What's new

MEI bill acceptor

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
I am having an issue with a Mars validator and am not sure where to start. The bill acceptor will not turn on. When i turn on the main power, the control board lights up- green light, counter- but then after a few seconds, the Out of Order light will come on. The red light on the Mars will not come on. I have checked all of the connections. Is this likely a power supply or acceptor issue? I plan on swapping this bill acceptor with another this afternoon. Just wanted to see if anyone has any other thoughts.

Randy

Reaction score
I’m assuming that this MEI validator is installed in a Hamilton Bill changer. It could be a number of things. When you power up the machine and the out of service light comes on what error code do you get on the controller? Without knowing what the error code is on the controller it’s pretty hard to say what the problem is. It’s going to be one of three things.

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Well I have an update and the title may need to be changed. I have learned to try the small things first even if I have no idea as to why it may help me understand the problem, so before I swapped the acceptors, I swapped the coin hoppers. Sure enough, the changer worked and the other changer now with the "bad" hopper will not work. So, I am now thinking it may be the sensor that lets the controller know there are coins in it. Its the only thing I know of that would allow the changer to shut off due to the hopper. I have not taken it apart yet. Any other thoughts? This is an American changer.

Randy

Reaction score
There's nothing inside that you can fix so don't take it apart. The only thing you can do is clean the brass strips on the inside of the hopper. If that doesn't fix it you'll have to send it in. You could have a bad controll board.

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Being in Vegas, I still haven't looked at the hopper. Being that I tried a different hopper and it worked, what problem could there be with the control board. Also, how do the plates work? There must be an easy fix. Loose wire, misaligned contact, bad connection to wire harness.

MEP001

Reaction score
Does the system not tell you WHY the changer is shutting down? This will help you in the diagnosis.

It seems like you've eliminated the control board as a problem. Even if it was, knowing what the problem with it is would not change the fact that it needs professional repair.

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
3 quarters stuck in the outgoing sensor/photoeye. Removed and now working.

Randy

Reaction score
You got real lucky. There are 3 boards inside the MKIV Hopper, a Logic control board, MOV motor board and an Exit Board. Any one of those 3 go, you’re dead in the water.