What's new

Need a change

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
I've debated making some changes for a few months, and after cleaning up mud for three hours this evening I have decided to do something. I know I can't explain all the details of my wash, but it is a 6 bay SS with 3 JEAdams vacs, 3 Coleman combo vacs, 3 column drop vendor, dual changer, and hand wringer sink. It is an extremely small lot, I know it needs new paint. I am usually able to keep everything working. I use Warsaw chemicals and offer low pressure RainX. The bay equipment is kept in good or better conditon. Most of the bays run over 1000psi. It is located a mile from Texas Tech University, a block from downtown, but in a lower class side of town. The daily traffic starts off with BMWs, then turns to college kids, and ends with the locals. The thing is, when I bought the wash, it was a "$0.25" wash. Each quarter was 50 seconds, which over two years I have decreased to 40 seconds. I have updated the bay equipment to match the local universities colors scheme and am planning on updating the vacs with new decals and domes. I also will update the changer and vendor decals.

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
What I am trying to decide on is a new price point. I am tired a watching people use the weep spray, then the brush with no soap and then pop in a quarter or two to rinse and spotfree. I really am want to get rid of the less attractive customers who spend less than a dollar and cost me labor. Based on my current price would you think a $1 for 1.5 minutes is better or go higher to $2 for 3 minutes. Those are just round starting points, but wanted to compare the two. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Also, I had a cleanup guy but had to let him go a few months back, for non income reasons. I am not sure if I want to hire another just yet, so I'm really looking to deter the unwanted customers with pricing. I also feel if I could remove these unwanted customers that over a short time I could replace them with a more favorable one.

MEP001

Reaction score
Are you considering a high start-up price for a short initial time with a greater time per coin with coins added? Have you considered an "unlimited time" feature with a much higher start-up?

I have noticed that the ones intent on making the biggest messes with the least money spent are the ones that start the bay and let the time run out over and over. I just had a guy this evening pull into the only clean bay with a very muddy truck who did just that. If I was $3 to start and the competetion was still $1, he probably would've gone there (and would have ended up spending more money). It did take me twice as long to clean up his mess as he spent making it.

Reds

Reaction score
I'm at $2 for 3 min. and I still have cheapskates who try to use the weep, or one is using the brush while the other is using the wand. I have also watched people run around their car with the wand in order to get it done before the time runs out. I caught a lady the other day rubbing a really dirty car with the brush while her hubby followed with the weep water- until I told them to pay or leave. Some people just have to feel like they got the best of you to be happy. But I do believe that most people are spending more $ since I went from 4 min to 3 min for $2.

Red Baron

Reaction score
BW, I think you're on the right track. We're $1.50 to start and just yesterday I raised my price to 30 seconds (from 34) for $.25. My meterboxes have the TV remote-control and I can quickly change prices.

I've been toying with the idea of doubling my price for the few days after rain...my experience is that 95% of the people who will wash when the streets are still wet, are there to make a mess...might as well make them pay through the nose. I would then put out Windmaster signs saying something like:

MUD PRICE IN EFFECT
Price increased until the
streets are dry.

Etowah

E.Joramo

Reaction score
Put a vehicle detector loops that turns on a solenoid valve that cuts weep water to any bay that has a car in it. they pull in and weep water shuts off.
Erik
I'm at $2 for 3 min. and I still have cheapskates who try to use the weep, or one is using the brush while the other is using the wand. I have also watched people run around their car with the wand in order to get it done before the time runs out. I caught a lady the other day rubbing a really dirty car with the brush while her hubby followed with the weep water- until I told them to pay or leave. Some people just have to feel like they got the best of you to be happy. But I do believe that most people are spending more $ since I went from 4 min to 3 min for $2.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
IMO, a higher start-up cost definitely reduces the "low end" washers.
I'd go right to $2, but a few things could change my mind - like what your competition is & what their prices/times are; what your revenues are and whether theyre increasing or decreasing; what the economy is like in your town;

MEP001

Reaction score
E.Joramo said:
Put a vehicle detector loops that turns on a solenoid valve that cuts weep water to any bay that has a car in it. they pull in and weep water shuts off.
That's great, until someone parks in a bay long enough for the hoses to freeze up.

Reds

Reaction score
I considered a loop detector with some kind of timer, but I am afraid to cut my pad since I have heat in the floor. Also worried about someone sitting there in 0 degree weather and the wand freezing.

MEP001

Reaction score
There are loop plates you can bolt to the floor, but you'd still need an accurate map of the tubing so you don't drill through it.

madscientist

Reaction score
That's great, until someone parks in a bay long enough for the hoses to freeze up.
....or parks perpendicular to the bay but not in it, does one side, then flips around and parks the other way to do the other side. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if I saw that. I've seen people with one two cars in one bay, ends sticking out.

mjc3333

Reaction score
2 cars in one bay happens more often than you think. Customers really do the dumbest things.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
You could have the loop and a PLC reading the timer, if no timer for a X minutes everything turned off and the weep on.

MEP001

Reaction score
Or just purge the line with antifreeze. I've already written a program for a PLC and plan to implement it myself. The bays already blow down after each customer, and my thought was to shoot a small amount of something cheap like WalMart washer fluid through the line and purge it with air again.