What's new

Meter Box Decals

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I wanted to update my Etowah Valley Coin Boxes by changing from their Quickpay timers and card swipes to Dixmor timers and Cryptopay. I didn't want to go through all the work of updating without replacing my very worn decals. After seeing someone recommend Ahearn Signs out of Michigan for decals I gave them a call and couldn't be happier. After mailing them a template decal I purchased from EV for the cutout placements and a hand drawn picture of what I was looking for, they had a proof turned around one day after they received it. A week later I had my decals which I think look great and match up perfectly. Its been a while since I've dealt with a company that does what they say, when they say, does a good job and for a fair price. I'll be doing more with Ahearn in the future. Aheran W25th Bay 1 (2).jpg

MEP001

Reaction score
Decal looks good - keep us posted on how they hold up over time.

I see you missed the memo about replacing "STOP" with "OFF." ;)

Twodose

Reaction score
Are the decals pretty thick?, I am curious because the decals I had made by craftmark signs years ago are very thin compared to the decals I used to get from D/H before they went out of business. The D/H decals lasted a long time before showing any wear.

Last edited:

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
I’ve had thinner and I’ve had thicker. The backs of them say 3M Controltac Graphic Marking System and the fronts feel like a matte lexan but on the thinner side. I’ll be curious to see how they hold up as well. Time will tell.

JCM

Reaction score
Most sign shops can laminate a clear over the decal that would extend the life of the decal. The decals I have had done I did not do the clear and some of them are 3 plus years old and still as good as new.

JCM

Reaction score
We paid around $25 per decal but I did all the artwork. We used our local Signarama.

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
Did EV do a blank template decal just for the cutout placement, or was it a decal they designed?
I wanted to order custom decals from EV but after trying for 6 months I gave up. Jim is the only one there that does them and he’s too damn busy to monkey with a few decals. So I ended up just calling them and buying one of their stock decals to use as a template. That probably cost me $30 but I couldn’t waste another 6 months.

MEP001

Reaction score
FWIW I used S. Thomas to make decals by sending them precise measurements, and they came out perfect. I can't imagine why anyone who makes them couldn't do the same.

JCM

Reaction score
In order to get the cutouts in the correct spots, I trace the bay meter door onto a piece of paper marking all the cutouts. Then I take that to kinkos and use their large format scanner and scan it so I have a full size image. I then bring that image into photoshop or illustrator and use that to get the exact locations of the cutouts. I’ve used this method to make custom decals for changers as well as bay meters.

MEP001

Reaction score
In order to get the cutouts in the correct spots, I trace the bay meter door onto a piece of paper marking all the cutouts. Then I take that to kinkos and use their large format scanner and scan it so I have a full size image. I then bring that image into photoshop or illustrator and use that to get the exact locations of the cutouts. I’ve used this method to make custom decals for changers as well as bay meters.
I just use a tape measure.

OurTown

Reaction score
I use digital calipers. Old toolmaker here.