What's new

Money Back on Utility Bills??

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A salesman came in saying if I gave him my utility bills he would a.) look for errors and b.) split the $ he would 'get me back'.

Anyone experienced this or have an associated story you could tell w/out violating the new Forum legal guidelines???

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Did he provide any credentials? I've never heard of this.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You need to check out this company to make sure it is credible. I did this a few years ago witih my company and got a few bucks back but nothing to cheer about.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
He gave references of other customers as his credentials.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Like anything else, check it out. Sounds like you can't lose but we all know how that usually works out.

MEP001

Reaction score
Our electric provider called and said they could save us a lot of money on our electric bill. My first thought was that he wasn't really with our provider, but when I met him at the wash he had credentials. My first thought was, if they want us to save money, why don't they just lower the bill and not make me waste time meeting someone? My next thought was "What an idiot," because after he introduced himself he looked around and said "Ummmmmmm...." I had to re-engage him to proceed, then he says he needs to see a past bill to see if we were eligible. I told him I would have brought one if he'd said he'd needed one, but he passed the blame back to me saying he figured we had an office on site where we kept all the bills.

Guess we won't be saving money on our bill any time soon.

JustClean

Reaction score
My electricity company called me once and also said they could save me money if I answered a few questions. I did and the result was that they put me on a different tariff saving me around 18%. Higher weekday and lower weekend rate.

washnvac

Reaction score
I used a company called "audi-bill" one time when I owned a fast food restaurant. Same deal, they check your bills to see if they could save you money. I signed up. The deal was they get 50% of any instant savings, and 50% of the next five years savings. Turns out I was on the wrong electric rate. I was due a $7000 refund, and saved $12,000 over the next five years. I had to split both amounts with them. I was ****ed at myself because this was something I could have checked into myself--very easily. Live and learn.

At one of my car wash sites the municipality uses demand to set the rate class. In my case I needed a 50kW demand for two months to be moved from commercial to industrial rate, which is cheaper. So for one day, two months in a row, I went and turned everything on withing 15 minutes. This got the demand to just over 50, which moved my rate lower. This rate would then be set for 12 months. I did this three years in a row. I have since added a second iba, so the demand is 50 or over most months. But the end result during those years was that my net savings was $2000 per year, over what the normal commercial rate would have been. Neat, huh?

Etowah