What's new

meeting with an architect

parsonii

Reaction score
new to the business and picked up what i think is an ideal site for an express wash. it's zoned high density mixed use. my questions:

1. tunnel lengths vary. what is absolutely ideal: 110,120,130 or 140?
2. im certain the zoning board won't allow me to build a one story building (the minimum is 2 stories and 18 feet). how do i make the numbers work with a top floor? what other business can i attempt to get as a tenant?
3. has anyone seen an attractively designed two story express wash? i've googled imaged a bazillion pics and haven't seen anything.

the architectural firm i picked hasn't done any car washes but i've picked them specifically because of their reputation with the zoning commission and i want them to think out of the box. thanks guys.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Use the search function and read all the existing threads about this topic. Then get back to the members here and maybe someone will help you avoid blowing a lot of money.

briteauto

Reaction score
new to the business and picked up what i think is an ideal site for an express wash. it's zoned high density mixed use. my questions:

1. tunnel lengths vary. what is absolutely ideal: 110,120,130 or 140?
2. im certain the zoning board won't allow me to build a one story building (the minimum is 2 stories and 18 feet). how do i make the numbers work with a top floor? what other business can i attempt to get as a tenant?
3. has anyone seen an attractively designed two story express wash? i've googled imaged a bazillion pics and haven't seen anything.

the architectural firm i picked hasn't done any car washes but i've picked them specifically because of their reputation with the zoning commission and i want them to think out of the box. thanks guys.
Way too many things to address here in a post like this, but think long and hard about using an architectual firm that has never done a car wash. I'm not saying they cannot do it, but if you want them to think outside the box, they need to know what the box is first. Also, would you pick an equipment distributor that has never done an installation of your equipment prior to your project?

Again, I'm sure you can find operators who have been successful in this scenario, but I would be very cautious.

Mike

Last edited:

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“New to the business”

“tunnel lengths vary. what is absolutely ideal: 110,120,130 or 140?”

Tunnel length is determined by first estimating market potential and then following design guidelines for property depth and width planning.

“how do i make the numbers work with a top floor?”

The simplest way is to use a false floor. If you build to suit, you may run afoul of other “mixed use” restrictions such as purpose (tenant use), parking spaces as well as added expense for stairwell, bathrooms, HVAC, etc., etc.

Choosing an architectural firm with knowledge of the local political climate is wise and an architect without carwash experience is not necessarily bad as long as you have formed a project team with carwash experience.

Based on your post, my assessment is you have the cart before the horse.

Consider these steps.

- Location site analysis to assess market strength and customer attraction rate

- Concept or pre-feasibility study to assess business model and design-related, economic and financial factors and test exit strategy

After these steps, you would have enough information to justify spending $4,500 on an architect to draw the concept - site layout and building elevation.

Hope this helps

parsonii

Reaction score
“New to the business”

The simplest way is to use a false floor. If you build to suit, you may run afoul of other “mixed use” restrictions such as purpose (tenant use), parking spaces as well as added expense for stairwell, bathrooms, HVAC, etc., etc.

Choosing an architectural firm with knowledge of the local political climate is wise and an architect without carwash experience is not necessarily bad as long as you have formed a project team with carwash experience.

Based on your post, my assessment is you have the cart before the horse.

Consider these steps.

- Location site analysis to assess market strength and customer attraction rate

- Concept or pre-feasibility study to assess business model and design-related, economic and financial factors and test exit strategy

After these steps, you would have enough information to justify spending $4,500 on an architect to draw the concept - site layout and building elevation.

Hope this helps
thanks for your thoughtful reply robert, you're right cart before the horse but that's kinda how how i've been throughout my life --- if i have a gut i go for it. sure i've lost money and have made mistakes but my biggest regrets in life had been things i didn't jump on. the site is ideal and the land is bought. i have to develop the land and my choices are do i want to ground lease it or build a building, spec it out and become a landlord or become an operator. the last option has the most appeal for me for lots of reasons. i live in the neighborhood and i drive 15 miles past two full service carwashes and multiple ss's to go to this one xpress wash that that has nailed the concept. i can duplicate it in this neighborhood where the barrier to entrance is high because of mixed use zoning and cost of land.