What's new

need a new pump

cmawash

Reaction score
When you say you had 6 pump failures in one year what do you mean by pump failure? Did the crankcase fail or did the head of the pump wash out or was there some other failure. Were you using the correct pump for the application? Was the pump set up correctly? At what pressure and flow rate were you running the pump? Was the pump fed with a gravity tank or fed with city water pressure? There are a lot of things that will cause a pump to fail in short order.
pumping system was supplied by kleen rite, purchased 4- 2 bay pumping plants, equipment made by hydro spray to kleen rite specifications, pumps are easy to rebuild when the top end goes bad, THEY HAVE TO BE EASY TO REPAIR BECAUSE THEY SO MUCH.

pumps seals seem to fail often 1100 psi running, hydro spray says they built the units to kleen rite specifications, one of kleen rites named brand unloaders jammed and there was one seal kit lost.

HAVE FOUND THAT CAT SEAL KIT DESIGN DO NOT HOLD UP THAT WHY WE WOULD RECOMMEND AN OTHER PUMP COMPANY, THE OTHER REASON IS THAT CAT PUMP PERSONAL HAVE GOTTEN SMUG AND REALLY DONT CARE.

NOW THAT THE COMPETION HAS GOTTEN A LOT BETTER, CAT PUMP PRODUCTS HAS STOOD STIL

Cat is quick to blame every body by saying its not their fault, yet THEY talk us at the ica show it your fault if the don't replace the pump seals yearly to prevent head damage. may be we are in love with the 623 pump because it will run for ever, BUT 530 IS A TROUBLE PRONE LOW END PUMP THAT WILL BE CHANGED OUT IN THE FUTURE, AND NOT BY A NEW GENERATION CAT PUMP PRODUCT. wE SPENT GOOD MONEY FOR A DEFECTIVE DESIGN

MEP001

Reaction score
BUT 530 IS A TROUBLE PRONE LOW END PUMP THAT WILL BE CHANGED OUT IN THE FUTURE, AND NOT BY A NEW GENERATION CAT PUMP PRODUCT. wE SPENT GOOD MONEY FOR A DEFECTIVE DESIGN
That's just plain wrong. There's something going on with the design of the system that's causing premature failure of the seals. You even said an unloader "jammed" and caused seal failures, that isn't the fault of the pump.

Are you running unloaders with weep guns?

cmawash

Reaction score
that's just plain wrong. There's something going on with the design of the system that's causing premature failure of the seals. You even said an unloader "jammed" and caused seal failures, that isn't the fault of the pump.

Are you running unloaders with weep guns?
no weep, what we said was one seal failure was due to a unloader failure, there are 5 other punp seal failures,we also had problems with the cat thermal unloader safety valve always leaking under normal operation due to improper seal design. These are some of the reasons

cat used to be the best pump but have fallen behind in todays world, they will argue but there design says bad news

MEP001

Reaction score
That confirms the problem isn't with the pumps. The thermal valves shouldn't be opening if you're using non-weep guns and the right unloader - the pump will idle with no pressure and shouldn't build up heat.

So you're bashing a perfectly good product because of ignorance and a bad design.

cmawash

Reaction score
That confirms the problem isn't with the pumps. The thermal valves shouldn't be opening if you're using non-weep guns and the right unloader - the pump will idle with no pressure and shouldn't build up heat.

So you're bashing a perfectly good product because of ignorance and a bad design.
YOUR SO FAR OFF , THEY SHOULD NOT LEAK BUT THEY STILL LEAK AND AFTER WE TOOK THEM APART CLEANED ALL SURFACES, THEY STILL CONTINUED TO LEAK BECAUSE UNDER NORMAL FLOW OPERATION THEY STILL LEAK

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR A FACTORY REP FLOWING THE COMPANY line we make no mistakes AND IS NOT WILLING TO LOOK AT YOUR PRODUCT BECAUSE SOME BODY SAYS THERE IS A POSSIBLE DESIGN DEFECT
THAT WHY OTHER PUMP COMPANIES are now making a better product

WE HAVE ONLY TALKED ABOUT EQUIPMENT WE ARE RUNNING AND NOW ARE STUCK WITH THE MENTIONED PROBLEMS

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm not a factory rep, I've worked for a distributor and have rebuilt thousands of pumps of all brands as well as designed and built all kinds of self-serve equipment.

If you're referring to the thermal valves, no, they should not leak if the system is set up properly, but they will leak when the water temp gets too high. Are yours leaking cold water?

Randy

Reaction score
I’m curious as to what pump you are talking about that is so much better than the Cat brand? I’d install Arimitsu 516 in a heartbeat if they would fit in pump stand, there a little too tall, so I’m stuck with those 33 year old Cat 310 pumps that we’ve been using.

What I’d do if I were you cmawash is replace the guns with the proper weep type gun and I’m pretty sure your problems would go away.

The last 2 times I had to rebuild a pump was because something got stuck in the nozzle and it ruined the seals from the heat build up. No discharge flow, water heats up in bypass and the pump seals are ruined even with a thermal valve.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I’m curious as to what pump you are talking about that is so much better than the Cat brand?
Udor Pumps, the World Leader in Diaphragm Pumps and Plunger Pumps

The Cat 310 pump and their seal kits are cheaper than the Arimitsu 516? I thought the whole point was Arimitsu pumps and seal kits were cheaper but good?

I think it would be more interesting if someone discussed cheap pumps. Like Giant.... how bad could they be?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
The 516 is more equivalent to a 530 Cat, but will fit in place of a 310 or 5CP. The Arimitsu 311 or 313 is close to the capacity of a 310 and is cheaper.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I’m curious as to what pump you are talking about that is so much better than the Cat brand? I’d install Arimitsu 516 in a heartbeat if they would fit in pump stand, there a little too tall, so I’m stuck with those 33 year old Cat 310 pumps that we’ve been using.

What I’d do if I were you cmawash is replace the guns with the proper weep type gun and I’m pretty sure your problems would go away.

The last 2 times I had to rebuild a pump was because something got stuck in the nozzle and it ruined the seals from the heat build up. No discharge flow, water heats up in bypass and the pump seals are ruined even with a thermal valve.
Randy is offering some good advice here. I've got 30+ year old cat pumps, use giant unloaders, and use weep guns. Only had to rebuild one in the last 5 years. A seal was letting a tiny amount of water in the oil. Nothing wrong with cat pumps as long as they are set up right.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Hey guys where would you buy a 516 Pump from Kleen rite directly from Greg with Armitsu. I have only ever instailed one in 2007 in my uncles wash and have not touched it since. I would like to start slowly replacing my cats with them when they die. Thanks if someone could tell us where to get the best price on a 310 replacement kit.