What's new

Minimum charge for credit cards

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Two bucks is awfully low given the fees associated with cards. Is this for the minimum self-serve time or token sale or how is used? What is the average amount spent per card transaction? We don't offer cc use in bays, but if a customers asks to swipe a card for cash to use in the bays, it's a $10.00 minimum. Hey, it saves them ATM fees.

MC

MEP001

Reaction score
I set it the same as the start-up time for cash, $1.50. It's extremely rare that anyone uses less than twice that amount, and I suspect that the ones that do are just rinsing something off, so the costs of water/product are minimal. I was concerned someone would say "It's illegal to charge more for credit card".

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
In our area many of the big truck stops charge more for credit transactions. The way they may get around if is that they have a cash price and a credit price but it is still the same thing.

washme1

Reaction score
My minimum is $3. Startup in SS is $2. We have bonus time programmed for $5 cash but can not use it for credit card since cc minimum is below $5.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
$3min - $15max credit card
$1.75 to start via cash

It's only wrong if you charge different per minute whether cash or credit is being used. Meaning, if you're .25/30sec for cash, then you have to be at .25/30sec for credit card.

Remember the old days where gas stations charged less for using cash? :)

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
$3min - $15max credit card
$1.75 to start via cash

It's only wrong if you charge different per minute whether cash or credit is being used. Meaning, if you're .25/30sec for cash, then you have to be at .25/30sec for credit card.

Remember the old days where gas stations charged less for using cash? :)
Most diesel pumps at truck stops still charge less for cash.