What's new

MOTHER'S DEFAMING AD in AUTOMOTIVE CONSUMER MAGS

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Here is the response to an e-mail I sent to Mother's

... humorous, over-the-top, tongue-in-cheek ...
We apologize to those who misinterpreted our intent.
Sorry Shane Cristman, I call BS.
Reading comprehension is one thing I do not struggle with - no misinterpretation here, that's not an apology or a retraction, it's quite clearly a "go scratch" response.

TonyMCC

Reaction score
Mothers Controversy Coverage

For those interested, Modern Car Care just did a couple of stories on this controversy. The ICA, WCA and International Detailing Association have all demanded an apology and requested printed ads retracting the ad's depiction of automatic carwashes.

Mothers issued a canned statement, saying it regretted that the carwash industry took offense to the ad and apologized to those who "misinterpreted" the intent of the ad. Mothers CEO Dennis Holloway yesterday said the ad would be "short lived" but would not say if the company was pulling the ad from further publication or planned to place any ads retracting the controversial ad. My guess would be no.

You can get more details at www.moderncarcare.com. You can view the stories directly at:

http://www.moderncarcare.com/hotnews/-devilish--carwash-ad-to-be--short-lived-.html

http://www.moderncarcare.com/hotnews/mothers-ad-compares-carwashes-to-the-devil.html

Best,
Tony

Danny

Reaction score
It makes me mad when a company thinks they are too big and don't care who they step on. That was not anything close to an apology that was blaming it back on car washes for not being smart enough to understand an ad.
I think Mother's doesn't realize the massive power the car wash and detailing industry can impose over the consumer. Everyday how many vehicles are washed and detailed by professionals nationwide? Can you imagine the damage that could be done to their reputation if their products were given the same treatment as they have dished out? If professionals not only stopped using and recommending their products but made them appear inferior, low quality, and over the counter product refusing to apply the product for customers who might request it, what damage that might do to Mother's reputation?

Ok I'm off my soapbox the ifs, shouldas and couldas are done.

JustClean

Reaction score
I think Mother's doesn't realize the massive power the car wash and detailing industry can impose over the consumer.
And that is worldwide thanks to the Internet. Is there a valid reason as a carwash operator / detailer to keep on using Mother's? I think this show backfired. I guess I know what I am using from now on...

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I agree as for us we should not use their products, but I wouldn't get too worked up over it, the public doesn't remember anything in 2 minutes. What brand used "Where's the beef" We remember this one because we are in the biz. Most people don't use and have never heard of Mother's so the rest of the ad would be ignored.

Try this problem on for size, 50% of your packaging has to tell your customers not to use your product. http://www.autocareforum.com/Itstoughmakingabuck.html

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've always used Mothers Wax. I was as appalled by their ad as everyone here. However, my problem is this; I've never used a better product for paste waxing a vehicle. It has far too many great qualities for me to kick it to the curb! If I had a worthy replacement based on cost and ease of use/end results, I would switch but so far I have never found anything that even comes close in all those categories.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Wax, you might call the company and ask to speak to the CEO, the odds are that you won't get through to him, but usually you can get through to his personal/Executive Sec. and just calmly explain to them that you have been using their products forever but this direct slam to you and your other business is very upsetting and could she recommend the next best product because you just can't in good conscience continue to use their products.

It will be interesting to hear how they handle it, but at least you will probably get a bunch of free product. IMO an ad agency came up with this campaign and they will drop it and never use it again. There was one of the autoparts stores, with a bad ad, they dropped it and its long gone.

bcwang

Reaction score
Waxman,

Not saying you should abandon Mothers, but if you're looking for alternative paste waxes that deliver great results at a great price, try out:

-Finish Kare #1000p
-Collinite 476s or 915

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
have tried these bcwang. not as good imo.

been waxing cars since 1985; tried everything else i think...

bcwang

Reaction score
Have you tried Wolfgang Fuzion? I would have suggested it first except for the cost factor doesn't seem to be what you are looking for.

termn8tr

Reaction score
Wax, you must try Klasse-All-One and finish of with P21S 100% Carnauba Paste Wax or Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax. These products are superior. I always swore by Race Glaze until I tried these. Check out the $400,000.00 Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, I just finished last week on my website. lakeshorecarwash.com

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This person has no concept of the carwash business or of sarcasm. Yikes!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I see that Mother's has issued an apology and says this ad will be "short-lived" whatever that means. Regardless of what they are doing in response to all the criticism they have received I question their commitment to total car care if they have such little regard or knowledge of our industry.