What's new

My $15 per month internet solution for CryptoPay

CarWashHelp

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
We installed CryptoPay at our car wash back in January and it has worked very well for us. I want to share my $15 per month internet setup with everyone because I haven't seen a cheap internet solution for CryptoPay posted anywhere here. At our car wash we only have one wired internet provider available and their cheapest internet for businesses was about $75 per month. So the setup I came up with is saving us $720 per year.

You'll need:
1. CryptoPay Controller
2. Ethernet Cable
3. Straight Talk Mobile Hotspot Device
4. Netgear Wireless Bridge

It was really easy to setup. First activate the mobile hotspot using Straight Talks $15 per month data plan. Follow the instructions to program the Netgear Wireless Bridge so it connects to the mobile hotspot. Connect the CryptoPay Controller to the Netgear Wireless Bridge using the Ethernet cable. That's it! Our setup runs 24/7 and is really fast. Cards are authorized in about 2 to 5 seconds. The $15 per month data plan provides 1GB of data, which is more than enough for what CryptoPay needs.

Randy

Reaction score
I wish I could use it for my HD cameras but my IT guy said there's not enough bandwidth

sparkey

Reaction score
Does that give you a static IP address? I wonder how secure it is?

CarWashHelp

Reaction score
Randy, your IT guy is right. Definitely not enough bandwidth to use for remote video monitoring, but it's more than enough for just simple credit card processing. We currently use this setup with 5 swipers (4 bay swipers and one goldline swiper), and plan to add 7 more (4 vac swipers and 3 vending swipers).

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Does that give you a static IP address? I wonder how secure it is?
You're not going to get a static IP with this method. While it solves the Internet connection, it's limited in use. If all your doing is credit card transactions, then it's a great, low cost solution. If you're wanting to use high bandwidth devices, such as video, or if you want to remote into your system, then it's not the right solution. You'll need to go with one that can provide a static IP, or pay a domain provider such as Dyn.org or something.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I wish I could use it for my HD cameras but my IT guy said there's not enough bandwidth
Randy & others,

This article says expect 4-9 mbps 4G ??? average speed based on tests: http://www.bandwidthplace.com/internet-speed-test-3g-4g-lte-and-wifi-who-wins-article/

Straight Talk has a 5gb plan for $50 so based on that maybe an operator might want to play with the bandwidth adequacy a bit more. The IT guy could have other considerations though. Lower uploads could be a factor. My cable connection consistently tests at over 60 mbps download but upload is much less ... that is mostly a gain in downloading & uploading huge multi gigabyte files. I have been using free NetWorx https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/ for several years & it is really reliable & even monitors the connection & signals a loud alarm when configured with a linked sound file. Those of us who rely on our connection to have 100% up-time for whatever processing ... including monitoring break in alarms ... equipment down etc ... could find this useful. I have!

Mike Walsh King Koin of Bismarck

lilb93

Reaction score
Wondering What the actual charge to use Crypto-pay. Looked at some old posts and they said 5.5% to 20%??????
Anyone using it what is the end rate you pay. Thanks

CarWashHelp

Reaction score
Wondering What the actual charge to use Crypto-pay. Looked at some old posts and they said 5.5% to 20%??????
Anyone using it what is the end rate you pay. Thanks
Using our statement last month from WorldPay, I divided the total revenue by the total fees, and the total fees amounted to a little over 4% of total revenue.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
All in fees for Cryptopay is about 5.5%. That is all fees, including other stuff like interchange fees all clearing houses charge. So, I am not sure what the Cryptopay portion is.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Do you have to have static IP for video?

Comcast is telling me I need this and will be charged more for the static IP address.

Overachiever

Reaction score
Probably depends on the equipment but you don't need a static IP for video. I use a SWANN DVR and it has an option for using a DDNS. So when you view your cameras online you aren't going to xxx.xxx.xxx everytime you are going to yourname.swanndvr.net and it doesn't matter if your IP address changes.

Last edited:

cap732000

Reaction score
Haha! I did the same thing and it has worked like a champ I just had to have a router to plug hotspot Into! Great money saver!

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Warning: This issue discusses connection issues with a Windows XP OS. (GASP!) Divert all innocent eyes before continuing.

I rushed right over to Wal-Mart and snagged one of those Straight Talk Mobile Hotspots after reading this post. It works like a champ on all of my newer devices…and even on my old retired PC who’s tongue’s been hanging out for years.

Before I call in the “Pros from Dover”, maybe someone can suggest a solution for my connection issues with the Straight Talk wireless hotspot and my Car Wash PC.

The XP machine at the facility operates a PLC control system on the 10/100 local area network.

The LAN connections travel to a network switch which includes the DSL modem to the outside world.

The new Belkin USB Wireless Adapter sees the Wireless Hotspot with no issue.

However, when the PC reboots every night, the LAN fails to reconnect. The only solution I’ve found is to physically remove the Wireless adapter from it USB port…the LAN then connects immediately and the control system returns to full operation.

It would appear that the Wireless adapter is conflicting with the LAN but, what do I know? I wouldn’t be asking if I did, right?

Suggestions?
BTW, the control software cannot be updated to a newer OS…and yes, I know, if the PC ever crashes I’ll have to buy an entirely new control system. That’s all new hardware that I’m not willing to invest in at this time. If I can’t get the $15/month data service to work, I’ll just continue spending $80/mo for the DSL service.

I'll be back...but now, I gotta go to pound a few hundred golf balls on the driving range.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
This sounds too simple! Why are you rebooting the PC every night? :-}

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Bringing this old thread back to life. Since some time has went by, how is the Straight Talk working with Cryptopay? Also, does anybody have experience using the hotspot with surveillance systems? Bandwidth usage issues?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Bringing this old thread back to life. Since some time has went by, how is the Straight Talk working with Cryptopay? Also, does anybody have experience using the hotspot with surveillance systems? Bandwidth usage issues?
I use about 25GB/mo monitoring my 16 camera CCTV system on my phone. Any that is using mostly WiFi at my house.

I'd imagine that, depending on how many cameras you have, you could eat a TON of data, and more than likely they throttle your speeds at a certain limit, which would make watching videos, unpleasant to say the least.