What's new

Need 6 position rotary switch.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't even know if they make the old Oak switch anymore. Mouser.com does have a wide range of rotary switches, but they're not nearly as industrial as what we've been using in the wash bays.

Our Fresh Impressions vacs have six selections on an 8-position switch - the small steel screws that come with the Electroswitch 8-position switch go into the threaded holes on the back of the switch to prevent it from turning beyond those six selections.

soapy

Reaction score
You could use a 8 position switch and just wire the extra 2 positions to duplicate one or 2 functions. I have one location that I use a 10 position switch that has 3 HP rinse cycles. That keeps the customer from having to turn it backwards after soap and foam brush cycles.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Yeah, I know that I could use an 8 position, but I was trying to make it look more professional. What I plan to do is put the Etowah CC system on Fragramatics frag/vac combos. I would have to put a "STOP" button somewhere and the thing already has two toggle switches anyway. They are already too complicated for some people and adding yet another separate switch is not what I want to do. I want to use a rotary switch to eliminate all of the switches. I figure setting it up like this, STOP-VAC-STOP-BUTT CRACK-ARM PIT-AGED URINE, would be the simplest for customers. Putting two more "STOP" positions on the dial would work, but just not up to my standards.

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm anal. Now get out there and find me that switch!

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I.B. Washincars said:
Yeah, I know that I could use an 8 position, but I was trying to make it look more professional.
That's exactly what the Fresh Impressions vac has, and it looks very professional. Now that I know your purpose I wouldn't recommend the light duty switches from Mouser.com, but it might be worth a try. The toggle switches in the machine aren't anything special, just $3 ones you can get in blister packs at Home Depot.

If you did use an 8 position, as I mentioned you can limit how far the switch turns. You'd only need STOP-VAC-BUTT CRACK-ARM PIT-AGED URINE, perhaps another STOP after that, and the knob wouldn't turn beyond them. Put the switch toward the left side and the labels branching off clearly above, to the right and below.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
The toggle switches in the machine aren't anything special, just $3 ones you can get in blister packs at Home Depot.

If you did use an 8 position, as I mentioned you can limit how far the switch turns.
I plan to eliminate both of the toggle switches completely, using the rotary for everything.

How do you limit how far the switch turns?

MEP001

Reaction score
As I mentioned above, you run the steel screws that come with the switch through the holes in the back, and they act as stops. As far as I know, only the Electroswitch brand has these holes.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I guess you did state that. I didn't know you could do that.

I still would rather have a 6 position or maybe a 5...anyone???

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I still haven't done this project. I talked to Jim recently and he said he was going to do a conversion door for these machines soon. Of course, he hasn't done it yet. I'm going to be in that area this fall and I just may load them up in the truck and drop them off at his door.