What's new

Mirror damage to an old car

BobH

Reaction score
So I am relatively new to the business. I have a customer call me and tell me the automatic broke his side view mirror. Fair enough Stuff happens. I asked if the mirror was retracted and he said it doesn't retract. Ok fair enough again. Then I found out it's a 2009 Hyundai. A 13year old car! should I pay for a 13 year old cars mirror? Technically the whole car should have fallen apart by now anyway.

MEP001

Reaction score
should I pay for a 13 year old cars mirror?
If you don't have a disclaimer posted, possibly. A lot of operators have a notice of "Not responsible to damage to cars 10 or more years old" for this very reason.

Randy

Reaction score
If you don’t have disclaimer signs up, get them up ASAP. I wouldn’t pay for it. We once had a women claim that the brushes on our car wash ripped off her mirror. When we met her and the car wash looked at her van and she’s going off about the brushes damaging her van, etc. etc. We asked her to show us the brushes on our touchless PDQ 4000 automatic. We walked over to the PDQ 4000 and told her to show us the brushes and she said that we took them out so we wouldn’t have to pay for her mirror. Then she tells us that her husband was the one who took the van to a car wash near his work and it wasn’t at this car wash that the mirror was ripped off. She then tells us that this is the closest car wash to their house and all car washes are owned by the same people, because they all say ‘car wash” so if they say car wash they are owned by the same people. We didn’t pay for her mirror and she broke my heart when she said she was never coming back here. It’s unbelievable how stupid people are.

jack954

Reaction score
i wouldn’t! i had a lady pull out of my automatic with her rear bumper dragging the ground claiming the brushes ripped it off. i checked cameras and everything appeared fine on her old piece of crap SUV entering. i told her the only way it would come off in the wash was if it wasn’t attached securely when she came in, as i have washed thousands of cars and never tore off a bumper. she wanted my insurance info but i never give any info at all if i don’t believe i am at fault. half hour later a couple guys pulled up and snapped it back on she left

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Have a 10 year old disclaimer at my 4 tunnels after reviewing receipts for about 40 mirror and found 36 were 10 -12 -18 years old. Went from 40 repairs per year to less than 4.

BobH

Reaction score
If you don’t have disclaimer signs up, get them up ASAP. I wouldn’t pay for it. We once had a women claim that the brushes on our car wash ripped off her mirror. When we met her and the car wash looked at her van and she’s going off about the brushes damaging her van, etc. etc. We asked her to show us the brushes on our touchless PDQ 4000 automatic. We walked over to the PDQ 4000 and told her to show us the brushes and she said that we took them out so we wouldn’t have to pay for her mirror. Then she tells us that her husband was the one who took the van to a car wash near his work and it wasn’t at this car wash that the mirror was ripped off. She then tells us that this is the closest car wash to their house and all car washes are owned by the same people, because they all say ‘car wash” so if they say car wash they are owned by the same people. We didn’t pay for her mirror and she broke my heart when she said she was never coming back here. It’s unbelievable how stupid people are.

BobH

Reaction score
Funniest story I herd in a long time.

Etowah