grew up using newspaper on windows too, cleans okay, however, microfiber towels are really what you want to use for cleaning windows.

As for the scratching, I too agree that a scouring pad can make those swirl marks. If your boys don't have the training on how to polish glass, then take it to another detailer who does. Chemical Guys have a nice YouTube video out there that explains how to clean and polish glass. Have your boys look it up for tips.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Don't use newspaper as suggested, it won't solve the problem.”

That’s absurd. The solution I mention certainly will remove polish or waxing residue from glass surfaces as will Windex or soap like the kind use in touch-less in-bays.

Use whatever material you wish – I prefer to use hospital linen for window cleaning.

However, microfiber towel has no capacity to remove polish or waxing residue from glass without a cleaning solution.

I’ve replaced two generations of windshields, I’ve repair windshield rock chips and star bursts and I’ve polished glass as a detailer.

I would say if the kids did scratch the glass while detailing you would have gauge how likely it is they can repair the damage without making things worse.

For example, although I am professionally trained on all of the above, I accidently broke wife’s windshield (cracked) while changing out wiper blade.

I turned into insurance, $50 deductable. They installed at her place of work.

Around here, average price for average quality windshield is $200 DIY or $400 installed aftermarket.

Hope that helps

I'd think twice about the Chemical Guys.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Robert is right about newspaper but if the scratches are that visible I think you may be out of luck. If it is worth a try to get them buffed out make sure you find someone that knows how to do it but I think you are going to have to replace the windshield. It might be simpler to offer to pay the guy's deductible if he has glass coverage.