What's new

Need a PLC

APW

Reaction score
I need someone smarter than me to help me figure out what PLC I can use to control a speaker. I need one with at least six outputs and ten to twelve inputs. On the output side I would need to be able to energize four to five of the outputs at the same time. The outputs and inputs would be 24 volts DC. Thanks!

Blanco

Reaction score
What are you trying to accomplish? Why do you need a PLC?

APW

Reaction score
I want to use it to send 24 volt DC signals to activate a speaker. Some of the voices take four of the outputs on at the same time, some take two or three. I did it with relays but I would like to try it with a PLC.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm fairly familiar with a ladder relay. The one I've used has 8 inputs and 4 outputs, and there are modules to add more outputs. IMO if you can do it with relays, you might as well do it with relays. The ladder relays will cost you around $300 to get 8 outputs and the software is a very steep learning curve beyond just dropping in very basic functions. Combining outputs from different inputs would be very easy.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Have you looked at the PLCs by automationdirect.com? They are a legit big company in Cumming. I went to a PLC class there about 15 years ago.

APW

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Have you looked at the PLCs by automationdirect.com? They are a legit big company in Cumming. I went to a PLC class there about 15 years ago.

John J Spokas

Reaction score
I want to use it to send 24 volt DC signals to activate a speaker. Some of the voices take four of the outputs on at the same time, some take two or three. I did it with relays but I would like to try it with a PLC.
It is definately easier to do this with a PLC once you get past the learning curve for programming.

Reactions: APW

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
APW & others,

Whether you are going to a PLC or just settle with your relay approach ... it is IMHO a good idea to separate all of the distinct voltage circuits on a basic ladder logic diagram. That just consists of simple rungs showing where & how a circuit within a specific voltage circuit is triggered-completed etc. When you tested with relays ... did you hear some unwanted audio noise?

John J Spokas

Reaction score
APW & others,

Whether you are going to a PLC or just settle with your relay approach ... it is IMHO a good idea to separate all of the distinct voltage circuits on a basic ladder logic diagram. That just consists of simple rungs showing where & how a circuit within a specific voltage circuit is triggered-completed etc. When you tested with relays ... did you hear some unwanted audio noise?
Using relays for this seems very labor intensive to me.......so many wires to strip and connect....mini PLC's make these kinds of projects much easier IMHO.

APW

Reaction score
APW & others,

I did not hear any noise. I did use shielded cable from the relays to the speaker though.

APW

Reaction score
Using relays for this seems very labor intensive to me.......so many wires to strip and connect....mini PLC's make these kinds of projects much easier IMHO.
It is very labor intensive. Now that I have people wanting me to build custom speakers for their machines, I was trying to find a simpler way to do it. A PLC seems like it would be as long as I didn't have to use the PLC and relays. Can you recommend a PLC?

John J Spokas

Reaction score
It is very labor intensive. Now that I have people wanting me to build custom speakers for their machines, I was trying to find a simpler way to do it. A PLC seems like it would be as long as I didn't have to use the PLC and relays. Can you recommend a PLC?
I can't recommend a PLC without knowing what you intend to connect to it. Voltage and amperage for inputs and outputs and also a clear description of the operation the PLC will handle. My direct experience is with a particular brand BUT most PLC manufacturers have similar products especially at the mini PLC end of the spectrum...

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
John Spokas, APW & others,

Good point. I notice that by using a good quality PLC-HMI you can also eliminate even more wires on some projects.

Blanco

Reaction score
In a previous thread where you asked for advice on wiring the Floyd bell I suggested relays for you to use. The ones I suggested are not giant ice cube relays like the ones you used in your box. They are less than a 1/4" wide and you can use jumper bars to connect up to 10 relays together (commons and incoming voltage). Saves a lot of time on wiring plus you don't have to use such a bulky box to house them in. There is no reason to use a PLC for what your trying to do.

APW

Reaction score
In a previous thread where you asked for advice on wiring the Floyd bell I suggested relays for you to use. The ones I suggested are not giant ice cube relays like the ones you used in your box. They are less than a 1/4" wide and you can use jumper bars to connect up to 10 relays together (commons and incoming voltage). Saves a lot of time on wiring plus you don't have to use such a bulky box to house them in. There is no reason to use a PLC for what your trying to do.
Thanks, I'll look at those again.

APW

Reaction score
More context. I have 9 voices so looks like I would still need 9 of the relays that you mentioned.

John J Spokas

Reaction score
More context. I have 9 voices so looks like I would still need 9 of the relays that you mentioned.
Good Morning APW,

1) What version/model of the Floyd Bell voice announcers are you using?
2) What is the source of inputs that you want to have activate the voice messages. Voltage and are they gonna be parelell connected to the existing car wash equipment or descrete/seperate connections?
3) At a quick glance it looks like if you have 9 messages from a Floyd Bell device which has 4 inputs then I think you will need more than 9 relays.
3) What area of the country are you located in? If you're close or near one of my travel paths I would stop by if it's okay with you.

Cheers!