What's new

Need about 50 padlocks keyed alike

Keno

Reaction score
Hi group, looking to buy about 50 padlocks keyed alike for our vacuum clean outs, dumpsters, and lower security stuff. The locks on there now are old and giving us trouble, some don’t open and some only sometimes open. Where should I be looking to get these? I have seen lock America thrown around a few times on these forums.

Also need to pick up a few new cam locks for some meter boxes. Old owner replaced some medeco with what looks like file cabinet locks at some point. Suggestions?

washnshine

Reaction score
Hi group, looking to buy about 50 padlocks keyed alike for our vacuum clean outs, dumpsters, and lower security stuff. The locks on there now are old and giving us trouble, some don’t open and some only sometimes open. Where should I be looking to get these? I have seen lock America thrown around a few times on these forums.

Also need to pick up a few new cam locks for some meter boxes. Old owner replaced some medeco with what looks like file cabinet locks at some point. Suggestions?
MasterLock can also key a bulk set for you.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
My local locksmith was able to provide American brand locks that were all keyed the same to access my vacuum cannisters. When I purchased the car wash in 2003, the owner handed me ONE HUGE keyring with ALL the keys to the car wash. What a liability if you lost that one keyring!! :O You may already know this, but its best to spread out your liability, in case that one keyring is lost. You don't want someone to find ALL the keys to the kingdom. Since then, I have re-organized the keys into 4 separate keyrings (vacuum cannisters, vending, vaults, coinboxes).

MEP001

Reaction score
allpadlocks.com They have very good prices and they can key them all the same to a specific key number or you can just order them keyed alike and you'll always get the same key number. I use this one, they look nicer than the plain laminated lock and they're all still working perfectly after more than three years.

Don't use any Master or American lock to secure money. They can be opened with a comb pick as easily as with the key.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Will the disk type locks work. I have 50+ up on a shelf because some years ago thief go the key. If you are farenough from me and it;s lo security stuff it should not matter. $500 Plus shipping.

Randy

Reaction score
You don't want to have all your locks with the same key. If someone gets a key your screwed.
For garbage cans, dumpster, lower vacuum clean doors we use one lock. Each of our vacuums have 3 different keys, because there are 3 different type locks, but the vacuums are all keyed the same. Our vending machines we use ABUS pick proof locks that are all keyed the same. The coin vaults use the same keyed Medeco lock and the same keyed round hockey puck lock. The only key the employees have access to is the garbage key.

MEP001

Reaction score
I used the 4140 from Windtrax. They are all keyed to the same number.
If I used that padlock on my vac cleanouts, they'd be cut off within a few days. The ones I linked are more expensive, but they can't cut the boron carbide shackle.

Keno

Reaction score
Thank you for all the suggestions - I will take a look at them. These are for all the lower security stuff at the wash - vac cleanouts and dumpsters mainly. These will not be securing anything of value, just mainly to keep the rift raft out and keep people from dumping their house trash in our dumpster. They are all currently keyed the same, they just need to be replaced due to age and abuse.

Truly, I think the area these washes are in some brass padlocks will do fine, I just need them to be keyed the same. Which will have to be bought through a lock company, not a hardware store.

MEP001

Reaction score
The site I linked has several brands and types. It looks like most of them can either be ordered keyed alike or to your existing keycode. There's a small brass padlock you can order keyed alike that's $3.17 apiece. I'd suggest calling to see if you can order more of the same later and get the same key number.

I ordered a bunch of LSDA brass padlocks from a locksmith, and later ordered more with the same key number, but the new ones wouldn't open with the old key.