What's new

More Crap from AOL/ Read This Before You Pay For Your Next Car Wash

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Read This Before You Pay For Your Next Car Wash

I guess AOL is so desperate for filler that they will publish anything. This opinion piece masquerading as news is so full of inaccurate information it borders on slander.

Usually, when one goes to the car wash, the place offers a step up from the basic wash that includes wheel cleaning. Car wheels get dirty as a result of super-heated semi-metallic brake dust that comes off the brake pads as they squeeze the brake rotors. This metallic dust impregnates the wheel's clear-coat finish permanently staining the wheel. No exterior car wash/water-solution will clean it

The only way to restore the finish to original condition is to have the wheel sand blasted, painted and clear coated again

Car wash waxes give a nice temporary shine, but don't provide much ongoing protection. How could they given the price point? A typical professional paint sealant application costs anywhere from $100 - $200 because it's labor intensive along with the cost of the actual product this versus $2 or $3 at the car wash. Call me a skeptic, but I'd rather save my money for a nice big Chunky chocolate bar .
As for these extras offered by the neighborhood car wash? Skip them, and put the money in the piggy bank. Do, however, spend the appropriate amount of money to have a few of these things, like wheel cleaning and clear-coat protection, and rust-proofing (if you are inclined), done at a proper detailing or body shop using the proper products and application methods.
More crap journalism from AOL.

mac

Reaction score
Wow, why didn't I think of putting sand blasters at a wash for the wheels?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I posted a reply. I think it encumbent on all professional car washers to post a comment.

Our industry has a huge PR problem. Check out the comments.

I would hope ICA would write something AOL. This might be too much to hope for.

IS ICA going to do anything for "Earth Day"?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
AOL says Tom Torbjornsen is an automotive expert but describes mostly his 20 plus years in journalism and automotive talk radio, big market that is.

If you examine Tom’s article archives, you will find he deals mainly in tackling heavy weight topics like,

Do I Need To Replace My Air Filter?

Oil changes: where should I get them done?

Where do I stick the ignition key in?

Maybe if your customers struggle with pressing issues like this, you might have something to worry about. LOL

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
AOL says Tom Torbjornsen is an automotive expert but describes mostly his 20 plus years in journalism and automotive talk radio, big market that is.

If you examine Tom’s article archives, you will find he deals mainly in tackling heavy weight topics like,

Do I Need To Replace My Air Filter?

Oil changes: where should I get them done?

Where do I stick the ignition key in?

Maybe if your customers struggle with pressing issues like this, you might have something to worry about. LOL
Robert, do you think he gets paid for such wisdom?:rolleyes: