What's new

Motor thermal overload kicking.

Twodose

Reaction score
I have one that has kicked 2 days in a row. Any suggestions on what to check? Seems it kicks all the 24v, the gs31 display in the bay goes out, yet the gs401 inside still stays on.

So I’m not sure if it can be kicked by any short or problem with any of the 24v wiring, or if it is just related to a problem with the motor, or contacts.:confused:

mac

Reaction score
If it's the motor overload tripping there are just a few things that will cause that. I would first put an amp meter on the line and see what the actual draw is. Do this with the trigger pulled and not pulled. Turn off power to the starter and check ALL connections from entry to the panel, to the wire nits on the motor. Does the pump sound normal? If the water has no place to go, such as when a pressure regulator gets clogged, it will overload a motor.

MEP001

Reaction score
The thermal overload on D/H equipment doesn't disconnect the motor power, it disconnects the control voltage from the contactor. It's wired to also prevent another customer from losing money, which is why the bay timer (and acceptor) lose power. A short in the 24V side won't trip the thermal overload. It shouldn't trip with a contactor issue either - only an overload or weak connection after the thermal overload should do that.

Twodose

Reaction score
I replaced the motor contactor and overload protector with a new one and seem's to have solved the problem.

There must have been a problem with the overload protector or the contactor, I am not sure.

Checked the amps on each leg and they were within the limits stamped on the nameplate.

Also used din rail so the next contactor would be easy to replace.

This contactor has been on there for 14 years, I don't know if thats a long time for that or not, seem's like it is.

Also this is the most used bay.
Just an update. :D

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Throw the old contactor away. But before you do, take it apart and look at the contacts. I'll bet they were scorched pretty good, causing resistance and more amperage and then shutting down on overload. This will give you piece of mind that that was the actual problem.