What's new

Maybe this is elementary but... R/O Question

cdreed06

Reaction score
Ok, I am new to the car wash scene but have been a mechanic for many years. We have a D&S R/O system, one in bay automatic, 2 self serve bays and one truck bay. Whenever anybody in any bay selects RO then we have a good stream out of every pressure wand. About as much as the weep system puts out. When the automatic is on the RO rinse then we get more pressure at the wands. When we select presoak at the self serve then someone else selects RO it thins the presoak down drastically. I know it is a check valve problem but where would it be? Wouldn't it have to be at the RO unit itself since the problem is everywhere including the automatic that is self contained within the pump room? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

MEP001

Reaction score
There is usually a separate RO pump for the auto and for the SS bays on D&S equipment. If there isn't, more than likely one of them went out and someone jury-rigged the system to one pump. If there are two separate pumps, the auto pump and the SS pump should not be connected together anywhere, but it sounds like they are.

It's not a check valve problem that allows RO to come out of all bays when one is selected, it's a solenoid problem. Check them for debris or damage that could cause them to be stuck open. Or maybe the solenoid manifold failed and someone just removed it and plumbed everything together.

Take some photos and post them here. (Use a site like imageshack.us to host them)

cdreed06

Reaction score
The automatic is a recent install using the existing RO system. I don't know why I didn't think of the solenoid before... thank you. I will try to get some photos this eve and I will look into the solenoids. There is one pump serving the whole system. Thank you very much, this is the reason I read this forum every day. Always learn something.

MEP001

Reaction score
I was referring to the delivery system - there is only one pump to supply RO water to both the auto and the SS bays? I'm sure as long as the pump is adequate for both that it shouldn't be a problem, but it is unusual. Are you sure the "one pump" you're looking at isn't the production one and the others are mounted somewhere else?

Since the RO pressure at the bays gets higher with the auto calling for RO, it makes me assume there are two separate delivery pumps.

cdreed06

Reaction score
Maybe the higher pressure is my imagination... It is storming today so didn't spend much time there. I'll get pics tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Etowah