What's new

National Quarter Shortage

Rodebaugh1

Reaction score
How are Coin Only operators dealing with non-customers draining your changers? We get quite a few local businesses and residents hitting our machines daily for significant amounts of quarters. We have Smart Plugs on our changers that I can remotely shut off if I happen to notice a non-customer making change on the cameras - but it's still quite an issue.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
How are Coin Only operators dealing with non-customers draining your changers? We get quite a few local businesses and residents hitting our machines daily for significant amounts of quarters. We have Smart Plugs on our changers that I can remotely shut off if I happen to notice a non-customer making change on the cameras - but it's still quite an issue.
Had same problem awhile back so I put timers on all changers, solved my issue.

Randy

Reaction score
I gladly welcome those who need change. We are just breaking even on quarters so we don't have to go to the bank to deposit them or buy them. Sometimes we gain quarters and sometimes we are down a few. We keep a 1000 quarters in reserve. If it bothers you so much go to Tokens and be done with it.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've always had trouble with quarters walking off, around $500 a week. It got much worse with bank lobbies being closed during COVID-19, so I ordered 10,000 tokens that I just mix in with the quarters. I lost $4,000 in quarters in the two weeks before the tokens showed up. If I keep about 5% tokens in the changer I'll have about $500 in quarters to deposit at least once a month, $500 a week if I keep 10% tokens in it. My method is not for everyone, but it works for me, no sorting so everything just goes back into the changer. I also make about $1,000 a year from lost tokens.

slash007

Reaction score
I haven't had an issue until the past 3-4 weeks. Now they are really cleaning me out. This latest shortage must be worst than the last one, I didn't have any issues before.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
IMHO ... I am thinking that this 2nd coin shortage is also part of the "squatter in chief's" plan with the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) to kill off the most cost effective & durable cash (higher denomination coins) ... paving the way so that 100% cashless will come easy. It is called using the authority of the government to create impediments to achieve their totalitarian ideologies & goals! "Commander in Cheat"???

Courageous Freedom Fighters in Hong Kong include the "cash impediments" issue in their protests. BTW ... some of them are currently being persecuted, imprisoned & even murdered by the CCP.

I am banking on some of you to come to my rescue ... in case some gov't "goons" show up at my doorstep because of my above post. Hopefully, the elected local sheriff will also help come to my rescue. Time will tell ...

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I am banking on some of you to come to my rescue ... in case some gov't "goons" show up at my doorstep because of my above post. Hopefully, the elected local sheriff will also help come to my rescue. Time will tell ...
They hardly have time for one CCP (Crazy currency person).

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
IMHO ... I am thinking that this 2nd coin shortage is also part of the "squatter in chief's" plan with the CCP (Chinese Communist Party) to kill off the most cost effective & durable cash (higher denomination coins) ... paving the way so that 100% cashless will come easy. ?

Winner winner chicken dinner #1 Crazy conspiracy theory of the millennia.

srr5008

Reaction score
We've talked to our local fast food managers about their employees getting change (pictures from our cameras helped there).

Our biggest issue now is the laundry mat behind our wash. We've talked to the manager, who has put signage up but as we all know, no one reads signs. We removed the option to get change for $20's, which helped immensely. I also catch people quite frequently in the evenings, and explain why we can't allow non-carwash users to get change. It will never stop, but it seems like it may have slowed a bit.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
srr5008 & others concerned about periodic quarter shortages,

Just my observations & having the problem of quarters depleted a bit too much at our laundromat-6 bay coin op car wash. I am thinking that a bigger problem might be apartment house - mobile court laundries that tend to be quarters only.

We are hoping to start giving out as close to 100% dollar coins from our two 4 hopper Std ChangeMakers. 8 Hoppers total with a very small percentage of quarters given out ... despite ridiculous impediments on the current availability of a broad variety of laundromat "plug n play dollar coin mechs". Our brand new ATM that allows the customer to get any combination of $5s & $20s which should prove to be helpful similar to our previous proven $5 bills dispensing ATM for over 8 years. Dollar coins given out since the year 2000.

At some point the ship needs to be set on a better path here in the USA when it comes to a long list of issues ... including the "wishful thinkers" who think 100% cashless society is better. When "proper upgrade of coin & currency" is vital to the USA & its citizens' being able to exercise responsible freedoms!!!

Some token use can help ... it just so happens to not be my preference.

BTW ... It is very possible that this post will get me both childish name calling & falsehoods directed at me on this specific forum! Hopefully not though!

I see in our latest local news that our state owned bank of north dakota states that it needs to pay its brand new CEO close to $400,000 per year in order to keep it competitive with the CEOs in the private banking industry & supposedly ... avoiding potentially missing the boat on some hypothetical "TALENT". Go figure ....

Last edited:

Jsshac

Reaction score
It was so bad at one of my washes I switched to tokens. Problem solved

george361

Reaction score
I have placed a sign on changer (due to nation wide change shortage. Changer dispenses mix of tokens and quarters)and a few photos of bad actors. Resulted in immediate behavior change. I have placed no tokens in changer as I didn’t want to change coin acceptors in bays.

Calls to businesses causing issue and offered to set up a banking relationship, with a mark up for quarters, has been effective. None have taken me up on my offer but they get the message we are serious and will treat them as trespassing.

Randy

Reaction score
We have no problem with people getting quarters, we welcome them. We've started taking them to the bank again, about $1000 a week now.

Bricks

Reaction score
We have no problem with people getting quarters, we welcome them. We've started taking them to the bank again, about $1000 a week now.
I kept seeing this guy in a white terrain (on video) putting two twenties in the changer and leaving. Nearly every evening he did this. I was ready to talk to him about it, not because I’m short on quarters, it’s my obsolete changer that I worry about breaking down. And I don’t want to keep a lot of money in the changer either, yet I don’t want him draining it for the other customers. Well just tonight I saw him actually washing his vehicle. So I definitely won’t say anything to him now.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
If an operator starts to see 15+ twenties in a row on their changer log-in stacker ... the odds are it is a convenience store or fellow business owner as the perp IMHO. Why does the gov't & banks collude to set the stage for those & similar type of "happenings" among its citizenry??? Hopefully ... we can find a way for better leadership ... or just accept like pathetic dumb idiot sheep???

MEP001

Reaction score
If an operator starts to see 15+ twenties in a row on their changer log-in stacker ... the odds are it is a convenience store or fellow business owner as the perp IMHO. Why does the gov't & banks collude to set the stage for those & similar type of "happenings" among its citizenry??? Hopefully ... we can find a way for better leadership
The "gov't and banks" don't have quarters to restock your changer. Even if they did, is it going to fix the national debt by charging you a few bucks for some quarters?

... or just accept like pathetic dumb idiot sheep???
So you're saying anyone on this forum who doesn't join with you to lobby for change is a pathetic, dumb, idiot sheep? Because that will be everyone.