What's new

Memorial Day

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Here's a brief history lesson about Memorial Day. In the 19th century, "Decoration Day" was started to encourage citizens to decorate the graves of soldiers who died in the Civil War. After World War I, the observance expanded to include ceremonies honoring those who died in all of America's wars. The holiday became Memorial Day in 1967.

Now, Memorial Day is celebrated on the last Monday in May. Touching and beautiful ceremonies are held at cemeteries across the country, and if you haven't ever attended one, I encourage you to go this year. I guarantee you'll come away with a new appreciation for the extraordinary efforts of our veterans, and the ultimate sacrifice of those who gave their lives for our country.
General George S. Patton offered his own perspective: "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."

Over 400,000 American soldiers and sailors died in World War II. Around 1,000 World War II veterans are dying each day. These are the unsung heroes who saw action in Europe, Asia and Africa, and then came home and got down to business. We know them as the "Greatest Generation" -- the men and women who took on big challenges and gave selflessly. Can we meet those standards?

I drive past Fort Snelling National Cemetery in Minneapolis every time I go to the airport. The unending rows of white grave markers are a solemn reminder of the millions who have died for our country from the Revolutionary War to the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

I wonder how many of us could survive boot camp, much less wartime conditions. My worst day at the office will never compare to what our veterans have endured.

We honor them for their commitment and service. We recognize their sacrifices, and their families' sacrifices, that allow us to go about our everyday activities. Even those of us who work seven days a week still go home at night, unlike those on long deployments overseas.

We shouldn't wait until Memorial Day to show our gratitude for our servicemen and women. Yes, I am an unashamed flag-waver. I like it here, and I am grateful to those who have made my freedoms possible.

Mackay's Moral: Show your true colors -- honor our veterans.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
We have been to fort snelling many times and the cemetery is an impressive site. On monday I hope people will remember those that gave the ultimate sacrifice, and not look at it as a day off from work.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I plan to stop at the cemetary on my way to the wash today, just to walk around and think about the true meaning of being an American and to be grateful.

Looking forward to it.

cardonations

Vietnam Veteran
Reaction score
veterans

Yeah, thanks for the history lesson! Yeah, it is ashame we have to wait until a special day to remember our troops. I do not think that the public realizes that we wouldn't be here if it were not for our Vietnam Veterans and veterans from World War I and II. The current generation may never understand because they did not have to live through it.

May grandma hates the fourth of July. Why? Because the fireworks remind her of the bombs that use to go off near her home in Italy many years ago. That was how bad it was!