What's new

Mixing foam brush soap with Rv antifreeze?

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
I am thinking of Mixing foam brush soap with Rv antifreeze? Instead of mixing with water I was thinking of pre mixing a drum of bubble up from KR and trying it instead of weeping. I can get it for about a buck a litre. I will probably go through a lot of anti freeze, but i will stop the weep washers.
Anyone tried this? I may try one bay first to see how the brush works.
Any comments would be great!

Reaction score
I am thinking of Mixing foam brush soap with Rv antifreeze? Instead of mixing with water I was thinking of pre mixing a drum of bubble up from KR and trying it instead of weeping. I can get it for about a buck a litre. I will probably go through a lot of anti freeze, but i will stop the weep washers.
Can you get winter foam brush soap? We get methanol in 55 gal drums and ust a dbl injector to mix it with a hydrominder.

Reaction score
Where do you buy the Methanol? Tried this last year but never got it and had to order pre-mixed.
We have a company that sell it to us 20 drums at a time and we do a pre-buy so our customers get a good saving on it, i think we have a few extras.

soapy

Reaction score
I get my methenol at a local gas jobber. In addition to gas and oil they also sell other automotive fluids.

Kirb

Reaction score
Can you get winter foam brush soap? We get methanol in 55 gal drums and ust a dbl injector to mix it with a hydrominder.
I currently buy the pre-mixed or mix it myself. With the double injector method is it safe to have straight meth in your pump room? Is there an advantage to using the injector rather than mixing it? When mixing it myself I used regular foam brush soap. What’s the difference in the winter brush soap?
Thanks,
Kirb

Reaction score
I currently buy the pre-mixed or mix it myself. With the double injector method is it safe to have straight meth in your pump room? Is there an advantage to using the injector rather than mixing it? When mixing it myself I used regular foam brush soap. What’s the difference in the winter brush soap?
Thanks,
Kirb
I dont think it is any worse than pre mixed, pre mixed is still about 80% meth, There is no advantage to pre mixing or using an injector, it all has to do with what you like and if you have room for another drum.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I thought the premixed was 90%; 50 gal methanol + 5 gal soap concentrate. No?
(I dont really know, thats why I'm askin)

bigleo48

Reaction score
Coin,

Its a bit of a tricky matter with our cold winters. First, you need a big ratio of methanol (cheaper than RV antifreeze) to get it to not freeze in the dead of winter. In my test, dual inductor hydrominders don't get the ratio high enough to stop freezing when its below -15C. I'm not sure you would save that much for the bother.

The other thing to consider is that methanol is flammable, so there is some risk holding that stuff in the equipment room. Not sure if you've ever tried this, but you can set windshield washer fluid ablaze if you light it.

I feel that the winter foam brush stuff is for more temperate zones. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong on this.

Big

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
If you're diluting the FB mixture with 90% methanol, what tip do you recommend for the hydrominder? Also, if you dilute the mixture with that much methanol, how does that effect the way foam is made and how well it works?

Reaction score
If you're diluting the FB mixture with 90% methanol, what tip do you recommend for the hydrominder? Also, if you dilute the mixture with that much methanol, how does that effect the way foam is made and how well it works?
Black for meth You will have to play with your soap tip untill you get the foam you would like. The meth kill the foam a little

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I guess I was thinking more in the terms if the methenol was already mixed with FB soap using a single feed hydrominder?

bighead

Reaction score
If you plan on going through a lot of soap during this winter I would buy a large amount of methanol and either mix or dual induct.

If you only stay below freezing for a week or three out of the winter like I do, I would just buy some RV antifreeze (methanol based) and mix about 4 gallons of it with 2 quarts of FB solution, then either straight tip or grey tip it into your tank and adjust your air/product mix to where you get a lot of foam.

It all depends on how much you plan on going through IMO and how much of it all you want to inventory.

When it gets below freezing overnight I just let it weep. When we are going to be below freezing for several days in a row I switch over to the antifreeze FB. Some guys here have the whole thing automated even, but again I don't stay cold enough in my neck of the woods to make it worth while.

CCAR

Reaction score
I would say a black tip that is what we use. In Ohio I would say black
I think you need to try different tips on the methanol to find what works for you. Right now I am using a white tip because its not too cold. Most of the time I use a red or beige tip and that is not going to get you down to zero degrees, but I have found people don't wash when it's that cold or I usually shut it down so they can't wash. Even if it does freeze my hose and brush it thaws out quickly when I re-open or the temperature comes up. The original person who I talked too told me to use a black tip as well, its just by experimenting that I have found you don't need to go to that size of tip.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
If you only stay below freezing for a week or three out of the winter like I do, I would just buy some RV antifreeze (methanol based) and mix about 4 gallons of it with 2 quarts of FB solution, then either straight tip or grey tip it into your tank and adjust your air/product mix to where you get a lot of foam.
I see a lot of the Rv Antifreeze is made with Propylene Glycol. Will this work or do you need to look for Methanol Based like you suggested? Just curious as to the difference and am wondering how hard it is to locate the methanol based product??

CCAR

Reaction score
I see a lot of the Rv Antifreeze is made with Propylene Glycol. Will this work or do you need to look for Methanol Based like you suggested? Just curious as to the difference and am wondering how hard it is to locate the methanol based product??
I don't know about the propylene glycol, but you would think that it should work. Windshied washer fluid has methanol in it and it seems as though methanol is most widely accepted as the product to use for winterizng foam brush soap. I get my methanol from a local gas/diesel bulk delivery company that delivers to farmers and other large companies that use bulk fuel. In our area a lot of methanol is used for fuel in stock car racing.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Coincarwash...what did you end up doing?