What's new

Most Efficient Hot Water System (IBA + SS)

kdersch

Reaction score
I was looking for ideas on the most efficient way to for hot water at a facility I am looking to buy. The current system uses a large boiler to store water in a pressure tank. The tank then feeds the self service hot water tank (for soap/wax) and feeds each (x2) IBA hot water tank.

The current large tank is leaking and rusted out - I'm assuming about $5,000-$6,000 to replace. Is there a better way to go about this and still meet the system needs?

MEP001

Reaction score
Before sizing, think about what you want to heat. Mine has a huge boiler which was disconnected years ago when fuel prices went really high. I've got business back where I could afford to run hot water again, but before I do I plan to switch wax to low-pressure, and rinse will be cold, so only high-pressure soap will be heated. I plan to start with one insulated storage tank and one on-demand heater with the ability to add more if I need to. I might run out of heat, but there's no risk of running out of water. It'll cost about $1600 to start with.

kdersch

Reaction score
Before sizing, think about what you want to heat. Mine has a huge boiler which was disconnected years ago when fuel prices went really high. I've got business back where I could afford to run hot water again, but before I do I plan to switch wax to low-pressure, and rinse will be cold, so only high-pressure soap will be heated. I plan to start with one insulated storage tank and one on-demand heater with the ability to add more if I need to. I might run out of heat, but there's no risk of running out of water. It'll cost about $1600 to start with.
Currently the HP soap and wax are heated. I think it'll only be the soap in the future depending on what i switch out with the wax or if I add another LP feature (currently there are no spare spaces). Once I get a better feel on the IBA equipment, i'll know what they can do/support I think,

CarWashBoy

Reaction score
Just my opinion and what customers love is, Hot Everything.. all function Hot Water.. You will make more $$$$

Etowah

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If you have a hot water storage tank on your pumping unit you can might can use the current setup by recirculating in that tank.

I prefer a good old fashioned tank water heater. They will often last 15-20 years with no real issues You can get a 100Gallon 199K BTU for around $3500. But there are some real nice ones out there (I think Soapy has one) that are all stainless and very efficient.

Bill Capron

Reaction score
My hot water system was horrible. It used a 40 gallon hot water tank that supplied a open top holding tank to gravity feed to the pump inlets. The water to the customer was almost always cold even though I was paying to heat it.
I built a lid to cover the tank and insulated the top and it’s improved to a acceptable level. First customer in the morning gets cold water because of long period of no use and if it’s really busy the tank can’t keep up. Otherwise the customer gets hot water.