What's new

max distance from nozzle to vehicle

carwashireland

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the optimum distance from a vehicle is on a pdq or similar touchless machine. In particular the front and rear.

MEP001

Reaction score
It can actually vary depending on the tip. I'm most familiar with the Belanger Vector which recommends no more than 18", but I've found the MEG tips it comes with lose most of the impact at just 6". Veespray tips have good impact at 24" and still more than MEG at 36".

carwashireland

Reaction score
tip sizes

It can actually vary depending on the tip. I'm most familiar with the Belanger Vector which recommends no more than 18", but I've found the MEG tips it comes with lose most of the impact at just 6". Veespray tips have good impact at 24" and still more than MEG at 36".
Wow, I never realized that there would be that big a difference in impingement with these types of nozzles! This is for an inverted L machine so I guess I need to size up the gpm and spray angles. Are the veespray tips you mentioned from "spraying systems inc?" Any idea on the ones you use MEP?

MEP001

Reaction score
The Vector has twin inverted L arms so it's the same concept.

I did put slightly larger/wider tips in the bottom two fittings, mostly because of the muddy trucks that come through, but the rest are the OEM size and degree. I've used both Spraying Systems and General Pump tips and get the same results from them both. General tips are cheaper and have a hardened insert which should make them last longer than Spraying Systems veesprays, though I've never tested it.

I also noticed less waste of presoak since veesprays have a bit of an oval pattern and put the soap on with less misting than the ultra-flat MEG tips.

MEP001

Reaction score
I haven't tried them, but from what I've read they should be somewhere between what the veespray does and what the MEG is supposed to do at 6".

wash12

Reaction score
I have a pdq 360 and notice I can put my hand 12" away from the arch on a high pressure rinse and it feels very weak to me I feel like it should sting the hand a bit to have it actually be strong enough to pull dirt off the car.

Anyone know what nozzles come standard with the pdq 360?

Would I go the same size tips just with the veespray brand and that should give me a better impact?

MEP001

Reaction score
Search directly for your tip size by typing H1/4VV-SS or H1/8VV-SS and adding your tip size, example H1/4VV-SS1504 takes you right to that tip, or search without the tip size and it will show all of that type. They stock a lot more tips than show on the site, and they will order any that you ask for.

wash12

Reaction score
Search directly for your tip size by typing H1/4VV-SS or H1/8VV-SS and adding your tip size, example H1/4VV-SS1504 takes you right to that tip, or search without the tip size and it will show all of that type. They stock a lot more tips than show on the site, and they will order any that you ask for.
What is the difference between the Imeg and the veespray nozzles? I need something with more impact I think I am running meg nozzles or whatever comes standard with pdq and its somewhat a mist at 15 inches out not a direct punch, I need a more knife like cut what would work best and do I keep them the same size on the PDQ just change to the veespray or imeg and I should see a difference?

carwashireland

Reaction score
Today I received some imeg nozzles and some pmeg. I could not see much difference with the imeg but tge pmeg definitely kept its shape without misting for a longer distance than the meg. My complex impact testing meter (my hand) felt more impact with the pmeg. For a few dollars it would be worth switching. Just change the megs for the same size pmegs!

wash12

Reaction score
Today I received some imeg nozzles and some pmeg. I could not see much difference with the imeg but tge pmeg definitely kept its shape without misting for a longer distance than the meg. My complex impact testing meter (my hand) felt more impact with the pmeg. For a few dollars it would be worth switching. Just change the megs for the same size pmegs!
What are pmegs? I never heard of them and where do you order these? I switched from meg to imeg and saw very little difference, I also used the hand test and seemed about the same.

mac

Reaction score
There is a rule in mathematics called the inverse square rule. This applies to many, many different fields including this. It states that when you double the distance from a spray source to the object being sprayed, the force decreases by four times. So if you have 1000 psi water at 12" distance, at 24"distance you have 250 psi. So all of you who think an inverted L is sooo great, look at the distance from the tip to the hood or rear trunk of a car. Sorry to confuse this with facts. If I am wrong please give me information that explains this in a different way. And I do not consider sales info from a site to be a credible source. Just the facts mam. Sgt. Friday.

carwashireland

Reaction score
pmegs

What are pmegs? I never heard of them and where do you order these? I switched from meg to imeg and saw very little difference, I also used the hand test and seemed about the same.
I got these from a UK company called G&S penrith. I will try and find out who makes them and will then post!

carwashireland

Reaction score
There is a rule in mathematics called the inverse square rule. This applies to many, many different fields including this. It states that when you double the distance from a spray source to the object being sprayed, the force decreases by four times. So if you have 1000 psi water at 12" distance, at 24"distance you have 250 psi. So all of you who think an inverted L is sooo great, look at the distance from the tip to the hood or rear trunk of a car. Sorry to confuse this with facts. If I am wrong please give me information that explains this in a different way. And I do not consider sales info from a site to be a credible source. Just the facts mam. Sgt. Friday.
Wise words as ever Mac and very true!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Yep. everyone loves their inverted L machine until they have a dirty car come through, lol.....

Inverted Ls are almost non-existent in my area. IMO they just don't offer enough impact to clean reliably. I bought a wash with two vectors and watched them struggle. I yanked them out and put in gantry units. They cleaned much better with the same chemistry.