What's new

Must be the season

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
A rare busy day. Unseasonably mild weekend weather after a rush hour front splashed through the city.

Walking the lot, I came across two gentlemen and a kid pointing at the coin box and engaged in conversation. As I approached, I noticed the out of state plate on the road weary car.

“Everything OK?” I asked.

“Yeah, we’re just new to this.” Replied the older man with a smile.

They headed off to the changers and I went back to my tasks.

A couple of minutes later I observed the older man still standing in front of the meter…the younger man and the kid are washing in the adjacent bay. Humm…maybe there’s really a problem. I approach again and see the older man inserting coins into the coin return.

“May I help?” I ask. His expression of frustration turned to embarrassment as I dropped a couple of coins into the acceptor.

“You think I’ll be able to wash this for $3.00?”

“Well,” I replied with a smile. “You’re gonna have to work fast.”

He chuckled and started randomly spraying soap over the crusty surface. I stepped away and watched as he wasted away the time.

He finally made a lap around the car as the last minute alert sounded. He looked at me and asked if he should switch to rinse. The younger man and the kid were done with their wash and pulled out of the bay. They approached as I responded. I surmised that this trio was grandfather, father, and son. And grandpa was visiting for Christmas. The still filthy car was now streaked and covered in soap.

“Let me help.” I answered as I reached to take the wand. I swiped my card several times and switched to presoak. The heavy foam completely transformed the surface from dirty white to bright purple.

“What’s that you’re using?” the younger man inquired.

“It’s presoak.” I answered as I splattered the foam over the entire car, filling the bay with it’s fragrant aroma. “It works great at cutting thru the mag chloride and bug guts.”

I switched to tire cleaner and started spraying the heavy green foam. “This is tire and wheel cleaner.” I explained. “It does two things…cleans the rubber and lets the presoak work for a few moments.”

Grabbing the gun and switching to soap, I started hitting the rear bumper. “Wanna help?” I asked the kid. Showing him the technique I passed the gun to him and recommended spraying from bottom to top…to prevent streaking.

Father and son stood aside and observed as I encouraged the kid to work the surface. “Get closer…keep moving…there you go…opps, missed a spot…hit that again…”

His enthusiasm waned as his hands began to fatigue from the pressure. The last minute alert sounded again and he still hadn’t made it to the front fender. I swiped the card again, adding about ten minutes to the meter. “Want me to take over?”

He happily handed the gun over and I went to work…blasting the bugs and grime. A through wash, rinse, wax, and spot free rinse was finished in about 10 minutes. The pearly white finish sparkled as I returned the gun to the holder.

I smiled as I announced “Done!”

“Wow. Nice job! I wouldn’t have done nearly as good.” Exclaimed the grandpa.

“Yeah,” I sheepishly agreed.
“You came in for a car wash and would have left with a “car wet”, I chuckled.

“Looks great...how much do I owe you?” the grandfather asked.

“Have a Merry Christmas!” I replied, shaking his hand.

Louise

Reaction score
Very nice story. Thank you sharing. It brought a smile to my heart.

Baywash

Mike
Reaction score
There is a book called "Go Givers Earn More". If you liked this story and believe it has value, you should read this book. I talks about this exact sort of attitude to help you with greater prosperity. I am requiring all my sales staff in another business to read it.