What's new

NAYAX and/or Crypto Pay Charging Sales Tax

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I had a long conversation with Harry Kozlovzky from NAYAX yesterday regarding their units. I relayed the feedback from one of my earlier posts, regarding the frustration operators had in dealing with their online tools and poor customer service. He explained that the company was aware of those concerns and was making changes to address them. They’ve grown exponentially in the last two years, and are trying to realign their resources in order to better serve their customers, including an upgrade to their entire phone system (dropped calls), using an online tool for onboarding new accounts, etc.

As he walked through the features of the NAYAX unit, we came to the question of charging sales tax on self serve transactions. In NYS, cash transactions at car washes are exempt from sales tax, but credit card, fleet card, tokens, or any other non cash purchase must include 8% sales tax. Harry said NAYAX was unable to add that charge. He had never heard about the NYS Tax requirement and said they had many other operators in NY using their equipment and wondered how they were dealing with the issue. He asked why not just back into the transaction, and pay the tax myself. I told him NYS doesnt allow that because essentially the customer paying with CC would be paying less than the customer paying with cash, if 8% were carved out for sales tax.

With all of the neat features the NAYAX unit has, I can’t believe one of their 900 engineers couldn’t take 30 minutes to write some code that would add 8% to each card transaction. He said he would look into it, but also asked me to bounce it off others and see how they are dealing with this issue.

So…… are there any other operators in NYS that are using NAYAX or Crypto Pay readers, and how have you dealt with the sales tax issue? Are there any other states that require sales tax be added to credit card transactions? In the early 2000’s PDQ released an upgrade to their Access S Series software to add sales tax after I complained. It amazes me that a company like NAYAX can’t do it as well.