What's new

My own stupid mistake

wash wizard

Reaction score
The other day while cleaning the bay boxes, I coned off each bay and shoveled out the slush and road buggers, at the last bay I moved the cone, left the pail of quarters on the floor (not very smart however I was going to use some of them to hose down the bay after plowing it out) went to get my truck and in that time a van pulled in to wash. it was getting busy and for a fleeting moment, I forgot the quarters were on the floor. I noticed the van was not in the bay for more than about a minute, thought odd, he didn't use the total 4 min. oh no the quarters! Yep he picked them up and drove away with them. Luckily I got his plate number, called the police, they drove to his house, no one home. I got the address, went to the house, left a note saying I want my money. Later that night a women called said she didn't know what I was talking about and if I stepped foot on her property again she would have me arrested. told her I had a plate number and a video, if I get my money back I won't press charges. Later that night get a call from a guy, saying it was probably his nephew. Again told him my money back and no charges. Long story short, the next morning I get a call, the money is behind the dumpster, in the same pail he made off with, $218.00 in quarters. Got lucky on this one. Next time I won't be so careless. I have a love hate relationship with this business.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Give yourself a break! I have done many things in business that were 'less mindful' than your slip-up. I nearly lost a finger in 2009 while working too hastily on my Touchfree robot.

What you did was similar to leaving the cash register open during a rush of business at a package store. This is 'the small stuff' and you shouldn't sweat it.

I bet if you really think about it, you know many good customers who would've noticed the quarters and brought them over to you personally in an effort to help. The more I serve people in the truest sense, the more things go this way. But I still have people stealing and trying to get over. This business is tough like most small business and it's perserverance that pays off so don't get too down about it.:rolleyes:

bneckrock

Bill Neckrock
Reaction score
We all have "DOH" moments. Last week I left the wash, drove a mile or so when I remembered I forgot something. Drove up to the equipment room door and could not find my wash key ring. I searched through my pockets, the cup holders, my brief case...NO KEYS! Then I looked up and saw them hanging from the look on the equipment room door.

Ever contemplate the locksmith's bill to change every lock at your wash?

wash wizard

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate your kind words, and encourgement. I too am always searching for my keys, and have often times thought I lost them in the parking lot or left them in the lock and thinking OMG what now, change all the locks? Fortunately I have always been able to find them.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
One time when I was collecting my laundromat, I got distacted by a friend that wanted to "go somewhere". Next morning, I couldn't find my bag of money or the keys. Went to the wash and there was the bag right where I left it on the back of the machine, minus about $1000 but thank God the keys were there. A lot more than $1K to re key 3 places.

MEP001

Reaction score
I use a brass hook and clip my keys to a belt loop - I never set them down or let go of them in a lock. If someone asks me for something while I'm opening a lock, I say "Hang on a sec" and lock it all back up before I talk to them. Same with money - while I'm pulling, if I don't have it in my hands it's in the equipment room with the door locked.

The last time I let someone distract me with something unlocked, I was filling vendors. I left one with the locks sitting on top - surprisingly the next day not only was all the money still there that should have been there but people had bought product when they could have opened the door and taken it.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate your kind words, and encourgement. I too am always searching for my keys, and have often times thought I lost them in the parking lot or left them in the lock and thinking OMG what now, change all the locks? Fortunately I have always been able to find them.
The rule is the keys are always in your hand, or on your person. Key fob or pocket. (Some locks they need to stay in). Keys are never in a place where you aren't.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Wrapped about $1000 in a towel before I left the wash as I don't like walking out with bills visible. Got in my truck and left. Got home and couldn't find the $$. I set it on the roof of the truck to unlock it and drove off. Retraced my route all the way back to the wash looking for the $$ and found it in the middle of the road right in front of the wash. It had been laying there for about an hour. The towel was almost completely blown off with loose bills blowing everywhere.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I transport my money in cardboard boxes. I have a similar goofball :eek: story. I have four washes and always seem to need a part that is at one of the other washes. I kept a few odds and ends in my old Dodge truck, but didn't have room for much. I bought a new F-250 about 1 1/2 years ago and vowed to get more organized. When my new truck arrived I cleaned out and sold the old truck. Most of the stuff landed in my garage at home. Within a few months I added a storage area under my back seat and a few months later a set of tool boxes in the bed. It took me a while to get everything organized, but I finally have a decent setup and often have whatever I need in the truck. A couple of months ago I needed a valve for my weep system and patted myself on the back for having one right there in the truck. I removed the old valve and opened the box with the new valve to discover that there was no valve in the box, but $538 instead. When I put the money in a box I always write the wash and the date on the box. It was nearly worn off, but I could make out a date of April 10th, 2008. Although I laughed my butt off at myself I was a little embarrassed when I realized how many times I had moved that box not knowing what was inside. It was in the old truck for about a month, on a shelf in the garage for about another 5, and in the new truck for about a year. Oh well, I hope I embarrass myself that way a few more times:D

HCCW

Reaction score
We all have "DOH" moments. Last week I left the wash, drove a mile or so when I remembered I forgot something. Drove up to the equipment room door and could not find my wash key ring. I searched through my pockets, the cup holders, my brief case...NO KEYS! Then I looked up and saw them hanging from the look on the equipment room door.

Ever contemplate the locksmith's bill to change every lock at your wash?
Unfortunately, I can tell you. $3,500. That was for 3 locations. Jeanine

Rudy

Reaction score
I talked to another owner who forgot to engage the locking mechanism in his self serve vaults. He got distracted, and only set the vault head into the vault.

Apparently after enough Quarters had built up behind the vault head, it fell out onto the ground.

My friend found an empty vault with the vault head on the ground.....complete with the Medeco lock perfectly installed !

After I heard this, I made a mental note to give a tug on the handle prior to walking away....just to be sure.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Great stories!
I guess the key to all of this is to try and not get distracted. It's not always easy, but I try to stay focused on the task at hand (especially when its cash related) and try to finish or get it to a point that I can do something else if needed. It's tough, but works for the most part.
Big