What's new

mounting/bricking in new meter boxes

BBE

Reaction score
We are in the process of putting new meter boxes in all of our bays. Currently pondering any and all options for anchoring it or mounting it into brick walls. A while back Jim at etowah valley had mentioned a foam adhesive that you spray inside the hole that you cut into the walll, and the foam then expands and cements the meter box in...permanently.

Seems like a pretty slick option. Does anyone know the specific product he may have been talking about? Or better yet, have any experience with it or a similar product used for this purpose?

pgrzes

Reaction score
I use stuff called "great stuff". They sell at Home Depot and lowes. we fill holes where birds get in and any cracks or joints that need to be filled. let it sit overnight and use a hacksaw blade to cut flush then mix some cement or morter to coat the surface.
What kind of meter boxes are you taking out?? I am looking for bigger meter boxes for my location.

BBE

Reaction score
I use stuff called "great stuff". They sell at Home Depot and lowes. we fill holes where birds get in and any cracks or joints that need to be filled. let it sit overnight and use a hacksaw blade to cut flush then mix some cement or morter to coat the surface.
What kind of meter boxes are you taking out?? I am looking for bigger meter boxes for my location.
Not taking any out actually. Mounting the new ones on the side next to the old small ones. We are just going to put a sign over the old ones.

mac

Reaction score
Please allow me to offer a suggestion, as I've done a fair number of these. You want this to end up looking as professional as possible. After all, this is where your customers interact with your business. I would encourage you to remove the old and put the new boxes in the hole. I generally get a nice quckie saw with a 12" diamond blade. Make the hole about 1" larger than the new boxes all around. Chip out the concrete as necessary, being careful not to cut the cable to the equipment room. Place the new boxes in the hole and prop up with any scrap handy. I usually have the face of the box extend out from the wall about 2 to 3 inches. Fill in most of the void with the great stuff and let it expand and cure. Takes about 4 hours. Next put a plywood form around the box, leaving the top open. Make real darn sure this form is really secure to the wall. Through bolts help a lot. Mix up some concrete, a little soupy. scoop into the forms, and tap with a hammer to let it settle and fill in. Remove the forms the next day, and you can then tile or stucco over the concrete. You will have a very nice looking meter box that is also very secure. It will be worth the extra effort.