What's new

Mercedes Fabric Stain removal

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
We recently detailed an '02 230 Kompressor hatch-back that had cloth seats. A rear headrest, the rear seat back and floor carpet had what looked like coffee or cola stain on them. The front passenger seat also had black rimmed water-mark type stains (oh, would pictures make this easy so much easier). Warm water shampoo and extraction failed to touch the passenger seat and made only moderate improvement to the rear stains. The customer stated that the stains were not beverage but the result of having the roof window open during a rain storm. She also said that staining occurred when she spilled bottled water on the fabric. Needless to say, we were frusrated and disappointed by the result of our efforts and I know the customer's expectations were not met. I would like to bring the vehicle back in for another crack at it. Has anyone dealt with this problem in this vehicle? Suggestions on what to try next?
Thanks, all.
MC

buda

Reaction score
Stain Removal

Stain removal is not like shampooing carpets and fabric upholstery. It is a science where you identify the cause of the stain; have the proper stain removing chemicals for:

Protein Stains
Tar & Grease Stains
Coffee & Tea (tannin) Stains
Red Juice Stains
Rust Stains
Pet Stains

Then you need to have the right removal equipment. Without exception the best way to remove stains is with a Vapor Steamer and you can pick up a small unit for under $100 which will work perfectly for stain removing.

You will not have success with difficult stains unless you approach them from a scientific point of view with all the chemicals, tools and knowledge to remove them.

Regards

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glass cleaner method

For water marks on upholstery I use glass cleaner. Many types of vehicles these days have a less-expensive fabric that is prone to water spotting. The glass cleaner method works well for me.

As an aside, this sounds like the perfect opportunity to sell the customer a fabric protection treatment once you successfully remove the stains.

I haven't used a vapor steamer but plan to buy one this year.

Good luck.

pcb

Leprechaun Car Wash
Reaction score
Just a thought, don't waste your money on any hundred dollar steamer. All it will do is make you mad and you'll never want to use one again. Look into a professional grade steamer and you'll be glad you did. It is a great piece of equipment in the detail shop. For the water marks try using a tannin to surround the stain, then use the steam. I have a steamer I use all the time and will be glad to tell you what I use. I don't sell steamers but if you would like any help on steamers pm me and i'll be glad to answer any questions.