What's new

Methanol and Purge System

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have developed and have been using a system similar to the Polar Freeze Guard with a few additional features. With that, I have been using -20 washer fluid for the purge. I am just about through my second 55 gallon drum and would like to use some leftover methanol I have (roughly 100 gallons). My question is, would it make sense to purchase standard washer fluid to thin the mix and ensure I don't damage my lines? What would make the most sense be able to utilize the methanol without screwing up my system? Any ideas?

BBE

Reaction score
Well I don't have the answer to your question. We have a purge system with poly tubing lines, and we have always used methanol to purge with. We've thought about trying out washer fluid instead, how has that been working for you? Do you run it straight, or dillute it? For us the methanol with no tip is generally good until it gets into the single digits. Any ideas what temp you seem to be able to sustain without freezing with the washer fluid?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I just did a search for the Safety Data Sheets for Splash -20° Washer fluid.

http://www.splashwash.com/data_sheets/MSDS -20F Splash new format.pdf

It is 31% methanol by volume. So you should be able to mix roughly 2 parts water and 1 part methanol to get the same results as -20° washer fluid.

Bubbles....Are you using washer fluid to winterize your whole wash. 110 gallons seems like a lot! Although, maybe not depending on what your protecting. I only use it for 3 bays of Tri-foam and have used less than 10 gallons this winter. But it hasn't got much use since temps this winter is staying below freezing most of the time. So it doesn't get that daily cycle! Are you using air too...

Last edited:

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
2Biz beat me to the dilution ratio...but you could try mixing the methanol and water at different ratios and test it in your freezer.

And 2Biz...
I've used about 400 gal of fluid this season! But, I'm protecting 8 foam brushes and 8 foam guns.
When it's below about 20F, I use very little fluid 'cause "ain't nobody washin"
But, on those busy sunny days with temps between 25F and 35F, the foam guns and brushes get treated 4 to 6 times per hour.
Just like everything else, the secret sauce system gets a real workout!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Good Point! When temps are below 32°, hardly anybody uses the tri-foam. A lot of people use the FB, but I use methanol soap there....

BTW, How much washer fluid did you use with the old system that didn't inject air? It had to be a lot! You should be seeing a nice savings. OR is it costing the same but income is way up?!?!?!?! Kinda like the light bill?!?!?! I liked that one!

Last edited:

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Uh...
Different weather conditions
No foam guns to protect
Bad economy/revenues
I'm using about 2/3 less since the revision.

The light bill...arrgh! Gotta do something about those Demand Rates! Either that or tear down 2 bays???

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I have developed and have been using a system similar to the Polar Freeze Guard with a few additional features. With that, I have been using -20 washer fluid for the purge. I am just about through my second 55 gallon drum and would like to use some leftover methanol I have (roughly 100 gallons). My question is, would it make sense to purchase standard washer fluid to thin the mix and ensure I don't damage my lines? What would make the most sense be able to utilize the methanol without screwing up my system? Any ideas?
The methanol won't hurt the system. The washer fluid is also methonal based.

MEP001

Reaction score
Yeah, you can even drink methanol. But don't.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I would think you could look on a container of anti freeze foam brush soap and get a good references to temp/dilution ranges.

Do you guys buy windshield washer fluid by the gallon or the barrel?

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Ez red makes a windshield washer hydrometer. Its like 10 bucks, and has a calibrated float for testing methanol dilutions. We have used it for years... Turns out raw methanol at 6:1 dilution with water is good to 0 degreesF.