What's new

Mosmatic spinners

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have a couple of sets of Mosmatic spinners on the new auto I just installed. We replaced a ss bay so I tried using the 5cp2120 to operate the spinners since it was already there. It does not have enough volume to spin them properly. Armitsu has a 10 gpm pump that will mount on my pump bench in place of the 5cp. I could use the same motor and mounting. That is 2.5 times the volume of the 5cp. It is a friction wash so the spinners are mostly just for show but do you guys think 10 gpm will spin the things and provide that show?
Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
What tips are in the spinners and how many are there? You need to calculate the flow/pressure you'll be running to size the pump properly.

Doug P.

Reaction score
A 5cp is rated at 4 gpm and with a total of eight 1501's that should be a sufficient volume to get 1000 psi which should turn the spinners. Probably something i am missing but i have 4 sets of them and they turn great at 1000psi.

Doug P

Doug P.

Reaction score
My mosmatic spinners have 0002 tips and that is probably the difference.

Doug P

ken-pro

Equipment Distributor
Reaction score
I have a couple of sets of Mosmatic spinners on the new auto I just installed. We replaced a ss bay so I tried using the 5cp2120 to operate the spinners since it was already there. It does not have enough volume to spin them properly. Armitsu has a 10 gpm pump that will mount on my pump bench in place of the 5cp. I could use the same motor and mounting. That is 2.5 times the volume of the 5cp. It is a friction wash so the spinners are mostly just for show but do you guys think 10 gpm will spin the things and provide that show?
Thanks
More importantly, you will have to consider the horsepower of the existing motor. To run at 10 GPM @ 1000 PSI you will need a 7.5 horsepower motor. If you have a 3 hp motor, max you can run at 10 GPM is about 400 PSI. 5 HP - 700 PSI.

Tips will need to be sized accordingly. 10 GPM at 1000 PSI would require a #20 nozzle, or 8 x #2.5 nozzles.

There are several math formulas involved. Your limitations are the HP of the motor, and the required volume to spin the Mosmatic spinners. With this info you will need to calculate RPM of the pump for the required volume, pulley sizes to achieve that RPM, and tip sizes to accommodate the maximum pressure at that volume, keeping in mind the HP of the motor.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Greg at Armitsu has been helping me with this. Increasing the tip helped the spinning but I think I'm still going to move up to the 10 gpm pump.