What's new

Need all new equipment, everything !! Bought a closed down car wash in Pasadena, Texas

zathura21

Reaction score
Hi,
I am novice in this industry. Some how bought a closed down car wash thinking I will bring it down and make storage.
But cut the story short, decided to re open the self serve car wash. ( 6 bay , 6 vacuum , .6 acre, double entrance ).

Its in the main road of Pasadena. So chances are it may work.

Now, I am taking help of a great guy to advice/mentor me on buying all the equipment and fixing the place up.

Can you please guide me as to what are the common mistake a new guy can do and should avoid.

He recommend Coleman Hanna equipment, as they have local support in Houston, so I am going with that. ( Anyone disagree with that ?)

Please advice, what should I be doing to make my SS car wash stand out, reduce operational cost and be in budget.

Its costing me 200K just to get all new equipment's and installation. Plus building remodel , electric, plumbing work , Lighting.

Please help me, as I am nervous about all this :)

Next year planning to get INBAY, if this SS works.

Thanks Guys !!
RU

Wash4Life

Reaction score
It's tough to get a good return on investment from buying just a self-service wash. The items are low ticket, and many people over the years have migrated to getting a machine to do all the washing. It's not by accident that few pure self-services are being built these days. In fact, it's rare to see IBAs being built with or without self-serves. I may as well brace you for that.

Things I believe you should do or consider

1. Credit card acceptance.

2. Are you going to take cash? If so, are you going with bills, quarters or tokens?

3. Surveillance, not only for burglary and robbery purposes but also because of idiots who will dump mulch in bays.

4. What chemical are you going to use?

5. How many functions are you going to have?

6. Online presence

7. I would definitely have a phone number customers can call with comments and questions. We have a business cellphone we use.

8. What does your mentor have a vested interest in?

zathura21

Reaction score
Thanks you @Wash4Life
Its it very valuable.

Do you think I should add INBAY right way /

In place of waiting one year. I can reduce self serve to three and add IN BAY right now.
It will increate by budget by 250K.
Please advice. Problem is no one it telling me for certain, what should I do and not do.
I can completely purge the idea of SS car cash also. If guys like you( experienced) have negative mindset on SS car cash.

1. Credit card acceptance. YES

2. Are you going to take cash? If so, are you going with bills, quarters or tokens? CASH CARD and COINS all the machines

3. Surveillance, not only for burglary and robbery purposes but also because of idiots who will dump mulch in bays. YES CAMERAS

4. What chemical are you going to use? NOT SURE OF THAT ( KEENRITE)

5. How many functions are you going to have? ( 10 ) , Blower in two bay

6. Online presence ( May be create a web page and some membership, local marketing..)

7. I would definitely have a phone number customers can call with comments and questions. We have a business cellphone we use. ( Will do that)

8. What does your mentor have a vested interest in? ( He is taking X amount of money (under 15K, one time) to help be get it build, that all )

Please advice.

Thanks again !!
RU

Keno

Reaction score
Make sure the city/ county will let you reopen. Lot of places trying to get rid of SS washes and won't give a new biz license if the location was closed for a certain period of time.

MudMoney

Reaction score
I would go IBA right away ,that way you have 2 different types of customers. Use combo vacuum units and rug beater to set you apart from others. Finally consider as much on site presence as possible,it will increase your sales. Attendent needs to be out going and willing to engage customers .

sjb

Reaction score
Best of luck to you on this new endeavor…!

Depending on your location, you might consider adding a couple dog washes….

(8 bay SS, +2 dog washes, Atlanta)

sjb

washnshine

Reaction score
Yes - If you are not shy about sinking money into this project- do not wait for the IBA. You will only be pulling out one bay of ss equipment down the road if you do only ss to start and add an IBA later.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Don't know the demographics and traffic count, but I will say some things that are controversial.

Bill acceptors on equipment is a target for thieves and at my washes (with heavy credit card) use not worth the risk, expense, or hassle. Anything that has a bill acceptor on it needs to have upgraded security.

I've come full circle on car washes. When I got in 30 years ago I ripped out the standard vacs and installed combo units, installed bill acceptors in the bays, put in the big ass shur- vend refrigerated vending machines with nearly 40 items, etc. Hell, it took a day a week just to service the vending and combo units and pull the money at three sites.

If I built one today I'd likely go cashless, have standard vacs only, and probably no vending. Super simple to operate and makes 80% of the revenue that one with all the bells and whistles have. Much more attractive to a semi passive investor when the time comes to sell. Whether cashless will work will depend on local demographics, but I'm 85% credit card now at middle/upper middle income and many of those cash customers will pull out their credit card when needed.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Visited some SSs in Houston area. First time I saw "Cages" made of rebar surrounding venders so you could reach your hand in to deposit $ and retrieve items but it make it difficult to break in to machines. If you are in that time of area security of any cash locations is paramount.

Keno

Reaction score
Don't know the demographics and traffic count, but I will say some things that are controversial.

Bill acceptors on equipment is a target for thieves and at my washes (with heavy credit card) use not worth the risk, expense, or hassle. Anything that has a bill acceptor on it needs to have upgraded security.

I've come full circle on car washes. When I got in 30 years ago I ripped out the standard vacs and installed combo units, installed bill acceptors in the bays, put in the big ass shur- vend refrigerated vending machines with nearly 40 items, etc. Hell, it took a day a week just to service the vending and combo units and pull the money at three sites.

If I built one today I'd likely go cashless, have standard vacs only, and probably no vending. Super simple to operate and makes 80% of the revenue that one with all the bells and whistles have. Much more attractive to a semi passive investor when the time comes to sell. Whether cashless will work will depend on local demographics, but I'm 85% credit card now at middle/upper middle income and many of those cash customers will pull out their credit card when needed.
The old 80/20 saying strikes again - 80% of your time spent on 20% of your revenue

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
, but I'm 85% credit card now at middle/upper middle income and many of those cash customers will pull out their credit card when needed.
Greg, that is certainly a high percentage but does that separate IBA purchases from SS / Vacuums? Often when I hear a percntage that high it is because there are IBA and those seem to have a higher % of CC Purchases skewing overall statistics.

I agree CC Only may be the wave of the future. probably would want redundant swipers in the Bay.

zathura21

Reaction score
Make sure the city/ county will let you reopen. Lot of places trying to get rid of SS washes and won't give a new biz license if the location was closed for a certain period of time.
OK , never thought that way.
I went to city one time and asked what it take to restart the car wash and they said.. need to pass in inspections.
But this talk happened only one window with some lady.
I am not 100% certain about it. So need go again.
Is there any particular form or something I need to ask ?

zathura21

Reaction score
Yes - If you are not shy about sinking money into this project- do not wait for the IBA. You will only be pulling out one bay of ss equipment down the road if you do only ss to start and add an IBA later.

Should I convert one SS into INBAY or Create a new INBAY ?

-----------------------------------------------
| !
1 2 3 ERoom 4 5 6 Here |
entry |
| |
|------------------------------ |
| |
| |
| entry |

Should I convert bay 6 into INBAY ? Or 'here' - All new

zathura21

Reaction score

Cannot go cashless there.., May be I will take out bill acceptor from SS bay.
Putting only two combo and rest regular.
Debating about getting IN bay or not right now :|, that the big question

Randy

Reaction score
Before I got to excited about reopening this car wash you might want to do a whole lot of home work and find out why it closed in the first place. I can't remember why this car wash closed but I know the guy who bought all the equipment that was in it.

zathura21

Reaction score
Before I got to excited about reopening this car wash you might want to do a whole lot of home work and find out why it closed in the first place. I can't remember why this car wash closed but I know the guy who bought all the equipment that was in it.

I was told two partners, thing didn't work out in between. That all. Bought it from a investor.
If you can connect me with few people will be great.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
How handy or mechanically inclined are you or your mentor? $200K for a rehab yikes.....I have rehabbed 4 washes now and each one of them I picked used equipment and did most of the work myself with my shop guys. The used equipment route saved me considerable amount of money. I have all Coleman equipment in all my washes its good equipment wouldn't rely on them for support though. You probably will be buying parts from KleenRite because they are cheaper than Coleman for sure. Personally, I would rehab the self serve side things of things first before touching the auto.

zathura21

Reaction score
How handy or mechanically inclined are you or your mentor? $200K for a rehab yikes.....I have rehabbed 4 washes now and each one of them I picked used equipment and did most of the work myself with my shop guys. The used equipment route saved me considerable amount of money. I have all Coleman equipment in all my washes its good equipment wouldn't rely on them for support though. You probably will be buying parts from KleenRite because they are cheaper than Coleman for sure. Personally, I would rehab the self serve side things of things first before touching the auto.
My Mentor is not letting me buy refurbish , I talk to him right now also and he said buy Coleman all new.. and there support will help us.

Here is the break down .. Please review

SIX BAY SUPER SAVER MODEL 2500
PUMPING EQUIPMENT Includes Low Pressure
Tire Cleaner, Low-Pressure Pre-Soak, High
Pressure Detergent, Foaming Brush, Rinse,
Foaming Conditioner, Clear Coat Protectant, and
High Pressure Wax*All Stainless Steel
Construction*Totally Self-contained*Removable
Pump Assembly*Model Cat 5CP2120 Pump 4.0
GPM/1000 psi*Paraplate Regulators*Open
Access to all Systems*Self Contained Chemical
Tank*Fused Terminal Blocks*3 HP 3 Phase
Motors*High and Low Pressure Gauge*Pre-wired
and Pre-Plumbed*Low Voltage Electric
Panels*Freeze Prevention System*Pump Shut-Off
Valves*Cold Water Rinse*SuperSat
Ready*Single V-Belt & Pulley*Stainless Steel
Belt Guards*Easy Access to Chemicals*System
Lettering & Decals*E.T.L. Approved VOLTAGE:
220 CYCLES: 60 PHASE: 3 B AY
EQUIPMENT*360º Stainless Steel Spring
Booms*Trigger Gun Complete with Stainless
Steel Wand Tube Barrel Insulator and Tip
Protector*12" x 12" "Squeeze Trigger"
Sign*Stainless Steel Wand and Foaming
Conditioner Holders*3/8" x 15'L Rubber
Push-Lock Nylon Braid Foaming Brush &
Foaming Conditioner Hose*Master Menu
Sign*Hog's Hair Foaming Brush with Insulated
Aluminum Handle*180º Stainless Steel Foaming
Brush and Foaming Conditioner Boom*Stainless
Steel Foaming Brush J-Hook*3/8" x 12' Bay
Hoses with Swivel*3/8" x 12" Stinger Hose $65,000

SIX BAY 2000 GPD SPOT FREE RINSE
SYSTEM ON PUMPING UNIT*Mounted on
Mega Wash MG-3000, Super Saver Model 2500,
or Power Pack*Stainless Steel Control
Panel*R.O. Production and Delivery
System*Thin Film Composite
Membrane*Computer Controlled*Flow
Meters*Solenoid Valves*Automatic Membrane
Flush*Low Pressure Cut off*Low Water Level
Cut off*3/4 1 PH Production Pump and Motor*1
HP 1 PH Delivery Pump and Motor*ProCon
Vane Pump*Indicator Lights*5 Micro
Pre-filter*2Cubic Foot Charcoal Filter*175 Gal.
Polyethylene Storage Tank (31" Diameter x 57"
Height)*3' x 6' Spot-Free Rinse Banner*E.T.L.
Approved*Spot Free Rinse Sign VOLTAGE 240
CYCLES 60 PHASE 1 $10,000

TWIN ALTERNATING TANK WATER
SOFTENER - Twin Fiberglass Tank 120K Grain
Capacity *Polyethylene Tank*Water Meter*Two
Mineral *Brine Tank *Never Runs Out of Soft
Water *One Tanks On-line While Alternate Tank
Regenerate *Larger Pipe Size*Larger Flow Rates
*4 Resin Capacity per Tank *1.5" Pipe Size
*120K Grains Capacity *GPM Flow Rate: 20/40 $7,000

WATER HEATER PROBE - 5 KW Electric
Water Heater and Controls *Adjustable
Thermostat *220vt, 3 ph $2,500

REPLACEMENT BAY MARKETING METER
DOOR w/10-POSITION SWITCH
*Ten Position Rotary Switch *Cycle Timer
1034R (Count-down Timer) *Electronic Coin
Acceptor (Accepts One Type of Coin Only)
*Meter Heater (and Drying) Kit *Full-length
Lexan Decal *Two CAM Locks *Door Gasket
*Stainless Steel Door and Hinge *12" x 12" Price
Sign *12" x 12" Last Coin Alert *Last Coin Horn
*Weight; 31 LB.
*Size: 12" x 18" x 8" D $11,000

STAINLESS STEEL COIN VAULTS SINGLE
COIN DROP - $600 CAPACITY *Stainless Steel
Construction*Size: 9-1/4" W x 9-1/4" H x 8"
D*Weight: 23 Lbs.*Medico T-Handle Lock $3,600

MOD FV3 LED/III Fragrance Vac w/LED Timer
and Crypto Pay Swipe $6,700

MOD SVSR/BTT/II Shampoo Vac w/LED Timer
and Crypto Pay Swipe $6,700

Fragramatics MD SAV Coin Operated Vac
w/Crypto Pay Swipe $11,000

Hamilton DRS-XE Double Rear-Load Changer
With Hamilton XE Validators $6000

SIX BAY INSTALLATION KIT TO
INCLUDE*850' 1/4" Tubing in Green for Tire
Cleaner *850' 1/4"Tubing in Yellow for Foam
Brush *425' 1/4" Tubing in Blue for Foaming
Conditioner*425' 3/8" Blue Tubing for Foaming
Conditioner *425' Each 3/8" Black Tubing &
Wire Braid Hose*Twelve 3/8" Wire Braid
Fittings*470' 20-Conductor Cable*100 1/4" $8000
Nail-in Anchors Designed w/

All other installation , tax and fright $15000

This all adds up to more than $185K

How can I bring this below 100K, that is my budget :|

Please guide as to what I can use refurbish and what new.
The property has nothing that I can use. everything is takin out, completely empty.